Myth 1.8 suggestions REVISITED

Talk about anything here.
adrenaline

Re: Myth 1.8 suggestions REVISITED

Post by adrenaline »

yikes... i'm wayyy to used to the way formations and presets work right now to support any change in that department!
browning

Post by browning »

adrenaline wrote:yikes... i'm wayyy to used to the way formations and presets work right now to support any change in that department!
If it can be done in the way I described it, it shouldn't affect you in any way. Just more flexibility for whoever wants to try it. I think I could become much more efficient with a new set up. Currently with more than 5 presets, I find that you either have to change your hand position or awkwardly stretch your hand to select the other presets. Clearly slower than just sliding your hand left or right to select presets by pressing a single #. It would also free up your thumb, and you could rest it on the scatter button or an attack cancelling button.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

This is basically already done in the way that you describe it in 1.8. There's an option for "alternate preset something" that works as follows when enabled:

1) Alt (mappable) + # to set preset (not held)
2) # to recall preset
3) "F" (mappable) and then # to set formation (you don't hold f, you press it once then press a # key)

We don't really want to introduce the complexity of making each unique formations key separately mappable, so this is really the best solution. It's quite usable as well - I've been getting used to in 1.8 and once I trained myself to press "f" before changing formations (which is obviously done less often than recalling presets), it's pretty slick.

If you want to give it a try we can probably add you as a 1.8 tester.
browning

Post by browning »

Basically, you recall presets with numbers and you press f-# to select a formation for the current preset. I think I might get used to that, I'd really like to give it a try.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

FYI the MWC12 poll thread about 1.8 Camera Zoom is here: http://mwc2012.proboards.com/index.cgi? ... thread=992
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Yeah, adren had already linked it in an earlier post.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

i dunno... i change formations almost as often as presets... not sure i'd enjoy hitting F every time... a mistroke would completely mess things up... like if u didnt press F hard enough, or missed it all together. I think that is a pretty drastic change.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

adrenaline wrote:i dunno... i change formations almost as often as presets... not sure i'd enjoy hitting F every time... a mistroke would completely mess things up... like if u didnt press F hard enough, or missed it all together. I think that is a pretty drastic change.
It's not a "change" it's an option... by default it's off an works the same way as today :) Only use it if you want it. As I mentioned you can of course map "F" and "Alt" to whatever you want.

This is really just for the people who want it to operate more like modern RTS games because they are used to it. I don't really expect a massive number of the competitive crowd to use it, but there's no harm in having it there for people that want it.
browning

Post by browning »

Ah, just another feature that could nicely complement the new optional preset system: while single tapping a # selects a preset, double tapping a # would center the camera on the preset you just selected, just like the default "h" button would do. Pretty standard in other RTS games. Doable?
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

that one is interest, browning...

and i get it now, thanks punk.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Sure definitely doable... presumably there's no reason why it shouldn't work while holding ALT with the original preset option too? Or do people bash the preset recall keys and this behavior would be jarring to them?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Browning, still have those issues?
browning wrote:I also have a few issues with Myth currently. I had to revert back to 1.7.1 because the newest version made my camera movement extremely choppy. Also, when I exit the Myth application, it remains active as a process and consistently crashes my Flash plugin in the browser. I have to manually terminate the process every time to avoid this.
Melekor wrote:Can you open up a thread in the tech support forum? Please post your OS and computer specs, and a copy of myth_log.txt after running a map.
browning

Post by browning »

punkUser wrote:Sure definitely doable... presumably there's no reason why it shouldn't work while holding ALT with the original preset option too? Or do people bash the preset recall keys and this behavior would be jarring to them?
Nice, I'm excited to try this. Should certainly work for the traditional preset system too.
Pyro wrote:Browning, still have those issues?
Yes, I stopped playing after MWC last year so I forgot follow up on this. Currently using 1.7.1 and it plays fine, didn't try 1.7.2 again.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Well it would be good to get that figured out or else you might run into the same issue for 1.8.0.
browning

Post by browning »

Works now.