Image processing on Windows

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Melekor
Site Admin

Re: Image processing on Windows

Post by Melekor »

Cute. I'm not talking about having it integrated with the collection editor, which I still don't want (unless it's done right, which is really hard).
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Melekor wrote:It should be easy to rearrange the palette afterward using a second tool. If this is for making myth units we can add that functionality into Oak.
For one bitmap, yes its easy - lots of tools let you edit the colormap & swap colors around in the table. For several hundred bitmaps as typically required for a unit ... I don't know of anything that can change them all en batch.

Amber let you modify the colortable, but it didn't change the assignments of colours in the images. For instance, if the first colour (typically blue for the background) was changed to yellow, all bitmap backgrounds would become yellow - I believe Oak works that way too.

Perhaps if Oak had a "swap color" feature? That way the images could be imported, and in Oak a user can move blue from where-ever it is in the table up to position 0, swapping it with whatever color is there, swap the next non-used color to position 1 etc etc. Would that be possible?
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

If it helps Iron, I'd be more than happy to batch your renders in Photoshop and just ship back the indexed bmps for you.... It'd take me all of 10 minutes if you pre-create the colourtable you want used.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Thanks for the offer Gray - I'd just rather find a method of doing it myself, firstly so I know I can, and secondly as I rarely get a unit right first time (sometimes not even 5th time) so that's a lot of rendered images flying back & forth ;)
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Ooooh I hope Iron is making Mazzarin!
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

um, no. Not making anything yet :)
Baak

Post by Baak »

iron wrote:um, no. Not making anything yet :)
OMG it's got to be that TFL map I d/l'ed from The Mill and went nuts trying to get it to load in Myth II (because I didn't know the difference).

Tarped-indians?
Torpedo-endian?
Turpid-nun-again?

Dang, it's on the tip of my tongue... ;)
Point

Post by Point »

Myrd wrote:
Melekor wrote:It should be easy to rearrange the palette afterward using a second tool. If this is for making myth units we can add that functionality into Oak.
In fact, at one point this would just work with Oak. It had some code to detect if an image is "color-compatible" with the existing collection without having the exact same color table (i.e. all colors used in the image are in the collection's color table - even if the image is not saved in an indexed format) . So you'd be able to import those images just fine despite the color tables being in different order.

I think this may no longer work with the current version (not 100% sure though) - as Melekor convinced me that that feature wasn't generally useful.

This would be a great thing... since image ready can optimize the color table index the colors and export to png format the only problem is the color table is scrambled for each render image... if there was a way to sort the color table in oak then establish the background color as color 1 and separator as 2 and transparent as 3
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Just to clear up any confusion: It does accept inputs with scrambled palettes, as long as the colors in the image palette are a subset of the colors in the collection palette. What it does not accept is 24 bit or other non-paletted images.