Transparency, underwater, renderer load, FPS, clumping, etc

Talk about anything here.
The Seeker

This thread good info for a readme!

Post by The Seeker »

Myrd wrote:Honestly, if you find that Myth already works great for you, who cares if there's some option somewhere? It's already running fine!
I like to know everything :) And, as a programmer, I'm detailed-oriented, so I like to know all the details :P Incomplete documentation always bothers me. And, sure, I don't need that option now...but what if I start background multi-tasking (IM?) or using an older system for a LAN party and then do need some option like this? :P

Anyway, it seems there are options that no one knew (except Magma folks), or only a few knew, or some thought they knew but they were half/all wrong. Seems like info in this thread would be GREAT in a readme!
Shaister

Post by Shaister »

A lot of interesting discussion in this thread. I'm going to reply to multiple posts without bothering to quote anyone :p

I've been told that trow did actually have more health on TFL, but melee clumping in M2 definitely lessens the dominance of trow.

As I recall, hiding underwater objects was a quickfix for people whose fps dropped substantially during big battles in water, when lots of debris would pile up under the surface.

Anti-clump doesn't make melee more effective, it just changes M2 to play slightly more like TFL without the full conversion of vTFL.

Thrall are better in TFL because dwarves are worse, basically. Thrall have pretty much always been the strongest melee unit point-for-point, in TFL and M2. It's not hard to stop thrall clumping in M2 with custom formations, they will just be sliced to pieces by all the other tightly packed melee :p.

I used to think that TFL was a deeper game than M2, but having played M2 for quite a few years now I know that's really not true. The only area where I think TFL outshines M2 is the melee battles, because of the slower pace and lack of clumping- but there's still plenty of micro to be done in M2 melee battles (hint: shift double click).

As for strategical and tactical decisions, positioning and picking when and where to fight is every bit as important in TFL, and probably more so because of the greater role artillery units play. In TFL small hills really weren't that great an obstacle, because most battles were decided by melee and pus (on light maps anyways). A hill that would barely register as a roadbump for a TFL juggernaut gives a serious advantage to M2 dwarves, especially when they're facing pus ghols.

If you want to see high level strategy and complex maneuvering, download some films of the Northern Paladins from past MWCs. The top level teams on M2 were the pinnacle of Myth play in strategy, coordination, and so called bc skillz.

Heh, almost forgot the original reason I was going to post in this thread.
I'm running 1.6 classic but I don't have the option to cap fps. What I do have is an option called Window Hacks for Lag. Anyone know more about this?

Post by Avatara »

Shaister wrote: Heh, almost forgot the original reason I was going to post in this thread.
I'm running 1.6 classic but I don't have the option to cap fps. What I do have is an option called Window Hacks for Lag. Anyone know more about this?
I could be wrong, but I think that the cap fps option is only available in the modern 1.6 install (not classic).
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Shaister wrote: Heh, almost forgot the original reason I was going to post in this thread.
I could be wrong, but I think that the cap fps option is only available in the modern 1.6 install (not classic).
That option is equivalent to "Yield CPU". CIK just renamed it for the Classic build, cuz really that's what it is. It's like a non-finegrained version of FPS cap that yields some CPU (but not very much) to other background tasks.

The FPS cap wasn't put on the Classic build (actually it was removed after I put it), since it caused some problems on some older Windows ME systems iirc.
Shaister

Post by Shaister »

I see, thanks.