The Battle for Urbarahz v1.0

Talk about anything here.
A-Red

Re: The Battle for Urbarahz v1.0

Post by A-Red »

Cobalt 7 wrote:It's little things that snow ball. Take Defense Maps that Bungie made. They always gave the player a good deal of warning most of the time about when a wave would come. Enemy waves in Urbarahz just sort of swamp you, especially in that epic sized defense map at the Gates in the snow. I had no idea which way the scripting was supposed to go, or where I should be moving my units around (at least, as a solo). The scale and detail were great... It just eventually got overwhelming like a 1-man game of Mazz.
I'm not sure I buy the comparison you're making here. Nearly all the enemies on Shoulders of Urbarahz come from one side of the map and the whole map has invisible observers, meaning if you group up at the other side of the map you can see them coming from nearly the whole map's distance--MUCH more warning than you get on Shadow of the Mountain or The Wall or any Bungie map--it's one of the things I've always loved about Shoulders, on which the greater visibility is a good balance for the fact that there are larger than normal numbers of enemies and traps are more than usually helpful. I'm not sure if the ability to go around with all heroes and pick up reinforcements is intuitive, but I *know* I made sure to include it in the hints. It's true that you're not told where to go, but I don't think that that's information I as a mapmaker should necessarily have to give you, especially on a defensive map. It's a game of strategy and tactics--what fun is it if you aren't pushed to make decisions?

That said, I may want to put more variation in the difficulty levels on that map--the idea would be to keep Normal and higher as they are, but remove some enemies on the lower difficulties, which I think currently have the same enemies as Normal.
Cobalt 7 wrote:Then there's the Goblins. I love the Goblin Units in TSG, but since they're faster than the player units, they force a dramatic shift from the flexible "Attack, Make a mistake, retreat, try again, maybe." strategy of Myth, and turn it into a lot more "Prepare for a trap, or battle plan that will kill a ton of Goblins with minimal damage to your forces. Fuck up. Hit reload."
Not much to be done about that at this point, but I think that it really is a matter of learning to use the unit sets you're given. Between the arquebusiers and the axes, you've got a lot of potential to recover if the enemy gets inside bottle range, and I've rarely found myself setting satchel traps to win except on Shoulders.
killerking

Post by killerking »

I found another bug on 'on the shoulders of urbarahz'

When the camera auto-moved towards the thane, I clicked somewhere else on the map (to set up my troops). After I did klicked, the thane didn't say his sentence and the guys didn't teleport. I'll add the replay.
Attachments
urb bug.zip
second bug on this level :(
(9.08 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
killerking

Post by killerking »

Does anyone actually care about fixing this?
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I'm sure A-Red cares about it for potential inclusion in a 1.1 release, however, he is on leave of absence currently and for the next month.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Graydon wrote:I'm sure A-Red cares about it for potential inclusion in a 1.1 release, however, he is on leave of absence currently and for the next month.
And I'm rarely on this site in any event. Just popping by to note that I've seen killerking's post, and I'll try to take care of it soon, when I'm active again.