Overhead map drawing color

Talk about anything here.

Do you think the color for drawing on the overhead map should be changed to orange, to make it look different from enemy units?

Orange!!!!
67%
I like it RED, like the blood of my enemies...
33%

Total votes: 15

Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

Pink - there are no maps with pink ground.
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Eddaweaver wrote:Pink - there are no maps with pink ground.
Well, I think desert could be quite similar. IMO the best solution would be to choose between few colors.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Another vote for The Scratched Wayâ„¢

I rock :)

j/k :lol:
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

I picked the orange option but I really do agree about the few color option. So "competitive players" don't think we are making things the way non-"competitive players" might do it.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I'm filing my request under the "Americans With Disabilities Act".
Fix it or enjoy your visit from the ACLU. :)
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Oooh a pallet might be nice, just use the one in the multiplayer dialog or something...

-DA
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Except making a whole new dialog to choose it, and code to handle it is much more work than changing a constant in the code. :(
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I don't think you need a prefs dialog for that.

I was thinking more in the line of hitting F8 (or something that toggles team colors/enemy colors) and have it rotate to the different colors every time you hit it. It'd be up to the developer(s) to pick a few different color schemes and stick with that. Red/Blue, Orange/Green, Yellow/Purple, etc....

I'm not sure if there's any keys left for cycling the overhead drawing colors. Couldn't it be bound to the same key for cycling team colors but alternate it by using the shift key?

For example, F8 cycles through 5 different color schemes for team/enemy while Shift-F8 cycles through different color pencils for drawing on the overhead. That could be a user preference that is set locally. Alternatively, if this proves too much of a pain to be done, it could implemented as a mapmaking feature so the mapmaker can choose what color the overhead uses for drawing. Old maps would just need to be updated (again).

Baak's Dark Charcoal pencil overhead drawing of a bacon strip would look like my preferred (for example) color of Taupe on my overhead.

Something like that.
Oroboros

Post by Oroboros »

Pfft. Color is so 90's.

Myrd, just code in a raised bump surface for my touchscreen interface, so I can feel it when my enemies get to close.

-Oro
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

hehe, I can see your enemies arranging their troops to say nasty things in braille, Oro :)

Orange works for me.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Baak

Post by Baak »

What about some kind of extra prefs/plugin file - simple text - that's actually an advanced configuration file (an .ini file essentially) that contains "extra" settings like this?

With it you could do things like:

Code: Select all

ohmap_drawing_color = 0x99ff99;
ohmap_enemy_color = 0x112041;
ohmap_friendly_color = 0x34aa88;
ohmap_yourunits_color = 0x916699;
floyn_similar_colors = false;
etc.
With this simple file you could add additional configuration for the user without having to build or adjust anything in the interface.

If it's missing, you don't change anything (the default).
If a variable or it's value is not used (or mistyped or whatever), you could put a warning in "myth_log.txt" and ignore the setting.

This also leaves it open for future tweaks. :)
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Hey, I like those ideas Baak :D
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

So for example someone could set their map-drawing colour to be pink and it would display what they've drawn as being pink on other team-mates' maps too?

A good feature for the overheadmap would be being able to press + (and -) and have it made 4x larger. It would need to be 4x so the pixels could remain 1:1 when enlarged; eg 1 pixel becomes a block of 4. It is fairly difficult to see the overhead map on larger resolutions.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Another very good idea Sharp. I don't like predefining keys like that though - there are some players unhappy with the hardcoded use of the Caps Lock key in 1.6.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

iron wrote:there are some players unhappy with the hardcoded use of the Caps Lock key in 1.6.
Yeah I heard of one player. I forgot what he said was the reason he didn't like it.