Scripters and other skilled myth DEVS WANTED

Talk about anything here.
Zeph

Re: Scripters and other skilled myth DEVS WANTED

Post by Zeph »

lol just say that you have nothing to shwo and we'll believe you............
stop working on our farewell removedtagset and show some material
oops
edited not to offense people
Last edited by Zeph on Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

You write your own truth and history Renwood.

Never post anything more than the small handful of screenshots on your website that have been there for a long time, and you can be sure NOT to gain interest.

At this point, I see alot of people that might even be unwilling to play your project if it WERE released, simply cause you've talked us down on it so much. You've basically told us 'our project is great, tehse are words, I have nothing to back up this statement.' Which makes many people think you're full of hot air.

Please, pretty please, PROVE US WRONG?
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

Why don't you post some screenshots in your thread of your new maps to help INSPIRE people to help you on your project?
But I'm all for seeing some screenshots- it definitely is a good way to generate some buzz- and as someone pointed out, its a good way to draw the attention of potential scripters/contributors.
If you have PLENTY of stuff to show, why not show SOME of the stuff?
Just post screenshots that don't show what you don't want to show ?

Now, Ren...
I would post more stuff, but if people arent even interested enough to look at what we have so far
This seems to speak otherwise...

There are certainly sprite-based *freeware* games that people play in the thousands, maybe tens of thousands, and which have much more active and vibrant communities than this one. There are even sprite-based independent games that sell for a low price, e.g. Spirit Engine 2, following the freeware success of its prequel. There's nothing wrong with a cult game--though Take2's ownership may be the problem with that plan or any other.
Aye, I don't doubt that sprite based freeware games do well, but Myth isn't freeware, and if someone is pushing for a myth game that is as dated graphically as Myth II, but costs money, even only like $10, I guaranty that not a large amount of people will take the plunge, it's an old game, and doesn't have a freeware prequel to back it up.

Myth II's engine is half sprite, half 3D, which makes it all the more obvious how dated the engine in, sure you can have a nice HD sprite unit walk right by a 2D tree, doesn't matter how high res it is, it stands out. And then you just orbit the units, and watch as it jerks between angles. If it were entirely sprite based on a 2D environment, it would be easier to make it look less dated by making higher res sprites, but the fact that it is on a 3D environment and it takes a immense amount of work to try and make up for that, (Multi-angle trees, more angled units) as well as taxing the engine and computers more, would help to show that the Myth II engine is *old*, no matter what way you slice the cake.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Zeph, I have no idea wth your problem is. I've tried on MANY occassions to seperate the hot air coming from Renwood about the TWindA project from the efforts of the many talented people working on the project, So If you are part of the great TWindA project and you are annoyed at my unwillingness to swallow the kool-aid and "just believe" everything Ren says then why don't you post something for people to be impressed with - Or is Ren the only person 'authorized' to do publicity for your project? (if so you'd be better voting him off the island as he seems to just insult people and piss them off.) On the other hand if there's nothing there worth showing after all these years of bragging then stop trying to bring in irrelevant personal issues you have just to try to hide the fact that the wanna-be-emperor has no clothes. If Ren is still using a pre-1.7 release request about not showing textures explicitly as an excuse for not showing ANYTHING that's ridiculous - no wonder the project is so far behind - your project lead apparently either doesn't even realize 1.7 has been released yet - or has NO IDEA WHY Magma even asked TWindA not to post screenshots in the first place. Either way - not a good sign.

for what it's worth, I DO have an interest in TWindA, it SOUNDS great, I WANT it to be great, I REALLY WANT TO PLAY IT - it's just the more time that goes by with nothing to show for all the work allegedly being done on the project and the grander the claims get about the project and the more lame Rens' excuses sound (No time to learn how to script in 3-4 years? Even by someone who quit his job to work full time on this project? WTH has Ren been doing for the past two years if he's been working on the project for the past 2 years full time - he can't possibly be spending ALL his time figuring out new ways to alienate and offend the potential 'consumers' of his new project) I get ANGRY at being strung along promised the moon only to get nothing.

Prove me wrong. Please.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

vinylrake wrote:Zeph, I have no idea wth your problem is. I've tried on MANY occassions to seperate the hot air coming from Renwood about the TWindA project from the efforts of the many talented people working on the project, So If you are part of the great TWindA project and you are annoyed at my unwillingness to swallow the kool-aid and "just believe" everything Ren says then why don't you post something for people to be impressed with - Or is Ren the only person 'authorized' to do publicity for your project?
With all due respect, VR, I think you've misunderstood. As far as I can tell, Zeph is more against TWindA than anyone else. Just saying, because I'd rather not see the two of you get into a fight too.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Well my current impression is that Zeph is just trying to poke sticks at everyone to see what he can stir up, but I am open to being convinced otherwise.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

well, I think even if Ren posted some interesting screenshots or even if he was called mr friendly who everybody likes, nobody would be interested in helping.
There's a few still active mapmakers, fewer scripters and they are all working on their own personal projects.
So diverting the stress from the subject of the discussion, I think no one would be interested in scripting anything except for themselves.
Which I'm not saying it's unfair, just saying that it's reality.

so back to your first recruiting call: : I think the few good things that are coming out lately are all being done by individuals and not groups.
The last of the good ol' days of groups are kind of over...except for a few still standing...

:wink:
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Horus

Post by Horus »

Screenshots now Ren. No more bs excuses show us what you have. Sell the project like a salesman, not a preacher preaching about the "new Myth all powerful God" and how if we don't worship him we will be going to hell.

THAT IS ALL PEOPLE HAVE EVER WANTED!

Heck sure you may not get full time members but damn I bet people would be so much more willing to donate things to help you (like all those awesome people who donated stuff to help with TFV - Iron, Cydonian, ozone, Jagman, Khellek, GHOST etc etc {really long list of awesome peeps}).
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

vinylrake wrote:Zeph, I have no idea wth your problem is. I've tried on MANY occassions to seperate the hot air coming from Renwood about the TWindA project from the efforts of the many talented people working on the project, So If you are part of the great TWindA project and you are annoyed at my unwillingness to swallow the kool-aid and "just believe" everything Ren says then why don't you post something for people to be impressed with - Or is Ren the only person 'authorized' to do publicity for your project? (if so you'd be better voting him off the island as he seems to just insult people and piss them off.) On the other hand if there's nothing there worth showing after all these years of bragging then stop trying to bring in irrelevant personal issues you have just to try to hide the fact that the wanna-be-emperor has no clothes. If Ren is still using a pre-1.7 release request about not showing textures explicitly as an excuse for not showing ANYTHING that's ridiculous - no wonder the project is so far behind - your project lead apparently either doesn't even realize 1.7 has been released yet - or has NO IDEA WHY Magma even asked TWindA not to post screenshots in the first place. Either way - not a good sign.

for what it's worth, I DO have an interest in TWindA, it SOUNDS great, I WANT it to be great, I REALLY WANT TO PLAY IT - it's just the more time that goes by with nothing to show for all the work allegedly being done on the project and the grander the claims get about the project and the more lame Rens' excuses sound (No time to learn how to script in 3-4 years? Even by someone who quit his job to work full time on this project? WTH has Ren been doing for the past two years if he's been working on the project for the past 2 years full time - he can't possibly be spending ALL his time figuring out new ways to alienate and offend the potential 'consumers' of his new project) I get ANGRY at being strung along promised the moon only to get nothing.

Prove me wrong. Please.
LOL wtf ?
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Okay kids, y'all have had your fun. 9 pages of this is quite sufficient. Thread locked.