sup play-myth

Talk about anything here.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Reference to "no MariusNet is up and running I don't feel so bad if I pull the plug so you guys can go play there" or something was up when the first announcement was made, but it was taken down.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Yarg....

So do most people just not know that mnet has the exact same capabilities as Pmnet?

Ive been following this moderatly moronic thread on the MWC site...

Stuff like, "ass players like Godcops will come back", or "Guest accounts make it so you can impersonate" and other crap like that.

Thats all nonsense...rar! I don't understand the oppositions!

-DA
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

My theory is that... part of it has to do with Mnet being gone for so long. People lost faith in it... or don't know its back again. Humans are creatures of habit, drawn to the safety of the familiar. And they might follow the majority. If and when more people go to Mnet... it will greatly increase the chances of people using Mnet more often than PMnet.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

MNet infact has more .commands than PMNet if I recall - it's superior in some ways.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

The Elfoid wrote:MNet infact has more .commands than PMNet if I recall - it's superior in some ways.
And ranked coop.

But that doesn't answer my question...
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Death's Avatar wrote:
The Elfoid wrote:MNet infact has more .commands than PMNet if I recall - it's superior in some ways.
And ranked coop.

But that doesn't answer my question...
I think there's several factors.

a) In general humans have a built in aversion to change. People are in the habit of using Playmyth, and some don't see any overriding need to switch servers.

b) The number of people playing on mariusnet hasn't yet reached critical mass to make it appealing to those who haven't yet switched, which makes it less likely for mariusnet to reach that magic number, which makes it less likely for people to switch to mariusnet... repeat ad infinitum...

c) There is a bug somewhere in the multiserver code that sometimes breaks things when switching back and forth between servers so if you are on a PC it can be a pain to switch back and forth between servers if you are wanting to frequent both servers till Mariusnet builds up a larger base of regular players.

d) Mariusnet admins were afk for several years so it was like the flying dutchman of myth game servers, or like that restaurant that is always closed - e.g. It will take people a while to get used to the idea that the ghost house has an active landlord who is fixing the place up.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Well I'm been switching on a daily basis and have yet encountered that server switching issue and I'm on a PC. How many people have encountered this issue? Did it happen more than one time for them afterwards?
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

To finally answer DA's question...

Most people I talk to about Marius haven't played on the server (marius' that is) before, some of them believe its inferior/unable to handle the strain of the community in full and thus is why playmyth is the server of choice.
I wear a plastic ass on my bag ~ Da Cheeze
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Baron LeDant wrote:To finally answer DA's question...

Most people I talk to about Marius haven't played on the server (marius' that is) before, some of them believe its inferior/unable to handle the strain of the community in full and thus is why playmyth is the server of choice.
So it IS misinformation...so how do we educate the kids?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Death's Avatar wrote:
Baron LeDant wrote:To finally answer DA's question...

So it IS misinformation...so how do we educate the kids?
Yah really - if Bungie.net was an old 486 machine (think someone rumored that?) then I am sure whatever mariusnet is running on is at LEAST as powerful as bnet. Maybe we can advertise mariusnet with a slogan along the lines of "Mariusnet - 10x powereful than bNet"
AblitERateOR

Post by AblitERateOR »

if b.net was a 486 that used barely any bandiwdth.. why couldnt they just have left it running :/
Mac OSX 1.4.9
Intel 1.83 Dual Core iMac
1GB RAM
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

EDIT:yarg. DA was not in a coherent state.

-DA
Last edited by Death's Avatar on Thu May 31, 2007 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
PrplPplEater

Post by PrplPplEater »

Real Life trumps anything to do with any game... always, forever; No Exceptions.

I say folks should let the man deal with the things he has to deal with.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

PrplPplEater wrote:Real Life trumps anything to do with any game... always, forever; No Exceptions.

I say folks should let the man deal with the things he has to deal with.
prplrppleater: Heartily agreed, Myth is after all just a game.

not to prplppleater: In my opinion, implying that Blades has some kind of "responsibility" to "the community" is just silly. Sure he's hosted (mostly out of his own pocket I imagine) and maintained a Myth game server and community web site for several years, and people have come to depend on it, but that doesn't mean he OWES, you, me or anyone else in the community individually or collectively ANYTHING AT ALL. The site and server are HIS and he can do what he wants with them, whenever he wants, with or without advance notice. Same for prplppleater with MythForums or mariusnet, and the hosts of projectmagma, the tain or any other myth site.

Better to appreciate the things people provide for the community while they are here - be they sites, servers, maps, tutorials, tournaments, mapmaking tools, or whatever - and miss them when they are gone, but understand that it's no one's "responsibility" to give us things for free, especially when those things require time, effort and financial expenditures on someone else's part.
PrplPplEater

Post by PrplPplEater »

Amen and thank you Vinyl.

I think back to the days of The Mill and how freaked out and pissed off everyone was that he tried to put Ad banners up self included)... man, we were freaking idiots back then, and I doubt much has changed since.

Learning to appreciate the things that are put in my life by others,
PPE ;)