hey punkuser

Talk about anything here.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: hey punkuser

Post by Pyro »

The community switched to marius when playmyth went down and never came back. I think Dac lost interest due to how much of a hassle it might be to actually get a server going.
zarkwar

Post by zarkwar »

I thought I'd have a shot at local server, easy to compile but you need to make a custom server plugin which I didn't know how to do and subsequently lost interest as well. :|
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

pretty sure someone posted details on how to create a custom server plugin on the forums within the past 6months-year. i didn't make one myself, but from the instructions it looked like if one was comfortable using a hex-editor and could follow instructions it wouldn't be very difficult (or at all).
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

I can make the plugin if needed. Just give me the info needed and any graphics you want to use for it. The graphics needed would be to replace the MariusNet button image in the login window. As for the info the address of the server which can be a url or an ip. Building the plugin is easy once having those two things.

You said local server... why local? You know you can host already in TCP games right? Just give your IP to people you want and they can join your game.
zarkwar

Post by zarkwar »

Because I've nowhere to host it and didn't know how to set it up and wanted to see it it was hard to get the thing working.
Vindicator

Post by Vindicator »

Hey thanks for the offer pyro, I will look into the costs of having it hosted someplace.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

If you have a static IP address (like some cable users do) you could host it yourself. I think I remember hearing that bungie.net used to be hosted on a 486.
Vindicator

Post by Vindicator »

I currently have DSL. I know GoDaddy has a lot of low cost hosting options.
Though I do allways keep my computer on...hmmm heh
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I wouldn't recommend goDaddy. they are adequate for domain name registrations, but my experience trying to use them as a webhost s00ked big time. their technical staff was _inept_ and that's me being complimentary - I knew more about webhosting then they did, and I didn't know much. everytime i called i had to get bumped up to a 2nd or 3rd level of support... it was really horrible.

when you are looking at hosting plans though - rememner that if you want a static IP that's going to cost you more than basic webhosting wherever you go - and as I understand it, having a static IP is the crucial part of players being able to use a plugin to connect to your server.

godaddy's VPS services start at $30/month, site5's (where mythgraveyard and orderofhpak websites have been hosted for years) starts at $40/month but site5 offers 100GB more bandwidth/month. and site5 doesn't suck at hosting. and their technical support staff is competent.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

You don't even need a static IP AFAIK. Dynamic DNS (see dyndns.com or others) should work fine as Myth will resolve domain names into IP addresses.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

suhweet, i did not know that.
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

Has the Mariusnet server source code been lost or is it under safekeeping? It always worked much so better than Bungie's server even after Blades tried to fix it up.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

The installer/executable is available from mariusnet stuff but I don't think they ever released their source.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

I have vague recollections of years back, Marius provided his source to someone in Magma - might have been Naeblis? - who tried to convert it from the language it was written in (Pascal/Delphi IIRC) to C++. I don't think it went anywhere, and I have no idea of what became of the code.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

i am sure connor or playatapus (sp) has a copy of the code so it's no doubt 'safe'.

given the malicious tendencies of some in the community, i can't imagine them wanting to release the source code to a server they are still trying to run.