technicalities for submissions

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
phordicus2

technicalities for submissions

Post by phordicus2 »

is there a standard disclaimer and copyright format for map submissions? i make sure to give credit to sources and influences but i just want to make sure i don't leave anything out.

thanks.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: technicalities for submissions

Post by Pyro »

I know submissions in the past would sometimes include one, but if there ever was such a requirement it isn't something that is being enforced.
phordicus2

Post by phordicus2 »

groovy. thx for the info.

p.s. your av makes me want to break out TES IV again.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

It's (un)common courtesy to give credit where credit is due, so other than adding a disclaimer / credit for any resources your plugin/map might 'borrow' from other maps/plugins it doesn't hurt to credit the creators of the game and content that your Myth map/plugin couldn't exist without .

An old disclaimer I used for one of my maps incorporated the standard Bungie disclaimer (which Bungie stated had to accompany any 3rd party releases created for Myth with their mapmaking tools]: (obviously the first half is the 'standard' disclaimer)

This map was created in part with "Fear" and "Loathing" which along with "Myth" and "Soulblighter" are copyright Bungie Software, and parts of this map may fall under Bungie's copyright as well so pass over me attorneys of death and cast not your gaze upon me as I have recited the sacred words.

Since the copyright holders have changed over the years it's up for debate who should be credited these days. A more recent disclaimer I used was:

Balls o' Det' were created by me, vinylrake, using Fear, which was created and is copyright by Bungie. Some material contained in BoD is in theory still copyrighted by Bungie, but since Bungie is no longer the owner of Myth, and is no more than a department of Microsoft, I don't know if they really hold the copyright or not these days - but still Bungie should be acknowledged for creating such a great game and releasing their mapmaking tools into the public domain even if they did later sell their souls by embracing the Borg. If anyone other than Bungie owns the rights to the Bungie created netball components contained in BoD then of course replace "Bungie" in the sentences above with their name. If they have a problem with that they can have their legal people get in touch with my legal people and we can do lunch.

again, it may not be legally required, but it doesn't hurt anyone to include a disclaimer either.
phordicus2

Post by phordicus2 »

submitted. do i email an admin or will they check in?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Usually they take notice and approve, if they don't that could mean one of two things. One, something was wrong and therefore it was not approved. Two, they haven't noticed (99% of the time this is the reason). If it takes them a little longer than you expected, you could always make a thread about it on the Tain subsection.
phordicus2

Post by phordicus2 »

i pm'd DA according to an old but still near-the-top thread about pending submissions. it's been a few days (notwithstanding a just-now revision) so if someone with the Power to Effect Change sees this, i'd appreciate it! :D

EDIT: thx to DA, pyro, and vr!