Does Myth TFL/SB/tools Under "Classic Mode" on OSX work?

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Isolder

Does Myth TFL/SB/tools Under "Classic Mode" on OSX work?

Post by Isolder »

I'm looking to buy an older, PPC based Mac.

The Mac I choose highly depends on the answer to the subject line question:

Will Myth TFL + the TFL Editing tools (specifically Loathing, Tagedit, Extractor) work under Classic Mode? When I say Classic Mode I mean the emulated OS9 that is available in early versions of OS X for PPC Machines. I am not referring to booting into OS 9.

I'm looking for someone that's actually used them under these modes to verify.

Thanks
Jon God

Re: Does Myth TFL/SB/tools Under "Classic Mode" on OSX work?

Post by Jon God »

Isolder wrote:I'm looking to buy an older, PPC based Mac.

The Mac I choose highly depends on the answer to the subject line question:

Will Myth TFL + the TFL Editing tools (specifically Loathing, Tagedit, Extractor) work under Classic Mode? When I say Classic Mode I mean the emulated OS9 that is available in early versions of OS X for PPC Machines. I am not referring to booting into OS 9.

I'm looking for someone that's actually used them under these modes to verify.

Thanks
Do they work under sheepshaver?
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Hardly anyone has made TFL maps for years and years, but one can assume the computers that those tools were written on were on PPC based Macs.
Correct me if I'm wrong but booting up Classic Mode and booting INTO OS9 is the same thing. I've never run into a single "Old" app that wouldn't run on 10.4.11 on my G4 in Classic Mode.

If you've got some tools on hand, I'd be willing to have a go at making them launch, to verify for you, but I think it's safe to say you're good to go.
Isolder

Post by Isolder »

There are various differences between the "classic" mode and actually booting into os9, according to the Classic Environment article on wikipedia. Including..
Classic's compatibility is good, provided the application using it does not require direct access to hardware or engage in full-screen drawing. However, it is not a perfect clone of a Mac OS 9 computer. Early releases of Mac OS X 10.2 would often fail to draw window frames of Classic applications correctly, and after Classic windowing was made double buffered in Mac OS X v10.3, some older applications and games sometimes failed to update the screen properly, such as the original Macintosh port of Doom.
Some things just don't run under Classic. I'm very torn about whether or not I want to risk that with the apps I have or just go ahead and buy a much older machine that I know can boot Mac OS 9.

The most important apps to see compatible are: TFL Fear and Loathing and Macsbug MacsBug must be installed in order to open TFL Loathing so you can knock out two birds with one stone there.

Some other things I'd like to know if are compatible are Full Throttle and Rebel Assault and Tie Fighter, but pretty sure you don't have those available. :)
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Maybe you didn't fully understand my meaning. If you have "Classic Mode" available on any PPC computer, you can go into Preferences, go to Startup Disk, and choose MacOS 9.x.x and boot into it directly. So, if 9/10 apps work fine in Classic and you've got that 1/10 that you need to finish off the new map or whatever, you CAN boot into os9 itself to finish the task off.
Isolder

Post by Isolder »

Actually, no you can't boot into Classic on "every" PPC computer.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/by_capa ... assic.html

Many of the PPC machines listed here support "Classic Mode" emulation but not "Classic Boot."

After thinking more about the full screen redraw thing I think that pretty much confirms I'm going to have to stick with one of the much older, slower macs that can actually boot into OS9.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

If you are making maps you aren't going to need much for speed. Even an old 300Mhz blue and white G3 will boot either OS9 or OSX and will be all the speed you need for Mapmaking tools. Definitely get a better deal if you buy locally (craigslist or the equiv) but if you are looking for something online lowendmac has some good links for places to look.

http://lowendmac.com/deals.shtml
devSin

Post by devSin »

Isolder wrote:Will Myth TFL + the TFL Editing tools (specifically Loathing, Tagedit, Extractor) work under Classic Mode? When I say Classic Mode I mean the emulated OS9 that is available in early versions of OS X for PPC Machines. I am not referring to booting into OS 9.
They should work just fine under Classic.

I dare say that TagEdit under Classic blows Mac OS X-native Fear straight out of the galaxy, although there are some hideous UI behaviors that are going to make you frown (navigating long pop-up menus is extremely painful, and 90% of the interaction in TagEdit is through pop-up menus).
Isolder

Post by Isolder »

Thanks for the input guys. I ended up getting a 17" iMac 800 mhz G4 through eBay. Paid a bit much, but at least I'll have it.

Apparently some iMac 800 mhz machines can only boot into OSX.. mine hasn't arrived yet.. hope it can do OS9 when it gets here.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Isolder wrote:Apparently some iMac 800 mhz machines can only boot into OSX.. mine hasn't arrived yet.. hope it can do OS9 when it gets here.
I would be surprised if any of them don't boot into OS X, as I have a G3 iMac happily running OS X.4. Indeed the 10.5 installer should even let you install to any G4 machine, as it only dropped support for G3's, though I've no idea how well it would run.
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

he's not concerned about whether his machine can boot under OSX or not - that's a given, he's not sure if his machine can ONLY boot up in OSX.