Ultimate Team Battles question

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
RagnaR

Post by RagnaR »

Does anybody know when Ultimate Team Battles mod will be out? Just wondering. I think this mod idea is awesome! I can't wait for it!! :)
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Hi RagnaR, thanks for the encouragement. UTB is a "big team" vTFL mod that Silicon Dream and I worked on. It is actually almost entirely done, and has been for quite some time. The hold up is me having to meticulously write in Sili's script on each mesh, which will allow team captains to swap light and dark teams.

The other hold up is that... well, this is sort of a 'niche' map. From testing, I can tell you there are no luke warm feelings about this plugin. 75% people totally hate it; 25% absolutely love it. But that's out of a 100% who love both large team games and vTFL. Ultimately, the realization that there may never be enough people to enjoy it (you really need at least 8 people to play) caused me to lose motivation and slack off on finishing it.

However, posts like yours go a long way towards remotivation. Think it'll actually be worth finishing it?
Phex

Post by Phex »

It is worth finishing it!

I downloaded a beta version and I am really impressed! Keep working on it, I am looking forward to play it since it has been announced!
The reason is: it would be fun to have some more team maps than the the 3 regular ones, especially because the UTB maps have nice concepts like vtfl vs reg. or good vs. evil.
And I am sure there are some more people who like to play big team maps (although usually not on ranked, but that sucks anyway in my eyes).

So: Finish it!

rgds,
Phex.
Taelactin

Post by Taelactin »

I have been waiting calmly forever for this plugin to come out. I have a group of about 9 friends that play LAN games once in a while (every weekend), and we've been waiting patiently for it to come out, THINKING it was going to one day be released... please, please, please, finish it (if you're not too busy).

But that leaves me to question, if a project isn't being worked on, why is it posted on the projects page giving people the impression that it'll be finished in the next couple months or so? I've noticed that the Magma page has seemed somewhat empty for the last couple months, and although I always truly doubted that Myth II would literally completely "die" I'm kinda getting worried that it's getting pretty darn close... are people still actively working on those projects? (If I'm sounding rude at all here, I seriously didn't intend to).

One more thing-- I've been playing Myth II for 6 years, and know how to use Fear and Loathing pretty well, so I want to contribute one solo map before the Myth community gets any smaller, only problem is, I don't got classic, any chance of those tools coming out for OS X anytime soon (before June/July?)

Thanks!
NO MATTAH WHATCHA SAY MAPMAKERS NEVAH DIE THEY JUST RETALIATE WITH TAGS THEN THEY MULTIPLY
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

First, to reply to Taelactin:

The bad news is that Fear for OS X is probably not coming anytime soon. From what I understand, the original code can't be ported very easily and it would actually be simpler to convert M3's Vengence for M2 tag editing.

The good news is that a Loathing for OS X will be released very soon. Normally a PC user, I've started using the Loathing beta on my wife's Mac (for as long as she lets me, that is) because I find it much more stable than the old PC version.

As for your question about dead or dying projects still being advertised on our site, the answer is that none of us ever want to let go of the option of eventually finishing something, even when other obligations or interests get in the way of our mapmaking hobbies. For me at least, the motivation to spend crazy amounts of hours mapmaking comes in waves. In the lulls, I'd find it too depressing to think I would never again pick up at least some of the projects I was so excited about making when they were announced.

But you're right, the project page should be updated, and as soon as I remember my password, I'll at least update the few projects I'm involved in.

Next: Thanks, Phex, Taelactin and RagnaR! I told myself if if I got at least three encouraging posts to finish UTB, I would crack it back open and try to wrap it up.

UTB will have to wait, however, for me to complete an experimental plugin I've been feverishly and secretly working on for the last month. It's not something that's on the project page, because at this point, the last thing I want to do is set up another disappointment for something that I'm not even sure will work. But if all goes well, I'll release this latest endeavor followed by UTB in the next two or three months -- but only if I start getting invited to some of these LAN parties! ;)
Nagelfar

Post by Nagelfar »

ChrisP wrote:But you're right, the project page should be updated, and as soon as I remember my password, I'll at least update the few projects I'm involved in.
'remember your password?' LOL. well, that's a scary sentiment there for us waiting sitting on our hands for these projects. But I guess you just mean the page and not the projects :;):

I heard in the playmyth lobby that GHOST has disappeared for nearly a year and ROTD hasn't been updated in that long, is this true too?
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Hehe, Nagelfar, figuring out my password to the projects page is going to be alot easier than refamiliarizing myself with Silicon Dream's UTB script.

As for Ghost, alas, he's been away since early August. It's true there is no better barometer of Magma's mapmaking productivity than whether Ghost is around or not. Not only does he get stuff done, he's an extremely helpful, upbeat and fun person to work with, to say nothing of his unmatched knowledge of Fear and Loathing.

Over the last couple years, Ghost has had to cope with crises, uprootings and even a terrible tragedy. In August, he moved, and decided to take some time away from hobbies to reorganize his life a bit. I am sure he'll be back one day. Till then he is much missed.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

yes, the G man was only going to be gone about a month, but I guess things haven't worked out that way. I know there's a lot of stuff (including RotD) that he wants to complete, so I keep expecting and hoping that he'll return soon.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder