Steam Greenlight is a last chance for MYTH II

Talk about anything here.
brah

Re: Steam Greenlight is a last chance for MYTH II

Post by brah »

punkUser wrote:I don't know all the details, but this has been tried several times over the years. That's not to dash hopes... a lot of us still hope that we'll eventually get something like this... but just the reality. People have not just been sitting on their hands, but the situation with Take 2 is not a simple one. They basically don't see enough money in Myth to spend *any* amount of time on it... even the amount that it would take to say "ok" to something legally.

Let's be clear. We don't want to buy MYTH or talk about cost of franchise. We want to make game free (or may be 4.99$ - 9.99$ as variant). Free "as is".

No money in MYTH - it's a abandoned brand. No future. 14 years old already.

Concrete information about who contact Take2, when was that etc. ?
Can we find those people ?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

brah wrote:Let's be clear. We don't want to buy MYTH or talk about cost of franchise. We want to make game free (or may be 4.99$ - 9.99$ as variant). Free "as is".

What punkuser was saying is that it COSTS TAKE2 MONEY to release the game for free. They are a huge corporation, they have to have their lawyers draw up the legal documents relinquishing their rights to the game, they have to pay accountants to figure out what to do with the expense - I am not an accountant but if the paper value in their books of the game franchise is in the 10s or 100's of thousands of dollars they as a publicly traded company can't just give the game away with no explanation, they have to come up with some way to write it off - which shows up on their books as a huge loss, or as a donation (who are they 'donating' it to? they can't legally 'donate' it to the public). Stockholders can argue that it's not in their best interests to GIVE something worth 10's or 100's of thousands of dollars (on paper) away for free. blah etc blah etc blah, not saying it can't be done just saying it's NOWHERE near as simple as you think, arguing that it is simple and doesn't cost Take Two anything is not true and it will cost TakeTwo money (at least on paper) to release the game for free.

If you think TakeTwo is going to spend the time and energy necessary to GIVE away the game so you or magma or someone else can turn around and charge $4.99 - $9.99 you are seriously deluded/naive. and if you want to give that money back to TakeTwo as incentive to give the game away then that's another whole set of legal documents and arrangements that need to be drawn up / agreed to.
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

15 years, brah.

I don't think anything will happen unless you find someone willing to make a US$100,000+ donation to Take2's quarterly profit margin.
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

Hi Brah,

I'll be quite objective :
the Myth is an old game, only a specific community of myther players, that still playing it, and do up dates and plugins.
the myth in STEAM, is probably is to give in anything.
With the Myth, if there is any chance of profit for the company "Take2" they launch Myth 4, 5, 6 ...without asking advice for anybody.
the Myth in "Steam Greenlight" applies the same refutations done for topic "Myth Kickstarter Project" :|
and there are people (out there), who call the Myth of dead game .

Julio
Last edited by juliocpaes on Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
brah

Post by brah »

vinylrake wrote:
brah wrote:Let's be clear. We don't want to buy MYTH or talk about cost of franchise. We want to make game free (or may be 4.99$ - 9.99$ as variant). Free "as is".

What punkuser was saying is that it COSTS TAKE2 MONEY to release the game for free. They are a huge corporation, they have to have their lawyers draw up the legal documents relinquishing their rights to the game, they have to pay accountants to figure out what to do with the expense - I am not an accountant but if the paper value in their books of the game franchise is in the 10s or 100's of thousands of dollars they as a publicly traded company can't just give the game away with no explanation, they have to come up with some way to write it off - which shows up on their books as a huge loss, or as a donation (who are they 'donating' it to? they can't legally 'donate' it to the public). Stockholders can argue that it's not in their best interests to GIVE something worth 10's or 100's of thousands of dollars (on paper) away for free. blah etc blah etc blah, not saying it can't be done just saying it's NOWHERE near as simple as you think, arguing that it is simple and doesn't cost Take Two anything is not true and it will cost TakeTwo money (at least on paper) to release the game for free.

If you think TakeTwo is going to spend the time and energy necessary to GIVE away the game so you or magma or someone else can turn around and charge $4.99 - $9.99 you are seriously deluded/naive. and if you want to give that money back to TakeTwo as incentive to give the game away then that's another whole set of legal documents and arrangements that need to be drawn up / agreed to.
Yeah, agree. Myth doesn't have any chances.
No right people, no connections, no money etc.

Renwood taking The MegaMillions Lottery jackpot sounds more realistic.
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

brah wrote: Yeah, agree. Myth doesn't have any chances.

Renwood taking The MegaMillions Lottery jackpot sounds more realistic.
How No right people, no connections ... ? The Myth has our community, without being vassal of businessmen games.
Renwood ... here ... there ... he tried something, went wrong, is useless continue citing him. He at least attempted something. Silly is repeat the mistakes.
:|

Julio
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

brah wrote: Yeah, agree. Myth doesn't have any chances.
All I was saying is that enthusiasm alone does not move mountains here. People have been enthusiastic and even had certain connections in the past and tried for stuff that is even less ambitious than releasing Myth on Steam, but it has ultimately fallen apart for a variety of reasons.

I'm not trying to dash hopes or say that we shouldn't keep trying; I'm just saying not to assume that people have just sat around and done nothing for ten years on this front.
kingthrall

Post by kingthrall »

Hey if we cant greenlight myth II why don't we redlight it :P ahahha sorry had to put that one out there.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Fuck, if no one will step up for this, I will contact Steam.

I'll report back with (any) progress.
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

GodzFire wrote:Fuck, if no one will step up for this, I will contact Steam.

I'll report back with (any) progress.
he says and wrote : I died Image ... but appears on the topics being no fun and only talking nonsense.

you dead or no ? who are you, a walking dead ? Image

Julio Image