Floating Units - Floating without the Float?

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Lothar

Post by Lothar »

Hey everyone,

I have a question regarding floating units:

I want to make a certain unit to walk on water. By checking "Floats" in the monster tag, the unit floats, and in that way, walks on water. I was wondering if there was any way in Fear to make a unit have the properties of a floating unit (like walking on water) without the bobbing up and down floating unit effect.

Sorry if this a dumb question, I know there probably isn't a way to do it, but I just wanted to make sure... :blush:
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

This was made possible by Magma's 1.4 update. Go to "flags" in your monster tag and check "is skittish." Then open up "terrain parameters" and put 16 in the cost column for desert terrain. The unit will walk on water and make ripples with each step.

A-Red
Lothar

Post by Lothar »

Wow, thanks a lot!

The only problem is that I don't understand what just happened! :embarassed:

Could you please explain to me

1. what exactly the "skittish" flag does
2. what "cost" means
3. why I needed to change the cost of "desert" as opposed to "water" or "snow" or whatever

Thanks a lot for your help, it is greatly appreciated!
lank

Post by lank »

because a lot of spots in the mons tag were unused, including the skittish flag and the terrain costs, we made them able to act as flags to perform other actions.

there's a 1.4 mapmaker's guide available in the downloads section here, which explains everything new about the skittish flag and the terrain cost values.
*toot*
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

It is possible another way... I personally have no idea, but my partner in TFV made it possible without the skittish flags etc... I think it would work in 1.3.... havent tried before.. no need to. But use the way A-Red told you.. it's easyâ„¢ :)
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

well you can always go to the moster tag in fear and hit flags, and check the "floats" flag.
I used that in fear 1.3.1 for a canoe unit, though it doesn't create ripples underneath, it just makes the unit float over water...and thereafore I had to include in the monster tag a "ripples" local propjectile tag that was created all the time so it had a little bit of reality...
I didn't check this particular 1.4 improvement of squitish and terrain cost, but for the quality of others I checked I would encourage you to try it...
It says it creates automatically ripples underneath the unit....
don't even think of not giving it a try!!!!!!!! hehe
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Lothar

Post by Lothar »

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions; I got it how I wanted using A-red's suggestion. The 1.4 Map-makers guide will be a lot of help.

Thanks again!
Road

Post by Road »

Link to 1.4 guide:
http://projectmagma.net/1.4mapguide.shtml

Link to 1.5 fear guide:
http://projectmagma.net/fear.html

Another good alternitive is to make the monsters object tag say that the monster remains same distance of mesh and floats on water. Then raise the monster a bit or have it done in collections. Avoides the bobbing and yet gives it that floating like effect.
Flaoting just makes the monster bob and can walk on water as if its mesh.
Flying is just a tag refferance and if the units object tag doesnt say that it is same distance from mesh then itll drop like a rock.
The object tags ability to "remain distance of mesh" I think alone might make monster dip into water.

I recall Ooga changing the soulless once to keep them from bobbing back in 1.3 but I think he just used the object tag to do that..not sure

Edited By Road on 1098377822
Lothar

Post by Lothar »

Thanks for the links, Road; I didn't even know those tutorials existed :surprised:

It'll take me like 6 hours to read the 1.5 fear guide, and even though it says not to read it all in one sitting I will probably end up trying just that :;):

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>--That guys probably uses way too many Similies :lol:
--Yup</span> :cool: