Deleted when they hit the ground - Does this lprg option work?

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Industry

Post by Industry »

So I'd like to have autumn leaves pile up on the ground until I have reached the projectile limit and crashed my map. After reading the Fear Documentation it looked simple. So, I went and fired up Fear, duplicated the "leaves" local projectile group and checked off the "Deleted when they hit the ground" flag. Then I popped into "04 outside the keep" with Loathing put my new "leaves-thatstay" in the palette and added it onto the map a few times. Now instead of piling my leaves up on the ground it runs the falling leaves animation once, the leaves disappear when they hit the ground and it stops. Any clues? Does this flag really work?
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

Not sure about that one, but a better way to pile up projectiles is to modify a snow particle system so it has permanent snowflakes (or whatever graphic you want to choose)

Edited By mauglir on 1091711326
Mauglir
Industry

Post by Industry »

The Particle Systems tags is actually where I started first, but they seem to be just a visual trick. What with the camera wrapping cells and all. And I also couldn't/can't find a setting to modify to make the snowflakes last when they hit the ground.
lank

Post by lank »

local projectile groups and particle systems are "pretend" particles, in that their particles don't interact with anything. i don't think there is a way to make leaves falling in a local projectile group persistent.

it should be possible to use normal projectiles and projectile groups, but on a limited scale at most, or you'll soon run into projectile limit problems.
*toot*
Industry

Post by Industry »

Okay. So tooling around some more I figured out some of the answers to my own problem. I think that the reason that the animation was only running once is I had none of the "Deleted ..." flags in the Projectile Flags section checked. Without one of these "Deleted" flags checked the projectiles are never deleted and the animation doesn't recycle.

They still are disappearing when they hit the ground though.
Road

Post by Road »

as lank pointed out LPGR are not good at hitting anything and since they dont promote or detonate there is no way to make them lay on the ground.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

A local projectile group has a fixed number of projectiles, so if the leaves did stay when they hit the ground then they would still count towards this limit and thus stop any new projectiles from being created.
The problem with the leaves disappearing anyway is that the physics used are constantly telling the leaves to fall, so when they disappear they are actually below the ground, opposed to hitting it and being deleted as before.

What you could do (as lank said) is use normal projectiles. Create an object tag for your leaf and change it's gravity to -0.002, if this is too fast then you can play around with the terminal velocity setting to limit their speed.
Now create a projectile, give it this object and set it up to use the leaf graphics, you can now check the flag that says 'Affected by wind'. To make them stay simply make sure that their 'Normal frequency' (chance of detonating upon impact) is set to 0.000, and that they become dormant at rest.

Hopefully this will help, or it will confuse you to hell in which case we'll give you more help =)
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
GHOST®

Post by GHOST® »

[color=DFC99B]
haravikk wrote:A local projectile group has a fixed number of projectiles, so if the leaves did stay when they hit the ground then they would still count towards this limit and thus stop any new projectiles from being created.
The problem with the leaves disappearing anyway is that the physics used are constantly telling the leaves to fall, so when they disappear they are actually below the ground, opposed to hitting it and being deleted as before.

What you could do (as lank said) is use normal projectiles. Create an object tag for your leaf and change it's gravity to -0.002, if this is too fast then you can play around with the terminal velocity setting to limit their speed.
Now create a projectile, give it this object and set it up to use the leaf graphics, you can now check the flag that says 'Affected by wind'. To make them stay simply make sure that their 'Normal frequency' (chance of detonating upon impact) is set to 0.000, and that they become dormant at rest.

Hopefully this will help, or it will confuse you to hell in which case we'll give you more help =)
Of course one problem with this is that you will soon fill up the Projectile Array once enough leaves have been created, especially if you have alot of trees doing this.

You can get around this of course by setting them up to bio-degrade after a set amount of lifespan. Basically uncheck any of the flags in the Detonation section of the PROJ tag, ie When Animation Loops, When Animation Transfers, At Rest, Remains After Detonation. Then check the Promoted at End of Lifespan Flag and give it a lifespan of say 2 to 5 minutes (120-300).

Now Click Edit Flags, and make sure Becomes Dormant at Rest is unchecked and youre good to go. Leaves will pile up and once each hits their random lifespan, they will be removed off the map making room for new projectiles to be created.[/color]
"Do you want to be healed now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?"
lank

Post by lank »

and as long as they can take damage such as explosion and lightning types, any explosions near the piles will get rid of them (although you may notice that explosions can only affect a limited number of projectiles/units/scenery at once, and if there are too many leaves, it may impact the play of the level adversely).
*toot*