Thinking about changing to OS 10.3 - compatability issues

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
OhanotaII

Post by OhanotaII »

I am currently running mac os 10.2.8 and am contemplating upgrading to 10.3. Has anybody had any issues with myth II not running as well on 10.3? I usually play on LAN games with a person running an imac 266 mhz g3 (os 9.2?) another on an ibook (9.2?) and two persons running windows. We have been using myth II version 1.4.3 as it seems to meet our needs better (1.5 does not run as well on the imac) My machine is a G4 733 mhz.

Looking for advice.

Thanks
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

I have deliberately stopped updated my OSX stuff because some people reported that is made some old Myth tools unusable. (Apathy for example) I haven't heard of any problems related to just playing the game though.

Our programmers are pretty good about staying on top of any kind of curve balls Apple throws our way, at least as far as keeping the main game working.
Mauglir
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Version 1.4 breaks under OpenGL in OS X 10.3.3 or later. Version 1.5 works fine on it, however.

Is there any reasons in particular that you prefer version 1.4.3 because of the imac? Like what issues does 1.5 have on the OS9 imac that 1.4.3 doesn't have?
OhanotaII

Post by OhanotaII »

I appreciate the input.

The problem is that the iMac runs more jerky under 1.5 than it does under 1.4.3.

I will retry 1.5 on the imac this weekend and run some games and get back to you.

Thanks alot!
skrew

Post by skrew »

on my 266mhz imac my fps was cut in half

Edited By skrew on 1093634259
King kong died for our sins!
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Using what settings? Software mode? RAVE? 3Dfx? Resolution?

EDIT: and skrew, why didn't you tell me anything about this on hotline before? all i've ever heard from you is ROTD crashes, nothing about fps slow down

EDIT2: I get identical fps under RAVE and software mode on my powermac g3 233 (overclocked to 300) on 1.5 as I do on 1.4.1.

Edited By Myrd on 1093640322
OhanotaII

Post by OhanotaII »

The software on the iMac 266 settings would be Rave with a resolution of 800 x 600 95 mhz.

I haven't had a chance to check the imac this weekend on 1.5. I will be checking it soon

Thanks
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

on a G4 with 10.3.4 and 867mhz I have absolutely no problem at all with myth 1.5 nor apathy or loathing or fear.
I think 1.4 had issues on open GL, but since I upgraded to Myth 1.5 the only problem is when you exit myth that it crashes...but that's it...
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
OhanotaII

Post by OhanotaII »

Thanks for the help. The iMac was updated to OS 10.2, Myth II was updated to 1.5 and all seem to be running much better.

What Project Magma does is greatly appreciated!

Later
OhanotaII

Post by OhanotaII »

Yet one more question--

What is the maximum number of plugins that will work if placed in the plugins folder in version 1.5?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

I have 111 plugins currently in my plugins folder, and all works well. :cool:
Helios

Post by Helios »

I just installed Myth II 1.5 on my new 1.3ghz 12" Powerbook under OS-10.3.5 and all seems well.

The only downer seems to be that I can't play my old 1.4.x films. :cry:

I was going to copy over 1.4 so that I could watch the old films but if 1.4 is unstable on my current OS, as folks have suggested here I won't bother.

But I'd love to be able to watch those films again...

BTW while I'm here a big thanks to the Project Magma team for doing such an amazing job keeping this game going and up-to-date - especially for the usually forgotten Mac platform! Thanks!!
Roman

Post by Roman »

I've recently just come back to this great game and am glad to see such a vibrant following - still! I've reinstalled my Myth TFL and Myth II discs to my new G5 running 10.3.6. Myth FTL works fine but Myth II has nothing but mess on the screen. Have I installed the wrong files (I used version 1.5)? Would appreciate some help. Thanks.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Thousands of plugins and you wont run into problems methinks :) I've got well over 200 and all works smoothly.

And maug... who told you those rumors that apathy doesnt work on later versions? It's worked on every version i've had :o I'm on 10.3.6 and all my tools run fine under classic.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Roman.. a few screenshots would be helpful perhaps :)

I'd suggest you pick yourself up a hotline client (i'd recommend Frogblast for osX) and log onto hl.udogs.net and talk to some of the guys there.. Myrd is usually on, and he's the lead guy... however, likely, most people there will be able to hop and skip you through some steps to get M2 running smooth :) Do you have a copy of Myth 3 too? I bet it would run fantastically on that G5 ;) Flyingflip is doing a nice job with updating it too... lots of work has gone into Myth 3 since it's release a few years back.. its a complete game now at least :)

Worth looking on ebay for a 2 dollar copy perhaps :D