black screened

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
king paris

black screened

Post by king paris »

hello, i am experiencing black screen technical issues about 1 out of every 4 games. this is really annoying and constantly causes me to lag during PT, unable to speak, and then spectate the random blue and red boxes sreaking around with varying healthbars also the F7 player display and game chat available to smear the screen for rest of the game, which also makes myth need to be restarted for a correct load.

the first symptom of this is when the 'loading' post pre-game launch begins.

suggestions? comments? questions?

por que.
hey :D
GodzFire

Re: black screened

Post by GodzFire »

Operating System
Myth Version
Graphic Render-er set in Myth (OpenGL, Software, etc)
Copy of Myth Log when this happened
When it first started happening
king paris

Post by king paris »

windows XP
myth 1.7.1 build 356
1280x1024 OpenGL

myth log:
2010-07-12 19:33:04
Myth II Build 356 running under Modern Windows 5.010000 ----------------------------------------------
Loading poweruser.txt... not found.
Error: Data Corrupted in .\Myth2Code\tag_files\tag_files.c, line #3547: the monolithic file 'plugins\black.gif' has no header
Error: Data Corrupted in .\Myth2Code\tag_files\tag_files.c, line #3547: the monolithic file 'plugins\blue.gif' has no header
Error: Data Corrupted in .\Myth2Code\tag_files\tag_files.c, line #3547: the monolithic file 'plugins\Icon_' has no header
Error: Data Corrupted in .\Myth2Code\tag_files\tag_files.c, line #3547: the monolithic file 'plugins\Magma - UTB Expansion' has no header
Scanning for software devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for Direct3D devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for 3Dfx devices...
Found 0 to use
Scanning for OpenGL devices...
Found 1 to use
Using GDI for Input
Mouse appears to have 3 buttons and 3 axes.
Initialized for DirectSound3D using COM
Error: Data Corrupted in .\Myth2Code\tag_files\tag_files.c, line #3547: the monolithic file 'plugins\black.gif' has no header
Error: Data Corrupted in .\Myth2Code\tag_files\tag_files.c, line #3547: the monolithic file 'plugins\blue.gif' has no header
Error: Data Corrupted in .\Myth2Code\tag_files\tag_files.c, line #3547: the monolithic file 'plugins\Icon_' has no header
Error: Data Corrupted in .\Myth2Code\tag_files\tag_files.c, line #3547: the monolithic file 'plugins\Magma - UTB Expansion' has no header
Error: Data Corrupted in .\Myth2Code\tag_files\tag_files.c, line #3547: the monolithic file 'plugins\yellow.gif' has no header
Loading Patch Files...
Patch 1.2
Patch MariusNet
Patch 1.3
Patch 1.4
Mazzarin's Demise Interface
Patch 1.5
Patch 1.7 Templates
Loading Patch Files Succeeded
Warning: Unable to find cutscene 'prologue'.
Establishing connection with metaserver at myth.mariusnet.com:6321...
Connected.
Running OpenGL at 1280 x 1024, 16 bit
Starting mesh "If I Had a Trow..."...
Using 1.7.0 gameplay...
Quitting networked game...
Starting mesh "If I Had a Trow..."...
Using 1.7.0 gameplay...
Starting mesh "Acts of Cruelty" with 1 plugin...
Acts of Piety v1.0
Using 1.7.0 gameplay...
Starting mesh "Barbarian Valley T.E. - Dark" with 1 plugin...
Barbarian Valley Tourney 2.2
Using 1.7.0 gameplay...
Starting mesh "Caer Cadarn (Dark)" with 1 plugin...
Caer_Cadarn
Using 1.7.0 gameplay...
Starting mesh "Lichen Unto Death õ.õ" with 1 plugin...
Lichen_Final
Using 1.7.0 gameplay...
Starting mesh "Proving Grounds"...
Using 1.7.0 gameplay...
Starting mesh "Killing Grounds"...
Using 1.7.0 gameplay...
Starting mesh "Gyre in the Wabe"...
Using 1.7.0 gameplay...

happened @ gyre

started happening 5-6 years ago happens all the time now.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

This has been going on for 5-6 YEARS....and you just decide to post about it now? Wow.....

First off, there's a very good chance it's an issue with your graphics drivers. I suggest going to the manufacturer's website and download the most up-to-date drivers.

This is the most likely problem and solution. I'll let others post as well.
Idles

Post by Idles »

Hey dude. So it's been going on for 5 years? Has it only been happening on this 1 computer (so the computer is 5 years old)? Also, what model is your graphics card, and when did you last update your graphics card drivers?

If you need instructions on how to find out those details, let us know.
king paris

Post by king paris »

nvidia geforce4 MX 420 card

drivers should be up to date...
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Still, you should go to nvidia's website and download whatever the new's drivers are regardless. It's the only way to be sure you have the most up to date ones, and to eliminate that as a possible cause for your problem.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

See if this link detects any graphics drivers for your card. Go to it from the computer you have the issue on of course.

You said this has been happening for years, I assume on the same computer (and same graphics card) right?
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

I'm curious as to where all those 'Error: Data Corrupted' messages are coming from.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

king paris wrote: black screen technical issues about 1 out of every 4 games.

windows XP
myth 1.7.1 build 356
1280x1024 OpenGL
Update drivers, if that does not fix the problem then switch to the Direct3D or Software rendering options.
GodzFire wrote:you just decide to post about it now? Wow.....
Uncalled for.
GodzFire wrote:I'm curious as to where all those 'Error: Data Corrupted' messages are coming from.
From having non-plugins in the plugins folder.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

I too have non-plugins in my plugins folder. Stuff like folders and files with different extensions like TXT, RTF, PDF, OMP, etc. But I don't get error messages. I'm sure it isn't important though.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Melekor wrote:
GodzFire wrote:you just decide to post about it now? Wow.....
Uncalled for.
Personal opinion. Can't believe someone would wait 5 years to finally do something about it if it was causing them problems for that entire time.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

sometimes occassional problems get more annoying over time.

also, if the goal is to get people to report problems it's counterproductive for criticizing their timeliness in reporting. mentioning the timeframe is a good indicator that it's not a new problem unique to a recent build so that's crucial info for developers to have - no point in editorializing.
king paris

Post by king paris »

well the problem was sporadic before and then it just started happening a lot more often than it should have.

so this is what i did

i went into prefs and switched to software for a while. on opengl i had a bunch of shit checked off that i fucked around with and still had problems while trying the open gl.
I Also updated drivers around this time of using software mode and kept trying opengl !!!
i then repatched to 1.4.3(?) build on the website, cuz I was lookin at some old films
i then repatched to 1.7.1 and went back to open gl but didn't check any boxes off in the prefs (i.e. vsync, max fps, etc) and now the black screen error doesn't show up at all, or at least, i haven't seen in in a week or two (perhaps why i stopped posting here, and also perhaps due to updating my driver)

but now my problem is whenever rain/snow starts on a map it glides through the screen without refreshing the screen if i change camera angles. If i don't move the camera, it doesn't streak. the only way to refresh the screen is to right click (assigned to deselect) and i can continue playing while the streaky stuff goes on and see my units, but the map and everything else gets all fucked up and distorted.