playing Myth in multi screen Mac... - multi screen funkiness

Talk about anything here.
Conner

Post by Conner »

First, this has never seemed to work fully in Myth, so it's not a new issue, but thought I'd mention it in case it's not a known issue. If it is a known issue and won't be fix, it would be nice to know that. (:

Setup. 12" Powerbook with GeForce FX Go5200 (32MB) connected to a 20" 1600x1200 display, using the 12" screen as the 'main' screen, 1600x1200 screen as secondary screen.

I'd like to play myth on the large screen, so start up myth, select the large screen, with 'don't play cutscenes' checked, but nothing else. Music starts but nothing comes up, black screen. Hit escape...

try #2, click the swtich resolutions and don't play cutscenes, large screen selected... music starts, black screen... hit escape.

go into system prefs, and change the ext. large lcd to be the 'main' screen by dragging the menu bar to it

try #3, click switch res and don't play cutscenes... myth starts. However, my mouse is on the 2nd panel, I'm guessing because the res change to 640x480 on the large panel pushed my cursor to the secondary screen (the powerbook is arranged to the right of the main screen). Because the lrage ext screen is now 640x480, my arrangement is a bit messed up, and the cursor barely finds a place where the screens 'meet'. Go to preferences, choose the openg1 screen #1 (ext screen) and 1600x1200. Game starts, everything seems to work ok. Game ends and my cursor is again on the powerbook screen when the res switches.

switch the powerbook screen back to the main screen...

try #4. Start myth, click on the powerbook screen to start up on, switch res, don't play cutscenes... myth starts fine on the powerbook screen. go to preferences, choose open gl #2 (which is the ext screen) and 1600x1200. Host a game... start... screen goes blue, and myth crashes. Last thing in log is 'Loading Patch Files Succeeded'.

Summary - I can't seem to play Myth on a secondary screen. There has always been some issues with thing, ranging from it working sometimes, to not working depending on setup/vid card etc.

Anyway, thought I would report to see if it's a known issue, fixable, unfixable, or not looked at yet (:
Brainbug

Post by Brainbug »

it's a "known" issue, i reported it once on udogs, but i play on my main screen so no problem for me actually, and i didn't put any more effort in it after that...

did you change the screen in ur myth preferences too?
i have options:
software screen#1 (main screen)
software screen#2
openGL #1
openGL #2

maybe you need to select both in the pre-game options (like you did) and in the preferences to play on the secondary screen...

(either way, it crashes for me :/)

also, if you use macosX.3, myth unexpectedly quits when you played with 2 screens and try to shut it down,...
(still no problem because you want to quit it anyways, didn't happen in osX.2 though)
this last crash has been looked into by myrd, but since it doesn't do anything he just dismissed it, i can live with clicking one extra time on "cancel" to not send a crash report when i quit myth...
Conner

Post by Conner »

well, it sounds to me that playing myth on a secondary screen on a Mac just doens't work, and probably will not work - in which case it might just be best to remove any indication in the monitor setup on start up making it look like it could possibly work... Just a thought (:

I actually haven't had the MacOS 10.3 unexpectedly quit issue when I try to quit Myth, and the 'best' solution is to change my 'main' screen to my large screen before starting Myth... which is better than nothing, but not much, heh.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

I bet if one of the developers had multi-screen setups then it'd be working ;)
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Krusader

Post by Krusader »

Haha :D
Krusader Bastard
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

I Swear I've used a second monitor on my 12 inch powerbook without hiccups.

I'll have to try it when i get home.
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

Well, I had lost my miniDVI-VGA Adapter, but i finally got a new one.

What has been working for me, is to set up my ext monitor as my main screen, and my powerbook as secondary screen. Then just pick mainscreen openGL.

Works so far.

Just to be funny i tried starting another version of myth, and running it on my second monitor. That didn't work. The second version of myth crashed =\

But i can use my 17 inch monitor fine, and even have hl /web going on my laptops monitor.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

I just check the option MIRROR in the display options and basically makes a mirror image of your desktop on to the second monitor, that way when you play myth it comes in both screen at the same time, and voila, you can play in the larger screen with no problems...
and I have the same 12 inch computer.
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

I think Conner's big thing is he wan'ts to play at 1600x1200 resolution, that the Powerbook doesn't support.

Another option, would be to close your powerbook, Plug in the monitor, and plugin a keyboard or mouse. Click the keyboard or mouse, and your external monitor will be the Only monitor. You can then open the powerbook, and it will remain black.

This way myth can't get confused, because it thinks your powerbook doens't exist. Then you can just set the external monitor to whatever res you want.
Ray

Post by Ray »

I had similar troubles. Playing in a window started as a necessity, but I've actually grown to prefer it.

Ray