Movement at the station

Talk about anything here.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Tox: Atm it just enlarges, as on really hi-res displays it can be very difficult seeing what's going on with an OH the size of a postage stamp.

Edda: The delay is purely down to the length of time between Melekor hitting the resize key. I'd imagine though that users will set a size they like, it'll be saved to prefs & they won't touch the feature again.

zach: Myth 2 currently renders in 16 bit for software and 32 bit for most (perhaps all, not sure) hardware renderers. The source graphics (sprites, landscape textures etc) are all 8 bit, but there's nothing we can do about that. By the time you see them on screen using a hardware renderer they've been converted to 32 bit & smoothed.

carlinho: We'll release it when its ready :) We've got a few other features we want to add/complete, plus there's the gameplay fixes that started us on 1.7 to begin with that really need a lot of testing. Our dev team hasn't had nearly the amount of time we need to devote to 1.7 recently, but hopefully that'll improve in the new year.

Btw this version won't have huge amounts of new mapmaking features, as we're trying to concentrate more on the gamer's experience with 1.7 rather than the mapmaker's. That, and ChrisP isn't around anymore to pester Myrd into adding things, plus I've long retired from making plugins ;)
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

Iron, its okay that not everything will be mapmaking features - we understand they take time to develop properly.

HOWEVER.

1.7 MUST HAVE PROJECTILES INTO MONSTERS. I dont care what else you leave out, honestly - PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY get a proj-into-mons feature working by 1.7.

I will not ask for anything else - that is my christmas wish. I beseech you - PROJ INTO MONS.

Thank you for your consideration,

-ooga

BTW if you need someone to replace chrisp in the "bug myrd" department, I am more than happy to fill the role :P
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

well iron, the texturizer feature by itself is amazing not only for players.
we mapmakers united are gagging and drooling about it....
imagine our lovely color maps with that..... :D

and me personally I'm sleepless awaiting 1.7 for the improvements in the graphical performance myrd told me it will have, that will allow the greek plugin units (huge size renderes of sprites) to play without lag....

so believe me!!!! I'm crazed at the idea of 1.7 hehehehe

:wink:

of course, I of most people can understand the complicated process of doing things, and I totally understand it will be ready when it's ready...
I'll be around, don't worry....hehehe

and thanks!!!!!! amazing work!!!!
:D
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

iron wrote: Edda: The delay is purely down to the length of time between Melekor hitting the resize key. I'd imagine though that users will set a size they like, it'll be saved to prefs & they won't touch the feature again.
When the overhead map is larger it is quite easy to click on by accident. This is very noticable if you run on 640x480.
I hadn't envisaged people chosing a setting in the preferences, but instead being able to intermitantly toggle it to large size or back (with an instant transition) via a toggle key like shift + tab.

I don't think there is a need to have a setting in the Myth preferences for the overhead map size. It would be easier if it was persistant; the overhead map size setting is retained at the end of each game and is reused at the start of the next game.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Eddaweaver wrote:I don't think there is a need to have a setting in the Myth preferences for the overhead map size. It would be easier if it was persistant; the overhead map size setting is retained at the end of each game and is reused at the start of the next game.
I believe that this is what was meant. The point was, if it's persistent, it should be stored in the preferences (in the preferences files) - which doesn't necessarily mean that it will be added to the preferences user interface. There's a difference between where it's _set_ and where it's _saved_.
zach

Post by zach »

iron thats great that it gets rendered to 32bit i understand that but what you start with is still the end all end all 32bit rendered still ends up looking like garbage compared to what it could be so the system requirements have to be raised if the 38 people that still play this game don't have a good enough computer to run a game 10 years old then so be it. personally i could run this game in software just as good. Most computers have been replaced when high speed internet came out.

(i personally don't play this game for the graphics its all about the game play)

sadly a lot of people that look for a game to play its mostly comes down to graphics.

i know its possible to make this game look better so if it comes down to raising recommendations why cant there be some kinda selection in prefs like a performace mode that just cranks it up just incase someone plays with a computer from the 90's which isnt likely. Just trying to think outside the box. ( i know oak is not the best that can be done with this game)

for this game to withstand more time we need a major overhaul or go open source which i dont think it gonna happen.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

zach wrote:iron thats great that it gets rendered to 32bit i understand that but what you start with is still the end all end all 32bit rendered still ends up looking like garbage compared to what it could be so the system requirements have to be raised if the 38 people that still play this game don't have a good enough computer to run a game 10 years old then so be it. personally i could run this game in software just as good. Most computers have been replaced when high speed internet came out.
If I understand you correctly, this would require re-rendering _all_ of the sprite and texture graphics that the game uses in 32 bit form. We have none of Bungie's original textures or unit models. Even if we did we are not in a position, logistically or legally, to do the work and then start distributing a download of several hundred megabytes. If you really think anything like this will ever happen then I want some of what you're smoking :)
zach wrote:i know its possible to make this game look better so if it comes down to raising recommendations why cant there be some kinda selection in prefs like a performace mode that just cranks it up just incase someone plays with a computer from the 90's which isnt likely. Just trying to think outside the box. ( i know oak is not the best that can be done with this game)
A selection in prefs that "just cranks it up". Hmm, why didn't we think of that? Sure, we'll get right on it!
zach wrote:(i personally don't play this game for the graphics its all about the game play)

sadly a lot of people that look for a game to play its mostly comes down to graphics.

for this game to withstand more time we need a major overhaul or go open source which i dont think it gonna happen.
For new teenage players you're mostly right. For older gamers, less so. For Myth veterans, graphics is nice but like you yourself said, its all about the gameplay. People are still playing games like Go, Scrabble, Poker and Chess - Myth blows them away graphics-wise already.

In summary, we are doing what we can to improve things, and the detail layer feature is a big step towards making Myth look better. However, it will always be constrained by running off 8-bit textures and sprites and I'm sorry, there's really nothing that can or will be done to change that.
zach

Post by zach »

i just want something to bring more players this game is going down the tubes an there is so much potential untapped.

Legally :lol: what has been legal in the first place take2 prolly doesnt even know the game exists anymore. Let alone people play it. The large community of 38players at peak hours.

Im not trying to tell ya what to do by any means.

i was just adding my 2cents im glad you guys are even doing 1.7 i didnt think we would even see that. So this is big enough.
keep up the good work
qwerty2

Post by qwerty2 »

having the ability to set captains (or a group of people who can captain) before the game without having anyone else on their team would be a very nice addition
what the hell is the pword to my old account?
qwerty2

Post by qwerty2 »

another lovely request.

increase the size of unit trading box
allowing the host to limit the size of teams in ffa games.
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

Qwerty reminded me of another thing that would be cool. When three or more teams are created in a two team game it would be cool if the people who have joined together were able to end up on the same team as each other even if they are not one of the two teams to be the captains (assuming the numbers would still be fair).
qwerty2

Post by qwerty2 »

another thing: add some (or all) of the post release bungie maps to the default map list. Phoenix rising is only 3mb, leagues is only 2.1mb so it wouldn't make the patch much larger.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

having the ability to set captains (or a group of people who can captain) before the game without having anyone else on their team
This could potentially be done by having the Join button available when you've clicked on your own name. When you do so, your name changes to your team's name to indicate to others that you're prepared to captain. Hit Disband to go back to being a non-captain again.
increase the size of unit trading box
That means stuffing around with tons of graphics - won't happen I'm afraid
allowing the host to limit the size of teams in ffa games
This could be done if there was a value added for it in the host's multiplayer game setup dialog I guess.
When three or more teams are created in a two team game it would be cool if the people who have joined together were able to end up on the same team as each other even if they are not one of the two teams to be the captains (assuming the numbers would still be fair).
Sounds good to me.
add some (or all) of the post release bungie maps to the default map list.
I'm in favour of this, as I was back in 2005(?) when qwerty suggested it previously. Not that my opinion matters much, as I don't/can't play online anyway.

I'm not sure if any of the above will actually get into 1.7, as Myrd would have to implement them & I can't speak for him. I do think they're good ideas though on the whole.
qwerty2

Post by qwerty2 »

I'm in favour of this, as I was back in 2005(?) when qwerty suggested it previously. Not that my opinion matters much, as I don't/can't play online anyway.
I can't remember why this wasn't implemented back then but I think it had something to do with the overall size of the patch, but really what is an extra 10mb these days? At the very least seven phoenix rising should be added, if not all 5 of the maps.

On a related note, why can I not find cryptic wightings or going to town at the tain?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Cryptic Wightings was already there in the form of "Gothic", but I've put up the "Cryptic Wightings" version too.

Trying to put up Going to Town also.