ghost scripting problem

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
ferentix

Post by ferentix »

I'm writing some script on a map to make ghost units look ghostly (like in Ibis crown) I set up the script with a ghost visibility flag, set to true. When I play the map, the units fade to transparent like they're meant to, then suddenly flash back to full visibility. What else do I need to do to create the full pulsating effect seen in Ibis crown please?
Phex

Post by Phex »

Enabling the pulsating ghost effect is a scripting issue.
Add a UNIT CONTROL map action with the following parameters:

Link: link a data container with the units (subj) you want to live on as ghosts here.
Visible Flag: this means your units are generally visible. The Element must be 'true'.
Ghost Visibility Flag: This is the critical flag. It will activate the ghost effect. The Element must be 'true'.

Dont forget to set the map action Initially Active, or else it wont work.
If you are not sure how to use it yet, look at the scripting of the Ibis Crown level (called "16 catacombs mesh").

Phex.
ferentix

Post by ferentix »

Thanks Phex, I used your script, it still didn't work, but it turns out that I had set the expiration condition wrongly. I changed it to "on trigger" and it works now. The ghosts pulsate, and don't flicker as before. Is there actually any difference between linking to a data container of units and setting the monsters to effect with a "monsters" parameter, which is what I was doing before, and was the only difference between my script and yours? (aside from making it easier to refer to them at different points in the script so you don't need to reselect them each time)?
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Data containers are just for making things easier if you have a lot of script affecting common groups of units. However, it is also extremely useful if you use a Geometry filter to test for units, you can put them in an empty action and have other actions which require the results point to the data-container.
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these: