Community shrinkage

Talk about anything here.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

The Elfoid wrote:NEW PLAYERS WILL NEVER COMPENSATE FOR COMMUNITY LOSS
We are aware that this is true at the moment. Especially with PMnet registration down. A large portion of the POINT is fixing this problem. Just a thought, just a thought.

-DA
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

The Elfoid wrote:I don't think new players are worth our time.
There's a positive outlook for you! :wink:
The cake is a lie.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

New players will not help while they are still new, but eventually some of them might become regular Mythers later on decreasing the shrinkage of the community. So they do matter for later if not for now. If we don't get them now... we won't have them later.
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

New and returning players - will for sure prolong life of ranked. Ranked ineed may fall someday ( who cares for points anyways ) but unranked = pure fun - and it shall survive.
elfoid wrote: I don't think new players are worth our time.
Would you like hear something like this back in 2004 when you found pm.net? I dont think so. I wouldnt, for sure. 90% of vaulable and cool Mythers I know and play with joined pm.net after me ( that mean after may 2004 ) in 2005, 2006 and some early 2007. I'm sure that more will come if they will only hace a chance to do it. E-mailing ex-mythers is funny idea, heh, its rather hard to force ppl to do things that they do not rly want to do anymore ( even if its playing Myth ) : P

Anyways close ranked, restore accounts creating machine ;) and Myth will not suffer from this action.

[/quote]
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

Its isnt so hard to become good ranked player - know someppl that play this game circa one year and are in top 20 ( if this mean anything )

Heh, and whats the definition of "regular Myther" ? I would say that is a person that plays Myth ( co-op, unrank, ranked, anything ) online not only during MWC and show up on server lil more often than once a year... skillz?... who cares...
Arthim

Post by Arthim »

In ressponse to the statement that new players are not worth our time, no mater how good bad or new they are, it is worth our time to help people get into myth. Keeping the community alive is a good cause, but it is not the only reason to bring new people into the fold.
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »

Trying to move everyone would cause loss of dedicated players and would be dramatically worse than getting those few players you'd gain from having registration, players that may quit within weeks.

At least, thats my opinion.

If you could augment the increase of new players, that would be great. It hasn't happened yet though.
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

Amadeus wrote:
Trying to move everyone would cause loss of dedicated players and would be dramatically worse than getting those few players you'd gain from having registration, players that may quit within weeks.

If you could augment the increase of new players, that would be great. It hasn't happened yet though.
I think that if some rly wants to play Myth it will not hasitate to make new account. Few players... hmmmm..... 10.000 people registered on pm.net since may 2004 - 20.000 since 2002. Yeah, I know that there was for sure some fake, or doubled (tripled etc) accounts, some guys didnt even play once on their account or logged in 2-3 times, some met "reg-FU-U-NEWB mythers ( not Mythers) left and never come back but... hey... its still nice bunch of player to play with.

So in theory we already lost circa 1 thousand "newcomers" since march/april? whateva 2007... : (
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »

Tireces wrote:
Amadeus wrote:

I think that if some rly wants to play Myth it will not hasitate to make new account. Few players... hmmmm..... 10.000 people registered on pm.net since may 2004 - 20.000 since 2002. Yeah, I know that there was for sure some fake, or doubled (tripled etc) accounts, some guys didnt even play once on their account or logged in 2-3 times, some met "reg-FU-U-NEWB mythers ( not Mythers) left and never come back but... hey... its still nice bunch of player to play with.

So in theory we already lost circa 1 thousand "newcomers" since march/april? whateva 2007... : (
I don' t think those are fair estimates - we probably don't get as many new comers in 2007 as we did in 2002 or 2004. Do you have numbers perhaps for registered accounts in 2006?
Anthson

Post by Anthson »

Why do people quote the post directly above them? Can't you just ... I dunno ... respond? I mean, especially when your post is 3 lines long and you're quoting 14 paragraphs. C'mon, now.
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

Seems logical to expect less and less newcomers every year - but I observed pm.net stats since 2004 and suprisingly flow of new account seemed to be quite constant for most of time - I could search some of my archive cd's and check for ID's and account creation dates of The Nine's clan members. I would shot that it was something like +/- 3000 account in 2006. Ill look for cd and post how close I was.

I often quote ppl couse some like to delete their stupid/rude/etc posts after I replay ;) Of course not talking about any1 right now - just "counsuetudo est altera natura " :D cheers
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »

That would fit for the numbers you gave, so saying 3333 which would be based just off a line between 2004 and 2007 thats like 278ish per month, if as you say its fairly constant.

That doesn't seem very accurate to me. If we had 278 new people per month we wouldn't be having this conversation. Even if it was 10% of that we wouldn't. I doubt its constant, but would be loved to be proved wrong. If it is constant though, then the numbers aren't very useful unless we know how many keep playing, which apparently is a very low percentage.
Last edited by Amadeus on Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Tireces wrote:Seems logical to expect less and less newcomers every year - but I observed pm.net stats since 2004 and suprisingly flow of new account seemed to be quite constant for most of time - I could search some of my archive cd's and check for ID's and account creation dates of The Nine's clan members. I would shot that it was something like +/- 3000 account in 2006. Ill look for cd and post how close I was.
This is of course unofficial, but someone told me they heard that over 400 people have registered on mariusnet since it went back up a few months ago and a few more people register every day.

Not astounding numbers, and I am sure lots of those are PM players making contingency plans, but for a server that people aren't going to switch to, that's not bad. Other than mwc I wouldn't have guessed there were even 400 active mythers on playmyth at all often.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

I just checked Myth forums Members List - exactly 60 users registered since 1 January 2007 - somthing like 50 since pm.net site is down.

That gives something like 40 ppl that play on pm.net now - ppl are just lazzy : (

Ah, and I am also not stunned by fact that pm.net had 3000 and mnet has 20 new players - even now when there is no choice - who wants to make an account on ghosts-town server ? : ( Thats why we should play some more on m.net and eventuraly move there if thing will not change in 1-2 months...
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »

I checked playmyth.net, 39 people registered from 3-01 to 3-29, including people who never ended up playing, dupes, and forum accounts. I can't sort out the rest of the information (which ones actually played a game, and which played one recently) with the site in the current state.