Impossible? - Possible?

Talk about anything here.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

(I promise to stop mentioning Freedom 2 soon, but this matter is bugging me and I need feedback)

Well first of all, I was testing Freedom 2 with Da Cid today and we've discovered it's too hard. As in, kind of impossible. On Legendary at least - I merely shrugged at him and said 'there'll be SOME nut on the internet who can do it!' and left it at that (while looking supremely stylish).

But I've given it more thought and I am wondering - do YOU think it's possible for a plugin to be impossible, or too hard? Or whatever?

And also, my local folder is 177mb. Is that too big?
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

I bet it's possible to make an impossible plugin, but it would take some very extreme measures. Like giving the player a handful of dwarves and pitting them against five hundred Soulblighters. I don't think there's any reasonable plugin out there that can't be beaten, and yours is probably not an exception. Besides, those of us who can't beat something on Legendary just play it on Normal (or Timid).

A-Red
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Hey Will. There's a difference between making a plugin too hard and too frustrating. It's tricky to get right, but the key is still feeling like you could have, or should have, won, even when you lost badly. Using A-Red's example, if you have a handful of dwarves pitted against five hundred Soulblighters, as a player, you're never going to feel like you have a chance and will quickly get frustrated and bored. In other words, you can get away with a nearly impossible to win scenerio as long as it doesn't seem impossible. :P

A 90 Meg zipped plugin will need some hype to convince some broadband users it is worth it, but it shouldn't be too big a problem for them. However, it will prohibit all dial-up users from wanting to download except the ones who really, really want your plugin.
TopGunZ

Post by TopGunZ »

What exactly is this "impossible" task anyway? :rock:
"I tried sniffing coke once, but the ice cubes stuck in my nose"
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Download it ;)
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
TopGunZ

Post by TopGunZ »

Oh ya, duhhh
"I tried sniffing coke once, but the ice cubes stuck in my nose"
Archer

Post by Archer »

You can indeed make an impossible plugin, it's quite easy. Imagine Mazzarin's Demise without hero units (or with hero units but without the ability to heal), or Defense of Yursgrad without the Berserks being able to outrun the Myrkridia, or Willow Creek if the Ghasts were faster and more durable.

~J
Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Hullo all!

Thankyou very much for your replies.
It's hard to say, Da Cid, what do you think?

DA CID: <sighs> The final levels seem quite a challenge on legendary. Uh...

WILL: Well... yes. To me it seems that they -

DA CID: But we've been testing when the heroes are invincible so we don't know how hard the last levels really are!

WILL: Yeah. It seems beatable, but maybe I'm just not good enough.

To wit, if you guys find these levels too hard, try them on Timid as Archer (or someone) said.

And as for plugin size - I'd hate to hype the thing up (because it's good, just not THAT good, but it's good - it's got new cavalry and charging warriors!). It's better than the first Freedom. And if you liked that you'll 'love' this! More wacky voice-overs, more of that delightful McCoolness Humour... (am I doing a good job of hyping?)

Anyways... thanks for your replies. (Da Cid is standing next to me looking at me like i'm a fool).

DA CID: No I'm not.
:) Da Cid (: McCl

Post by :) Da Cid (: McCl »

Well, last night, me and Will were doing Freedom II co-op on legendary (or "Freedom Warrior", Will changed it). We did about two levels, again and again, but we couldn't do them. Today we were going to try it on Timid (or Swineherd), and if we can finish a level, and not be invincible, then the campaign is just nearly impossible on legendary.

<hype> And the Multiplayer maps are totally cool! With really great colour maps and lots of features and... </hype>

90 meg? *cough cough* It's a bit bigger.
chazo

Post by chazo »

sounds cool, i love coops but uhh over 90 megs...?
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Heck, I sat down and downloaded Seventh God and that was heaps bigger. I figure people might be willing to wait for Freedom II, because it's smaller and it has a sense of humour.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I could dl that easy probs and I'm only on 512kb connection.

Cavalry? yay, I love em, coolest thing in Myth [plugins].

I sat down and waited for Manistee Paintball on a 56k modem (4k a second anyone?) and many things more. I reckon however big Freedom II will be in the end will download at most a bit faster than a 56k downloading 36 megs.

Seventh God was overrated. Voice acting wasn't very good. (Although Freedom II consists of 6, 9 and 14 year old kids... and Will)

The Elfoid wrote:
Cavalry? yay, I love em, coolest thing in Myth (plugins).

The cavarly are cool. And so are the running thrall, and running warriors, and running beserks and HUGE trow and... *rant rant rant hype hype hype*
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I made a few maps that I think was close to impossible. It was in my "no more heroes" map-pack. Bascially, all hero units are removed from the solo game.

This doesn't effect Redemption or Walls of Muirthemne too much (blowing up cannons and walls was harder in WoM tho) but playing Shiver with Deceiver as the only 'hero' unit was EVIL. Archer, Warlock, 2 heron guards (with 9 roots tho, mind you) and a dorf - impossible.

I planned (but skrewed up) setting up Twice Born in which Alric's sword doesn't give off chain lightning. I wanted him to lose Glamdring totally but something related to gas damage being needed to hurt Soulblighter stopped this. Could many people do this?