Should Magma make more updates?

Talk about anything here.

Should Magma make more updates?

Yes, I have a 11 page feature request list typed and ready to post.
44%
Yes, if Myth stagnates it'll die sooner rather than later.
22%
Depends on what new features would be added, but I guess so.
24%
Only if I don't have to know about it until it's finished.
2%
Oh God, where's my 1.3.2 disc.
7%

Total votes: 41

Baak

Post by Baak »

(Nice compliment, sil! :) )

As discussed recently in this thread, having the ability for units to start with an artifact that has an optional "change to mons xyz if started with artifact" setting (all via Fear) - would be the bee's frickin' knees and open up lots of cool possibilities.

I know Carlinho and I would put this to use immediately! :D
ozone

Post by ozone »

sillek wrote:Only two reason to play Myth:

OoH games
SF2 beta testing

Just make sure ozone gets everything he wants and pressure him into finishing SF2 !!
NO..I did not pay sillek to say this...

:D
do it.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Wars of Reckoning. There's one reason Magma should keep going. I'd give ye more but I can't remember what's on the projects page and what's been cancelled.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

As discussed recently in this thread, having the ability for units to start with an artifact that has an optional "change to mons xyz if started with artifact" setting (all via Fear) - would be the bee's frickin' knees and open up lots of cool possibilities.

I know Carlinho and I would put this to use immediately!

I'd be ecstatic for something like that too.
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

I would put an ingame mute button into use immediately if there was one...
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Wars of Reckoning. There's one prime example of a really crappy bad map.

On the OTHER hand, DoD and Mazz are two EXCELLENT reasons to play Myth!
Baak

Post by Baak »

I probably should clarify that "starts with artifact" request just slightly in case it didn't make sense earlier - this is from the Fear perspective:

(1) Add a field in the mons tag: "Starts With Artifact" - a drop-down list of projectiles with None as the first entry.

(2) Add a field in the arti tag: "Reverts to mons if started with Artifact" - a drop-down list of mons with None as the first entry.

That way a mons could start with an artifact and it would behave just as if they picked it up.

If the artifact turns them into a different mons, then they would revert to the original mons upon dropping/losing the artifact.

If the artifact has the (2) "Reverts to mons if started with Artifact", then they would revert to that mons when the artifact was dropped/lost. Note this setting in the artifact is optional to allow for the mons to change into something different after losing their starting artifact.

This would be INCREDIBLY SWEET!! :D

Carlinho had one other excellent idea:

(3) Add a field in the mons tag below (1): "Starts With Random Artifact" - a drop-down list of projectile groups with None as the first entry. You would have to pick either (1) or (3) but if you picked (3) it would use a random projectile from the list in the projectile group according to % appearance (one of the % values in there). Any missing % would go to the first entry - any in excess of 100% would be lopped off the end. Thus you could have three projectiles in the projectile group with %'s of 0.500, 0.300, 0.200 and it would randomly pick one of these projectile/artifacts for each and every mons that had (3) set. This would allow for armies to start with random weapons.

OMG

I'd say (1) and (2) as the highest priority, and then if (3) could be added that would be most excellent.

Edited By Baak on 1139882149
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

of course you'd also combine the above with the ability for carried artifacts to be remembered from one level to the next...
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

iron wrote:of course you'd also combine the above with the ability for carried artifacts to be remembered from one level to the next...

Well, duh!

;)

If the artifact has the (2) "Reverts to mons if started with Artifact", then they would revert to that mons when the artifact was dropped/lost. Note this setting in the artifact is optional to allow for the mons to change into something different after losing their starting artifact.

If I'm understanding correctly, the artifact drop down menu wouldn't be necessary as this is what would happen anyway when the artifact was dropped or spent. But yeah, I am all for this feature along with some additional expansions on it, such as Iron's suggestion. I think artifacts are the key for Myth evolving.

Edited By ChrisP on 1139887653
Baak

Post by Baak »

If I'm understanding correctly, the artifact drop down menu wouldn't be necessary as this is what would happen anyway when the artifact was dropped or spent. But yeah, I am all for this feature along with some additional expansions on it, such as Iron's suggestion. I think artifacts are the key for Myth evolving.

Actually you're absolutely right! What I wanted to be sure to have available is the ability to have a mons start in a "crippled" form that goes away once they discard the artifact they start with. But as long as they can start with an artifact and it acts like they just picked it up, you could have them change to a different mons when starting with that particular artifact.

Let's say a "mons standard" starts with the "medalion of doom" and this artifact converts them to "mons burdened" (maybe slowing them down, etc.). Let's say they must take the medalion to the cave of secrets or whatever to toss it into the pool of redemption. As long as they convert back to "mons standard" once the artifact is dropped, that's perfect.

So ignore my item (2) in the previous post and just go with (1) and (3) - thanks ChrisP! :)

Edited By Baak on 1139895101
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

damn it, that would rock baak, that would mean when I do a map with 600 hoplites I don't need to place 600 spears and 600 swords on the ground and do a script line assigning them to the 600 hoplites, by clicking on the freaking 1200 projectiles on the ground!!!!!!!!!!aaaaarghhhh!!!!!and etc...
count me in for the ride
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

but carlinho, you could just do a GEOM search for objects of that type, passing the result to the CTRL that gives them to the units. No clicking required :)
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Well, I readily admit to being wrong in this scenario. Zak and Godz have done a sterling job of convincing me of the virtues of a 'mute' button.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

wow iron, that's a great idea, I had no clue as to that trick.
thanks!!!!!
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

William Wallet wrote:Well, I readily admit to being wrong in this scenario. Zak and Godz have done a sterling job of convincing me of the virtues of a 'mute' button.
Wow, thanks for the compliment.