DO IT>>> :)

Talk about anything here.
cimota

Re: DO IT>>> :)

Post by cimota »

Myth 2 would be well within the CPU/GPU of the iPhone and iPad. Easily within the capabilities. Myth 3 maybe less so - but then I don't know if we need 3D representations of everything from Warrior to Squirrel.

I've been looking at (and buying) a lot of RTS games on iPhone and nothing as yet compares to Myth 2. SO - I'm going to put together a touch-enabled Myth-a-like using the Unity engine with some sweat equity from a couple of friends and colleagues. The only direct similarities will be the way the units and camera are controlled - though obviously through a touch interface.

I'm not a coder - I'm a player who also has a lot of friends in industry - and if the guys here wanted to put something together which was a Myth-a-like for iPad, I'd be first in line to buy it.
Baak

Post by Baak »

I think vr may be being sarcastic, haravikk. ;)

Although I've never known him to be sarcastic before.*

* - thinly veiled sarcasm. ;)
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

I reckon it'd be badass. And at the same time, it would bring the Number Of Things The iPad Is Actually Good For up to ... 1.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

myth itself might be able to run fine on the hardware (honestly have no idea), but i think the hard part would be transferring a 2-handed tons-of-key-command + 2-3 button/scroll mouse interface into a one handed interface. i could see obvious equivalents for the most common keyboard commands, but not for the obscure ones or all the mouse-keyboard combos. presets? unit formations? i am just having a hard time imagining how one could play myth one-handed - which is pretty much how ipad/iphone/touch work - hold the device with one hand, gesture with the other.
ozone

Post by ozone »

You could put formations on one side and inventory or presets on the other so all you have to do is select with either thumb... Sure things may have to be set up a lil different but imo I dont see it being that hard to figure it out what would work best.
do it.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

i dunno, when i am playing myth it's a 2 handed endevor, and that's just for active +playing+. formations, yelling, whispering all take my hands OFF their normal location and break the game play (like to see how communicating with teammates would work), SO I can't see how you could do all the things WHILE playing that currently take 2 hands with the iPhone interface.

not saying it can't be done, just saying i have a hard time imagining how you would do it and have it as easy to play as it currently is.

of course If anyone did port Myth to the iPad/iPhone, you'd definitely want one of these to play it on.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

vinylrake wrote:SO I can't see how you could do all the things WHILE playing that currently take 2 hands with the iPhone interface.
Take 2 involvement confirmed.

EDIT: This is a joke, just fyis everyone. :)
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
cimota

Post by cimota »

vinylrake wrote:myth itself might be able to run fine on the hardware (honestly have no idea), but i think the hard part would be transferring a 2-handed tons-of-key-command + 2-3 button/scroll mouse interface into a one handed interface. i could see obvious equivalents for the most common keyboard commands, but not for the obscure ones or all the mouse-keyboard combos. presets? unit formations? i am just having a hard time imagining how one could play myth one-handed - which is pretty much how ipad/iphone/touch work - hold the device with one hand, gesture with the other.
I see it more for playing on your lap or when you've got one of those nice kickstand cases on.

Two hands makes for a lot. Draw a circle on the map, selected troops form a circle. Plus you've got plenty of room for transparent HUD-like overlays which can pop up with the tap of a small part of the screen and be dismissed as easily.

For example, I did this list of touch events up for my planned Myth-a-like:

The only stuff I use here are single finger, two fingers, single tap and double tap. Anyone used to the iPhone would know there's a gazillion more options.

I also list four onscreen buttons which will bring on an on-screen transparent hud overlay.

SINGLE TOUCH EVENTS, NO UNIT SELECTED
Ground - displays information about current mission
Friendly Unit - Selects Unit, displays unit information, individual health and capabilities.
Enemy Unit - displays information
Touch and Hold - Set Rally Point

SINGLE TOUCH EVENTS, UNIT SELECTED
Ground - Move to Location
Friendly Unit - Changes Selection, displays new unit information
Enemy Unit - [Move to Attack Range, Attack] with Primary weapon

DOUBLE TOUCH EVENTS, NO UNIT SELECTED
Ground - Centre map on location
Friendly Unit - Select all units of same type within radius R
Enemy Unit - All friendly units within radius R move to attack with Primary weapon

TWO FINGER TOUCH EVENT
Pinch to zoom
Pan over landscape
Rotate

TWO FINGER DOUBLE TOUCH EVENT
Zoom Out

BUTTONS

FORMATION BUTTON
Line Formation
Double Line Formation
Marching Line
V Formation
Inverted Wedge
Circle
ORDERS
Attack - units will move to attack nearest enemy unit unless directed
Patrol - units will move between two selected points and attack on sight
Charge - units will move forwards 2x speed, sacrificed defense
Hold - units will not retreat
Break - units break formation and try to escape.
Retreat - units return to Rally Point, otherwise Break
WEAPON TOGGLE BUTTON
Ranged / Melee - Fix Bayonets, Switch to Melee
SPECIAL BUTTON

UNITS
Infantry - primary attack with Rifle, Secondary with Bayonet/Club
Cavalry - primary attack sword, Secondary with horse trample
Artillery - primary with cannon, secondary with sword
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

there's no way it's going to be able to play Myth2:TWindA anyways
AFAIK nobody has ever made a plugin with such a title.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

oogaBooga wrote:AFAIK nobody has ever made a plugin with such a title.
Quick question: Is there any doubt WHICH plugin I am referring to?

'Myth 2' is to indicate which the game the plugin is for. I could of course just call it TWindA, which I normally do.

The reason I abbreviate the plugin name to 'TWindA' is because :

a) I get tired of typing the whole name (I am lazy)
b) When I type the whole name, about 50% of the time I accidently type "The Wolf Age" instead and then have to go back and correct it. (I am lazy so this is annoying)
c) I can't just call it 'TWA' because TWA is already commonly used to refer to Myth 3: The Wolf Age.

Less time spent nitpicking semantics and more time spent working on projects would be a good thing.
ozone

Post by ozone »

Sometimes the frog gets away from the cat but is later swallowed by a duck.
do it.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

oogaBooga wrote:
there's no way it's going to be able to play Myth2:TWindA anyways
AFAIK nobody has ever made a plugin with such a title.

please stay on topic both of you
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

ok.

How would a scrawny CPU and graphics card like that in an iPad be able to handle the hi-res units and particles of TWindA, that even a 2009 iMac/MacMini can't handle well?
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

Quick question: Is there any doubt WHICH plugin I am referring to?

'Myth 2' is to indicate which the game the plugin is for. I could of course just call it TWindA, which I normally do.

The reason I abbreviate the plugin name to 'TWindA' is because :

a) I get tired of typing the whole name (I am lazy)
b) When I type the whole name, about 50% of the time I accidently type "The Wolf Age" instead and then have to go back and correct it. (I am lazy so this is annoying)
c) I can't just call it 'TWA' because TWA is already commonly used to refer to Myth 3: The Wolf Age.

Less time spent nitpicking semantics and more time spent working on projects would be a good thing.
insipid
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

ooga, please try to stay on topic.