Problems fighting Shiver in Myth II... help? - Shiver kills Myrdred before he can fight

Talk about anything here.
Frederick the Great

Post by Frederick the Great »

I just recently started playing Myth II again after I found out that version 1.5 ran under Mac OS X (thanks Project Magma!). Anyway, I've made it to the level where the Deceiver and five heroes go after Shiver, and I've run into a weird problem at the end of the level... I was wondering if anybody here had encountered this or maybe could help me out?

I've made it all the way to Shiver, where the script starts up and she and Myrdred start having it out. They yell at each other, Phelot blows up all of the Myrkridia, and then a strange thing happens.

As Myrdred advances toward Shiver, she hits hiim with a blast of magic, and he dies instantly. Then the game just sits there, I guess because he's dead and it can't complete the script to end the level.

I've played the level through several times, and this always happens, even when Myrdred is at full health. Is there some secret (or something glaringly obvious) that I'm missing? I'm not big into tag editing or I'd try to figure out some way to fix it myself. Right now I'm just clueless and frustrated.

If anybody knows a solution, I'd be most appreciative.

-Frederick The Great
jwqh

Post by jwqh »

They are supposed to kill each other off. It could be a bug
James,
Brainbug

Post by Brainbug »

hit "control"-"+" and you will instantly win the level and continue the game with all you kills, veterans,....

(i think it's "ctrl +", i could be mistaken)
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

Happening every time is new to me. I must have played it hundreds of times and its only happened once before.
I wear a plastic ass on my bag ~ Da Cheeze
Frederick the Great

Thanks for the help! I was able to do the instant win code and get past the level. I keep trying to beat it the normal way, 'cause I like seeing them duke it out at the end, but Shiver still wastes Myrdred each time before he can fight back. Weird.
CIK

Post by CIK »

This has been addresses in 1.5.1.
Lothar

Post by Lothar »

That has never happened to me...

I'd like to see that film!

:p
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

This has never happened to me EVER and I've been doing Myth II offline solo since it came out.

On a slightly related note, what happens to The Deceiver afterwards? He never shows up again in the solo (but it's almost over and the story focuses on Alric who was quite far away. Maybe Dece was fighting Shiver's remaining units. When you kill Shiver a big ass explosion falls and seems to kill Decei, but GURPS Myth (which is lisenced by Bungie) says he is alive. The Myth III manual says he is dead but that is Take 2 who didn't know what Bungie intended.
Lothar

Post by Lothar »

I think he's dead, sir.

I've never heard that The Deceiver survives, let's face it, he gets blown up. :nocomment:

I would like to see where it says that he survives...

I would also like a film of Shiver killing Deceiver at end like was mentioned in the first post.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

It's a scripting bug in the original bungie level - and it was such that it happened only a fraction of the time - most of the time the level ending normally. Are you getting this problem consistently (ie every time), or is it a one-time thing?
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

I also think that Deceiver is dead . But one question... Why Soulblighter did not escape in crows form (Twice Born)? Did Myrdred kill one of SB crows? Or maybe he used magic on it (and he hold spell);) - to prevent SB from transformation? So mb he was still alive during "Twice Born" :cool:

I'd like to see that film 2 :)
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
Frederick the Great

In response to popular demand, I've put a film of that level with Shiver wasting Myrdred at the end, at the following address:

www.geocities.com/albuminouslump/files/shiver.zip

PLEASE NOTE: It's not actually a .zip file (I had to add the extension so I could upload it). When you download it, remove the extension from the filename before you drop it in your "recordings" folder.
Lothar

Post by Lothar »

Thanks for the film, I'll watch it ASAP

BTW: Tireces, In the level "A Murder of Crows" The Deceiver uses his magic to kill one of Soulblighter's crows so that he would be unable to ever do his "Fwoosh: Caw Caw Caw" trick ever again after re-forming. That was why Soulblighter could not escape after getting pwned by Alric on Twice Born.
Lothar

Post by Lothar »

Even after seeing it, I'm not sure that I believe it… :0

I find it strange that it happens to you every time, seems to defy the laws of averages…

:?:

Well good luck with this one…
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

it has happened to me like 1 out of 200 times