optimal graphic setting for Myth 2

Talk about anything here.
Deceiver

optimal graphic setting for Myth 2

Post by Deceiver »

Okay guys, i want to know what is the best graphical setting for a Macbook pro unibody, its not that i lack hardware to have the game but i want the game to look as good as possible, so what are the options i should be running? what do u guys run.
Thank you all for keeping one of the greatest Mac games ever created, alive.
Zeph

Re: optimal graphic setting for Myth 2

Post by Zeph »

unibody macpro should be able to run the game at max settings! Just check every options, set it to opengl rendering and biggest resolution.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

It varies. The feature that allows you to use detail textures (Landscape Textures in prefs) will only work on OpenGL. Not all systems run well on OpenGL so you might have to compare with the other options. Software rendering should be a last resort. So if your system can take it, here are the settings you might want to use:

OpenGL
Resolution: Highest that matches your type of monitor
Landscape Textures
Anisotropic Filtering
VSync
3D Fog
Tex. Cache (MB): max*

*Hold Shift and press the up arrow to go to the max for your system.

After you set that, run a game and see how it feels. Press the Delete key (or Shift BackSpace if no Delete key) to show FPS (frames per second) on top of the overhead map area. If it looks choppy, you might need to tone it down, like unchecking VSync or something. Detail Textures will only appear on the map if you have an addon or plugin that adds them to the map you are playing.
devSin

Post by devSin »

Pyro wrote:It varies. The feature that allows you to use detail textures (Landscape Textures in prefs) will only work on OpenGL. Not all systems run well on OpenGL so you might have to compare with the other options. Software rendering should be a last resort. So if your system can take it, here are the settings you might want to use:
I think the software renderer was removed for the UB build, so it's not even an option (OpenGL is the only choice on Mac OS X). A MacBook Pro probably won't suffer from just turning everything on and turning on VSync (or capping the framerate to 60 or 90 or even 45 so it doesn't waste energy on a massive framerate when zoomed in), as you suggest.
Pyro wrote:Tex. Cache (MB): max*
Is the texture cache supposed to be a percentage of main RAM or of VRAM (IIRC, "max" tries 75% system RAM on the Mac build, which seems way extreme even if considering detail textures)? Do you really need a 512MB texture cache, really?