Scenario Mappack Idea - multimaps with background

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Lothar wrote:On the first level your dwarf has 167 something kills for killing all those ghasts. On the second level, he will be the same dwarf, with the same name, color, etc. and he will have all 167 kills and a new symbol representing that he has survived one battle. This will continue with all units, by the last level, if you keep all your units alive, they will have super fast attacks and be very accurate with their aim.

I remember the first time I played Myth II, I made a point of keeping the dwarf and three archers from Willow Creek alive the entire campaign. I was really happy that Myth II had made this possible, because in TFL veterans only carried over to consecutive levels, and if you came to a level without dwarves or archers, you would have to start from scratch next time you got them. Hooray for M2 veterans!

A-Red
Lothar

Post by Lothar »

That should count as like 4 posts :D
Phex

Post by Phex »

Lothar wrote:Another lesson from from T.A. Lothar?

:D Thank you for your long answer, Lo "Vet Expert" thar!

Just a few more questions left: :roll:

1) When I have a dwarf (lets call him Uri) which makes 20 kills in the first level and i can get him alive into the second level - what happens when he dies in the second level and I click on the 'Restart Level' button in the Lost-Game-Screen, which makes the second level reload? Will there still be an Uri with 20 kills or is he gone forever?

2) And what happens when I quit after the second level and restart it later loading it over the main menu - has Uri survived or is he vanished? (meaning - veterans are only saved during continuous games).

3) And - if Uri vanished - does that in this case mean loading a saved File of the end of level 1 or the beginning of level 2 would bring him back to life and make the game easier for me?

4) I read somewhere that all units can only vet 5 'shields'/'skulls' (although more are showed), which was changed in 1.4 or something (which means its not a default change, but you could change it now for non-reg units). Is this true?

5) Do vets also disappear in coop netgames when players join or leave?

Thank you for your effort!
<!--me&Phex--><span id='ME'><center>Phex gives you a cookie.</center></span><!--e-me-->Image
rgds,
- Phex
Lothar

Post by Lothar »

Study Session Two,
Location: Lothar's School of How-Exactly-Veterans-Work-And-Other-Trivial-Myth-Related-Information

Anyway...

Ok, I'm glad I was of some assistance, so here are my answers to your questions:

1) Consider the following situation: Uri is a good dwarf. So is his Bowman pal Eggihard. Uri finishes Willow Creek with 20 kills, and Eggihard with 7. On Salvation, Uri gets his brain eaten by a ghast(he's dead). Eggihard survives and gets 4 additional kills. On Down a Broken Path, Uri is nowhere to be found (bcuz he died mb?). But Eggihard is present and he has 2 "fluers de lys" and 11 shields. The player of this solo game, "Phex," really liked Uri and wants him back. Phex, being a prudent player, saved his game several times during "Salvation." He loads a Saved Game from when Uri was still alive, and this time manages to finish the level with Uri intact. Now, he can use Uri on Down a Broken Path!

Moral: Veteran Status is saved in each individual saved game, just like the location of units, the damage done to each of them, the location of projectiles and body parts, etc. Supposing Phex saved his first game where Uri died, he could now choose to play through Down a Broken Path in a reality where Uri died, or in his second saved game in which Uri survived.

I hope I answered your question

:;):

2)Phex quits Myth, shuts down his computer and takes a nap. He comes back several hours later and loads up his saved game. The game loads back up in exactly the same place he saved, with the same veteran units with the same damage and the same number of dudded dwarf bottles and ghol arms.

Moral: Saved games include the exact state of the game at the time you pressed "save game" including body parts, dead units, blood stains on the grass, and, yes, veteran status.

3)Yes, if Uri died just load up a saved game where he was still alive and try not to get him killed this time :D

5)A bunch of players are playing "Twice Born" and have every unit survive! Yee-haw, super-vets to use on "The Forge"! The level ends, they go back to the game-lobby, but just before everyone can get re-checked and the host can click "Start Game" some guy named Phex joins and the veterans get deleted. D'oh.

Moral: When new players join the game the veterans are deleted, regardless of the game type. If players leave, veterans stay intact for all remaining players.

Let's see...1,2,3,5? Oh yeah! :o

4)As for this question (it really doesn't pertain to modern Myth it is more of a history question), I am still trying to find out the specifics of what changes were made to veterans between 1.3---->1.4----->1.5

Glad to be of service.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I can pitch in on # 4. With 1.4 and 1.5, monster tags were given the ability to change that 'vetting number' (perhaps it was present in the past.. but units never counted much past 40.. as the little shields would track off the screen). With 1.5's (or was it 1.4's?) 'kill counter' mapmakers making new maps can edit special 'heroic' units to vet to a higher status, and get CONSIDDERABLY better over multiple kills. For example, look at Mazzarin's Demise 3 & 4, or Requeim of the Dead. Units in these plugins take advantage of vetting up and killing lots of guys. If you get mazz or the pathfinder to 250+ kills, they recover their attack speed BY ALOT. This feature does not, however, affect basic Myth 2 gameplay. Myth 2 units will only 'get better' to a max of 5 kills... even if the berzerker Thorald of the thousand scars has 500 billion kills, he'd only be as powerful as his buddy 'rolgar of blazing fire' with 5 or 6 kills. It's all up to the mapmaker :)

Hope that clears it all up for you! :D
Lothar

Post by Lothar »

I concur.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Graydon wrote:even if the berzerker Thorald of the thousand scars has 500 billion kills, he'd only be as powerful as his buddy 'rolgar of blazing fire' with 5 or 6 kills.
Poor Thorald...all that killing for nothing.

A-Red