!!! Tabletop Project !!!

Talk about anything here.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Gamer wrote:forget my last question. ive already done this.

:D

New Question: In Myth II there are tags for ranges and radius of attacks.
A bowman has attack range 20, a dwarf only 10... but what? ten what?

Whats the MEASURE UNIT for ranges in Myth II?

mfG
Gamer
All distances in Myth are measured in terms of a 'world unit'.

I am sure someone here must have some idea what a "world unit" corresponds to in real life measurement.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Gamer

Post by Gamer »

A bowman has the Range 20, but he cant shoot as far as 20 squares in Loathing, I think. (Were talking about the red squares with a cross in the middle!?)

Other problem with dwarf bottle explosions:

which tag is relevant :?:

Promoted on Detonation Fraction - This is the chance that a projectile will be promoted on detonation. 1.00 is every time, 0.00 is never.(proj.tag)

Normal Frequency - This is the chance that a projectile will detonate on contact with a non-media surface. 1.00 is every time, while 0.00 is never. (proj.tag)

from fear guide

Which units can block :?:

mfG
Gamer[/b]
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Gamer wrote:A bowman has the Range 20, but he cant shoot as far as 20 squares in Loathing, I think. (Were talking about the red squares with a cross in the middle!?)
I don't think a "world unit" is the same as a red square in loathing. "World Units" are a more abstract measurement that is used in the game engine to measure ranges of attacks and visibility and things like that, but I don't think it's actually visible as a measurable quantity anywhere in loathing.

(I could be completely wrong of course)
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

I think it IS the same as a red square in loathing. For example if you're using raise/flatten/whatever tool in loathing, it's radius is measured in units which are the same as red squares. And I'm pretty sure it is WU, because I was often measuring distances (for scripting) in my map using this tools and everything always worked fine.
Bladetooth

GURPS Myth

Post by Bladetooth »

There is an old GURPS book designed from the Myth universe, GURPS Myth, published in 1999. While it can be VERY useful as a guide, there are some very non-cannon elements to it. For instance, the Heron Guard entry describes a “fresh recruit” into the “new” Heron Guard, rather than a post-Journeyman Heron Guard’s expected figures. I was hoping to revise this book and make its numbers more “Myth like”, but I ran into a few things and tired of the project.

Bear with me, I’m trying to do all this from memory; just be sure there may be an issue where I say there is, even if it isn’t exactly as I write it.

1. Flinches
Flinches are very unusual in game systems whether they be computerized, tabletop RPG, or tabletop wargame. GURPS had no way to model these things particularly well. And yet, they are a very important element in how the game plays out. The closest things are stunning, which usually takes too long (but can be statistically similar over many attacks if it rarely happens), knockback, or knockdown (which is usually too severe a problem).

2. Damage
The way GURPS models damage (pre 4.0, I have no idea how modern GURPS does damage) makes it very difficult to integrate how Myth does damage. Passive Defense reduces your chance of getting hit. Shields in GURPS also provide a Passive Defense bonus; this complicates the defense values of a warrior. On top of that (and this may be where it becomes hard to implement Myth’s damage model), armor provided Damage Resistance, subtracting a specific amount from each attack. If I recall correctly, Myth kills a percentage of the damage from an attack. This radical difference is very hard to reconcile. Shields also provide an active block with the shield skill (more on that below).

3. Blocking
I made an effort to uncover how blocking works in Myth, and got some feedback to the effect that it is hard coded. I do not remember whether blocking effectiveness increases with vetting. Shields in GURPS provide a passive defense and also provide for an active block with the shield skill. For basic attacks (regular attacking would be a basic attack), the player always gets a chance to block; on a failed attempt to block, the passive defenses kick in. I found it very hard to determine how often a Myth warrior is likely to successfully block. Moreover, in most RPG systems, it would depend on who the opponent is (perhaps unlike Myth).

4. Experience (particularly with dwarves)
Dwarves are very problematic from an RPG perspective. On the one hand, they are very powerful and kill lots of things. On the other hand, they are also very vulnerable. So how do you evaluate experience for dwarves, if on paper they do so much damage and kill lots of monsters? I chose to decide that dwarves would get experience based on damage ONLY, and all the other PCs would get experience ONLY for finishing off an enemy. This would mean the dwarf player would (hopefully) prioritize damaging fresh units than stealing all the kills.

Myth is a great world for roleplaying in, because of its incredible story background. It is also great for tabletop war-gaming, because of its emphasis on tactics rather than strategy. With your efforts renewing my interest, perhaps we can be of help to each other.