Any games like Myth today?

Talk about anything here.
TheAdvocate

Any games like Myth today?

Post by TheAdvocate »

Are there any games out there today that are similar or comparable to Myth? (Mac or PC) Does anything even come close?

If not, wouldn't it be cool if someone did a re-release of Myth with super detailed graphics in high resolution?
GodzFire

Re: Any games like Myth today?

Post by GodzFire »

No, there is nothing that comes close to Myth today. It's a unique type of gaming experience.

It WOULD be cool if someone re-released Myth with updated everything, but you can be almost sure that will never happen as long as Take2 owns the series, and continues to neglect it or even realize they own it.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

given recent news events, I would like to rescind my recommendation for the TWindA units as they were created under dubious (unethical) circumstances.
Last edited by vinylrake on Mon May 31, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dac

Post by dac »

I have been wondering the same thing and found two prospects, but have not yet played them so this is all speculation:

theatre of war (looks like myth style tactics with ww2 style units, not the ww2 plug for myth but actual ww2 models that are the design of the game)

combat mission: shock troopers. similar to theatre of war, looked like it had slighly less modern graphics but I was told it was a good game. who knows! I plan on finding out sometime soon.
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

vinylrake wrote:given recent news events, I would like to rescind my recommendation for the TWindA units as they were created under dubious (unethical) circumstances.
No, they werent. Youre confusing whatever took place between renwood and with normal unit production (which I was in charge of). The units werent obtained illegally (no more illegally than magma merely posessing them, at any rate).
Giant Killer General

Post by Giant Killer General »

Actually, nothing Magma is doing is illegal because they have the expressed consent (either written or verbal) of Take Two Interactive to be in possession of their materials. The consent is implied in that Magma formally requested whatever materials that they currently possess, directly from Take-Two, and Take-Two voluntarily gave it to them for not-for-sale purposes. There is also nothing stopping Take-Two from simply stopping anyone from touching myth intellectual property ever again, but obviously they have chosen not to. Magma is in keeping with the terms, as they have not so much as attempted to sell anything for a single penny. Renwood clearly violated those terms as soon as he sold property that does not belong to him for profit. It seems everyone else understand this outrageously simple legal concept except you (and Renwood.)

Nice attempted "but they are in possession too so what we did is okay" defense. I am sure that defense worked out well for the criminals who tried to tell the judge that others are doing the same crime. As if it would somehow make it okay, or less illegal. Except then again, and as I already mentioned, Magma didn't do what Renwood did, so really your argument is just laughable.
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

The consent is implied in that Magma formally requested whatever materials that they currently possess, directly from Take-Two, and Take-Two voluntarily gave it to them for not-for-sale purposes.
Wrong. Magma got them from MythDev, not take 2. There is no express written consent from take2 to magma - only for MythDev. Why do you insist on speaking of matters you know nothing about?
Giant Killer General

Post by Giant Killer General »

The consent was direct from Take Two, the materials don't have to be direct from Take Two, obviously that doesn't matter. Someone from Magma said they spoke with Take Two, and had their blessing. It doesn't matter where the materials specifically came from, Take Two has the rights to all of it, their permission is all that matters. Also, possession of the materials is still not illegal. Again, the actual sale of the property is.

Not so intelligent, are you?
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

Someone from Magma said they spoke with Take Two, and had their blessing.
Then they lied.
their permission is all that matters.
Permission was given to MythDev, not magma.
Also, possession of the materials is still not illegal. Again, the actual sale of the property is.
Wrong. Only groups with direct permission from take two can legally handle the original materials. That means MythDev. Blades gave the models to deqlyn who handed them off to magma. Blades did not give the models directly TO magma, he gave them to deqlyn - so it wasn't even a group-to-group exchange. Deqlyn, on his own time, AS AN INDIVIDUAL, petitioned blade for the models and was successful.

Neither Deqlyn nor magma have express permission from take 2. It was a passing of the baton. Legality does not transfer because the files do.

Anyways, this is all moot considering TAKE 2 DOESNT GIVE ENOUGH OF A FUCK TO SEND A LEGAL C&D ORDER. Because no money is being made by magma. End of story.
Not so intelligent, are you?
I would ask you the same thing, but I've known the answer for some time now.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I think you're still managing to bypass the whole debacle ooga. Renwood DID sell the stuff, FOR profit. Cash monies. That's wrong in every way.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Ooga you need to: 1) Relax. and 2) Stop spreading lies and FUD about Magma.

The line between Magma and MythDev is blurry. Many people are in both groups. Yes, new people have been recruited since the original agreement, and they legitimately work with the original materials because they were chosen to do so by the founding members.

Besides, this is totally irrelevant to the fact that Renwood SOLD something he doesn't own.

Don't be tempted to derail any other threads with this topic. (Consider this a warning.)