What's left for Myth?

Talk about anything here.
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

Well you could send your friend the film over AIM or whatever and start the film at same time while both being on AIM.

You mean you want to be able to logon Playmyth/Marius/IP.game and simply play a film instead of a map. If this was ever somehow incorporated, I imagine it'd go pretty similar to being able to run saved games online as well.
I wear a plastic ass on my bag ~ Da Cheeze
Cobalt 7

Post by Cobalt 7 »

Is there anyway to improve on Fear and Loathing? Like upping their stats and capabilities, or improving the interface?
I decided to look up in the sky, and lo and behold there was a BoB. I stared at him, and he stared back. There was silence for a great while until he said in a thunderous, booming voice..."Okay, Okay, DON'T Frogblast the ventcore."
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

Cobalt 7 wrote:Is there anyway to improve on Fear and Loathing? Like upping their stats and capabilities, or improving the interface?
Been done.
Archer

Post by Archer »

vinylrake wrote:Myth already has multiperson film viewing capability in both synchronous and asynchronous modes.

synchronous: Sitting at home I yell "Hey look at this cool Myth film" then everyone huddles around the computer and watches it at the same time.

asynchrounous: I watch a film then I send it to you then you watch it.

:)
Heh. I meant, as LeDant stated (and you presumably surmised), being able to join a server that then replays a film instead of playing a new game, presumably with some means of differentiating new messages from the saved messages from the film. While the "huddle around the computer" method works pretty well, you can only look at one thing at a time that way, and it also works less well when (like me) your Myth group is split between California, Georgia, Indiana, and Massachusetts. It makes for a very long-distance huddle.

~J
Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

I still insist on better resolution for colour maps
less lag with bigger size sprites for units
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Archer wrote:Heh. I meant, as LeDant stated (and you presumably surmised), being able to join a server that then replays a film instead of playing a new game, presumably with some means of differentiating new messages from the saved messages from the film.
As a programmer I can't conceive of any way this would be possible from within the Myth engine because unless you disabled the camera movement by everyone except the 'host' (don't even know how you could do that easily or at all) the game engine would melt while trying to handle 3,4,6,8,12 different sets of camera controls or everyone's camera would jerk all over the place as each new command by each of the players got processed.

Of course if you DID disable the camera movement and just let the 'host' drive and have the in-game chat available for messaging the host could almost as easily just screen capture the film the way he wants to show it and then give the link to teammates. Then everyone fires up AIM to chat and starts the quicktime movie at the same time. Lower tech but much more possible.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Archer

Post by Archer »

Or… you could let them all have their own cameras just like when the game is playing :)

The only place there'd need to be a resolution of control is in time dilation. Presumably the host or captain would get control of time.

~J
Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Well if it were up to me, I'd put it on lowest requested speed. That works pretty well for some other game I used to play with Cid.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

"OMG AFK FILM DIREKT0R RH!!!!!!@"
I wear a plastic ass on my bag ~ Da Cheeze
AblitERateOR

Post by AblitERateOR »

vinylrake wrote:
Archer wrote:Heh. I meant, as LeDant stated (and you presumably surmised), being able to join a server that then replays a film instead of playing a new game, presumably with some means of differentiating new messages from the saved messages from the film.
As a programmer I can't conceive of any way this would be possible from within the Myth engine because unless you disabled the camera movement by everyone except the 'host' (don't even know how you could do that easily or at all) the game engine would melt while trying to handle 3,4,6,8,12 different sets of camera controls or everyone's camera would jerk all over the place as each new command by each of the players got processed.

Of course if you DID disable the camera movement and just let the 'host' drive and have the in-game chat available for messaging the host could almost as easily just screen capture the film the way he wants to show it and then give the link to teammates. Then everyone fires up AIM to chat and starts the quicktime movie at the same time. Lower tech but much more possible.
From my knowledge i would have said it was possible but not too easy, and not too useful :)

Surely the film could run on the hosts computer, just as a normal film would, and the host could send the commands to the other players (as he would if playing a game) and when the other players recieve them their game engine could process them. It would be just like running a film but instead of reading the commands for the game from the saved film file, it would be recieving those files over the network. There would be no need to synchronise or share one useres camera movements with anothers.

Im not too sure how one would deal with differentiating messages from those from the original game, or even being able to chat while watching it.

However considering the work required to implement it, it seems kinda pointless :)
Mac OSX 1.4.9
Intel 1.83 Dual Core iMac
1GB RAM
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

AblitERateOR wrote:Surely the film could run on the hosts computer, just as a normal film would, and the host could send the commands to the other players (as he would if playing a game) and when the other players recieve them their game engine could process them.
That's fine EXCEPT if it's just sending commands from the host to the players as "if playing a game" Myth is also accepting commands from the players and redistributing them to other players and the host. So, maybe conceptually it's not that complicated since camera movement commands don't get retransmitted to other players (they stay local) BUT there are comands that are detected by each player's version of Myth and sent to the host to be distributed to all the other players (things like speed-up-film, slow-down-film and the chat) - that's why I mentioned possibly needing to programmatically shut down the player-to-host input data stream.
However considering the work required to implement it, it seems kinda pointless :)
Well, before I'd vote for the Myth-night-at-the-Movies capabilities, I'd definitely prefer to have better resolution(and/or more colors) on the colormap/scenery/models/units and a finer resolution of the underlying grid all the maps use.
AblitERateOR

Post by AblitERateOR »

i was taking for granted that speeding up filmd would not be allowed.. or atleast not by anyone except the host. That would just be asking for people to fuck with those commands to piss others off. I can just see everytime someone hit f1 or f2 in a shared film people wouldnt be too happy hehe
Mac OSX 1.4.9
1GB RAM
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

AblitERateOR wrote:i was taking for granted that speeding up filmd would not be allowed.. or atleast not by anyone except the host. That would just be asking for people to fuck with those commands to piss others off. I can just see everytime someone hit f1 or f2 in a shared film people wouldnt be too happy hehe
oh i agree conceptually it's a given that you wouldn't want to send those commands - I was just pointing out that there might be a crapload of stuff that normally occurs when in single player playback mode which would have to be coded for in multiplayer - sometimes it can seem almost as difficult to figure out how to disable something as it is to enable it.
AblitERateOR

Post by AblitERateOR »

yea i agree, and im definately not suggesting its worth the effort, just that its possible and not tooo difficult, well basic functionality probably wouldnt be, but to implement chat and stuff would suddenly make it more complicated :)
Mac OSX 1.4.9
1GB RAM
Organ Donor

Post by Organ Donor »

Enculator wrote:add a "restart myth" button.
I hate restarting myth when i install a new plugin.
lazyness !!
Speaking of plugins, it would be nice if there were some kind of plugin management system. I got a crap load of plugins, and when I want to activate one, i have to filter though a huge list and it will only have the file name not the actual name of the plugin. It would be nice if it gave more information about the plugin, and be able to sort by how many start points there are, how many units on the map, coop or multiplayer, stuff like that. Also have a tagging system where you can have a "playlist" of your favorite maps.