Duff bomb duds - Duff bomb duds

Talk about anything here.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

That there was something changed with dorfs in 1.4 which had been repeatedly denied until they found out that they did, so I'd take anything coming from THOSE PEOPLE with a grain of salt.

I had nothing to do with that whole episode, but I think you're blowing it a bit out of proportion. It really wasn't that long before someone at Magma carefully investigated qwerty's claims, found and instantly admitted the problem.

Much more effort over a much longer period of time has been spent on the dud thing and a problem, or even proof of one, has not been found. Both would be required to fix anything.

Again, I'm not really even connected to any of this, but I was under the impression everything between qwerty and Magma was cool. Does qwerty still feel he needs an apology? Should he get it from the programmers who never insulted him, or from the mapmaker who was rude to him, but frankly, had nothing to do with causing or fixing anything programming related? Should Magma fire this mapmaker if he doesn't apologize now, or will justice be restored if a "Magma spokesperson" apologizes for him? Most importantly, will you be my apology agent for all the times someone denied I was right in some forum debate? ;)
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

No, I just think he deserves one.
“LORD, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill because they pissed me off!”
Sarah Noelle Pratt Ferguson
Sam The Butcher

Post by Sam The Butcher »

What is this you are talking about with qwerty and the randomness of duds. What about the not admitting any changes in 1.4 with bombs. I am sure that in one of the 1.4 updates it was mentioned a change in bombs more duds and bombs would bounce farther. This is true right, cause I dont remember there being so many duds b4.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

No Sam, the change in 1.4 had to do with dwarves occasionally dropping a lit cocktail when suffering a hard death like a trow kick or fetch lightning. A greater frequency of dudding, to my knowledge, was never identified or proven by any players or anyone in Magma.

CB, I won't argue that. qwerty is a good guy who has helped us a lot. As far as I know, everything is cool between him and everyone in Magma.
TopGunZ

Post by TopGunZ »

man i miss the old tfl duffs. That was the best...
"I tried sniffing coke once, but the ice cubes stuck in my nose"
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

Well if it was, he'd still be posting.
“LORD, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill because they pissed me off!”
Sarah Noelle Pratt Ferguson
Sam The Butcher

I have a couple questions about the Duffs and bombs. What changes were made to Duffs or the bombs to stop them from exploding on a soft death. I looked through Fear and seen that part of the projectile group that is called on a Duff soft death includes a 10% chance for a lit bottle. To fix the exploding soft death duff why wasn't this bomb just deleted from the group? Also why is it that even though Hero Duffs and Reg Duffs have the same 10% chance for a dud, Heroes throw way way less duds than Reg Duffs do?
Thanks
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

I'm only guessing here cause i'm no fear masta, but maybe it's because hero's cocktails are less prone to bouncing?

everytime a bottle bounces it has a chance at dudding, so the chance isn't actually 10%, it's higher than that. If a hero's cocktails bounce less often, it has fewer chances to dud.
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Doobie is correct. Also, Bungie designed it with that 10% explode on soft death thing. Its part of Myth.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Sam The Butcher

Yea Iron I know that Bungie designed them to have a 10% chance on soft death, but my question is what changes did Magma make to the Duffs to keep them from exploding as much when they suffer a soft death. This is 1 thing that Magma says that they fixed. If you look back in this post you will see where that is mentioned. So they did change this from what Bungie had originally made it. I just want to know what changes were made. Also why in one of the 1.4 updates in the readme did they say there would be more duds and bombs would bounce more. Why did they say this? What changes were made for them to say this. Plus alot of the duds that accure arent after a bounce they are when the bomb either brushes past a unit or when the bomb wedges at a units feet (this is with a control click attack) I have a post at Playmyth with more about what I have found in researching this check it out.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

No, you've misunderstood. Way back with 1.4 a change was accidentally introduced in the patch that sometimes made duffs drop lit bottles on hard death. This was corrected in Patch 1.4.2. Nothing was ever changed re soft death. I don't recall seeing anything in an update that said there'd be more duds and bouncing.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Ymir

Post by Ymir »

Sam just one thought I had while reading this... How often did you test your duds? Of course people seem to have more duds when they are being rushed because dwarves tend to throw more when a threat is near as opposed to nothing. If your gonna test give it a while maybe 10 minutes? I would say if you left a dwarf alive for 5 minutes and he threw a domb every 30 seconds he would have more duds as your dwarf you tested for a minute. Just remember you notice things more when they affect you and you tend to see this as being wrong cause it leads to you most likely losing your dwarf. At least thats what i feel.
if you don't look now... you'll miss it
jwqh

Post by jwqh »

excuse my ignorance..
but what are "soft kill" and "hard kill"?
James,
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

A hard death is when a unit explodes into pieces when it dies (for example a death caused by a dwarf bottle or a trow kick). A soft death is when the body just falls to the ground on death in one piece (for example death cause by an archer arrow or a warrior hit).