Myth font for windows (Hiroshige)

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
deadman

Myth font for windows (Hiroshige)

Post by deadman »

Hey guys,

I've found plenty of places to grab this font for macs, but I can't for the life of me find it for windows.

Now, keep in mind I'm new to the world of fonts, so that previous statement may be idiotic and rife with misunderstanding on the way fonts work, so please bear with my ignorance.

The goal is to make Bungie-style pregame images. I can either find the font for PC, or do the pregames on my mac (which would be a pain since I don't like firing it up for stuff like this).

Any help would be appreciated.
vinylrake

Re: Myth font for windows (Hiroshige)

Post by vinylrake »

it's been a long time since i've kept track of font technologies, but I am pretty sure that since around Windows2000, TrueType fonts work in either Macs or Windows - pretty sure there's an Adobe (Type1?) font type that is cross platform too. TrueType used to be the format 99% of free fonts were created in...

but my font knowledge is rusty, for all i know in the past few years Apple has introduced a new font standard based on nano-technology and Windows is using their own TrooType fonts that are a completely incompatible extension of normalTrueType.
deadman

Post by deadman »

Yah, see I have no real functional knowlege here... Let's say I get the font files or whatever, where do I put em? Theres a fonts folder in the system directory, or do I put somewhere in the photoshop folder?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

no idea how to add fonts in windows, but if you open up windows help and type in 'install fonts" you'll get a step by step guide.
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

C:\WINDOWS\Fonts is the path you place the font file in. You might look and see that your files are similar.
deadman

Post by deadman »

I think we're getting a bit off-focus here.

Really I want to know if anyone is using a PC and has the Hiroshige font, or knows where to get it for PC.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

the point of my comment was that IF the hiroshige font you have is a TrueType font in _theory_ it might work on either Macs OR Windows.

The font has to be a specific type of font, so it's either bitmapped (extremely unlikely unless you got it from a 15 year old source), or an outline font of which there are several types, there are (Adobe) Postscript type fonts and TrueType - those are the two that as of a few years ago were the most common.

If you already have a hiroshige font, why not just TRY READING the windows font install instructions and see if it works. Nothing to lose.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

To install fonts, go to Control Panel... Fonts. Then go to File... Install New Font and select the font file. I once heard dropping fonts in that font folder might not always work which is why installing it is better.
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

Ah thanks pyro, never had that problem but I guess I know what to do if my font doesn't show up.
deadman

Post by deadman »

alright ill see what i can do this evening.

what was throwing me off was that the font "files" were a big collection of 0kb files and one OSX file that had all the data in it
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

At least on XP and up, moving or copy/pasting files into the windows font folder is the same as installing them. You'll even see a little popup progressbar that says "installing fonts".