Anyone who's made new unit sprites.. - ...for the myth 'verse... :nudges Iron:

Talk about anything here.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

A-Red wrote:The Great War beta can be found on this page. I found the link at maps.mything.org, which is ironic because usually i can't find links to anything there. The file you want is "TGW b7."

Clicking on the link just gives you a page with funny symbols. Try right-clicking and "save link as".

A-Red

EDIT: :does a double take: Ghost, did you just say you were finishing TGW?
"I found the link at maps.mything.org, which is ironic because usually i can't find links to anything there. "

[rant mode on]

Dude, like if you can't find links to anything, why go there?

On a serious note, if there's no link on the map atlas, it's because either no one has the map available for download, I haven't finished cataloging the download site yet, or I don't know where it's available. If YOU know somewhere a map can be downloaded or have some info not on the map atlas - help out your fellow mythers and fill out the feedback form on the map page(s) so I can add the info to the atlas. I'll even give you credit.

Also, sorry you can't find anything there, I know there ARE around 300 maps and plugins on the site without working links but there are over 1200 maps and plugins WITH working/active links. That's not 1200 links total, because some maps have 3-4 active links, that's 1200 maps and plugins with at least one active working link.

[rant mode off]
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

In many cases it's not that there isn't a link, but rather that the link isn't very helpful. In some cases it links to the udogs maps page, but even when i look for where the file ought to be (by virtue of alphabetical order) I can't find it because either its filename is not the same as the name of the actual plug or it just plain isn't there. And then there are things like Polycon, where the map atlas links me to playmyth, which in turn links me to the ancient Polycon homepage, which in turn tries to link me to The Mill.

I don't mean to be rude; I know the people who maintain the map atlas do the best they can. But perhaps a system of direct links to files might work better than links to pages?

Back to the subject of this thread--I swear I've seen a four-armed fetch priestess unit somewhere, but I don't know where, or who made it. Anybody know anything about that?

A-Red
Welly

Post by Welly »

vinylrake wrote:I don't have any easy way of seperating "myth-universe-appropriate" from the others but would a general list of units that use non-bungie-standard collections (bit maps) be of any use? [It would include things you don't want, like WWII and Leggo and Wild West, ADT, etc]
Any updates on this one Vinyl?
Welly

Post by Welly »

carlinho wrote:I did new units from scratch for 2 plugins:

ancient greece tagset (at the package.net)

Isle of storms (www.carlinho7.tripod.com)
I checked out the Isle of Storms in Amber (not much time for playing even a single level solo straight through this month) and I have to say your units are perfectly rendered.. this thread has really shown me some of the great work of the creative community here. Great work carlin!

I'm downloading the Greece tagset now, will take a look in a bit. Though your work is in a different category than the stuff I'm listing currently, it makes me giddy to be informed of cool stuff like this that I might not have heard about otherwise (where art though Mill??).

Thanks guys for the Dreamseedz heads up too. That one seems particularly hard to find, and my Worlds CD is in transit from out of state.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Welly wrote:
vinylrake wrote:I don't have any easy way of seperating "myth-universe-appropriate" from the others but would a general list of units that use non-bungie-standard collections (bit maps) be of any use? [It would include things you don't want, like WWII and Leggo and Wild West, ADT, etc]
Any updates on this one Vinyl?
Yeah, I can get you a list of units pretty easily, I just need to tweak a couple of things to narrow it down to "new" units (instead of listing new AND modified units) and then get it into some kind of readable format.

I'll try to work on it in the next couple of days.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

In many cases it's not that there isn't a link, but rather that the link isn't very helpful. In some cases it links to the udogs maps page, but even when i look for where the file ought to be (by virtue of alphabetical order) I can't find it because either its filename is not the same as the name of the actual plug or it just plain isn't there.

udogs is a tricky site, for example they have at least 2-3 seperate places where maps for individual games are located, if you add in that they have both web servers and hotline servers things get a little dicey.

I think some of the confusion might be that some of the links are too specific - e.g. I just found the mapatlas polycon link to udogs points to the SB "maps plugins and conversions" folder, but the file itself is actually in the Tain Archive folder. doh! I'll fix that.

Please, if you find a map that just doesn't exist where the atlas says it does fill out that form on the map page - it takes 2 seconds - all you need to do is type "broken playmyth download link" or "udogs - map missing" and click the send button and I'll check it out. The maps were all there when they were added to the atlas, but there's no way to keep track of 1500 maps and plugins scattered on more than a dozen sites or to know when one is moved or deleted.

And then there are things like Polycon, where the map atlas links me to playmyth, which in turn links me to the ancient Polycon homepage, which in turn tries to link me to The Mill.

Thanks for the info, I fixed that (and added udogs link)

I don't mean to be rude; I know the people who maintain the map atlas do the best they can. But perhaps a system of direct links to files might work better than links to pages?

Heh. "people who maintain the map atlas"? You're talking to the entire "staff" right here.

I agree a system of direct links to files would be more convenient for people looking for downloads than links to download sections of websites or hotline servers - but as soon as a file got renamed or moved the link would be broken. That's bound to happen more often than an entire site going down, so that was the tradeoff I had to weigh, putting in specific more easily broken links to individual files or putting in more generic links that would over time allow more of the links to remain current.

As for the download file names being different than the map name I agree that's kind of a pain when they aren't close. Storing the actual download names is hard to maintain because different sites have different zip/stuffit file names.

TFL maps often have download-names which are nothing like the map-name itself so I've actually been adding in the actual plugin names (or .gor names) for tfl (and some) SB maps.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll think about the direct linking issue a bit more and see if there is anything else I could do to make the links more specific without involving hundreds of hours of my time. I have a couple of ideas I'll check out.

Thanks again for the feedback.

--------------

To make this more on-topic -

Taliesen Downs has a fetch priestess - though I don't know how many arms she has.
Welly

Post by Welly »

vinylrake wrote:Taliesen Downs has a fetch priestess - though I don't know how many arms she has.
A-red and vinyl:

A-red, yes now I recall the same thing, a 4-armed fetch.

I remember being newbishly wierded out by it, but of course now I want to track it down and figure out what other sweet stuff is on it for my list.

Vinyl!
1. I do have the Taliesen Downs fetch priestess, it's actually another different Fetch unit, she's wearing a dress and carries a wand/scepter in this unit's collection. So I'm still gonna track down the 4-armed one, and something tells me it's on the archive that's on the way to my place in early October that Doobie is also waiting for stuff on.

2. Thanks for that list, whenever it's ready... in return, I'll write up descriptions of the files I'm rummaging through on the Atlas (for those which don't have descriptions already). It may take a bit but I'll contribute as much as I can.

So if anyone finds Dreamseedz and / or this 4-armed Fetch would you reply here? if they don't turn up, but it shows up in my archive-in-transit, I'll post here myself of course.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Welly wrote:2. Thanks for that list, whenever it's ready... in return, I'll write up descriptions of the files I'm rummaging through on the Atlas (for those which don't have descriptions already). It may take a bit but I'll contribute as much as I can.

Thanks, I appreciate the offer - if you'd rather just write things in one document instead of going to indivual map pages feel free to email me any info you have to [email]vinylrake@yahoo.com.[/email]
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

ok, I came up with a rough list of 5700 units that use collections other than the standard Bungie unit collections.

caveat: caveat:

1) I didn't exclude duplicates from the list because two mapmakers could have used the same collection reference tag for different new originals. Or two mapmakers could have created different original versions of the same unit (e.g. myrmidons, forest giants, etc) that both use the same collection reference tag-name. If that doesn't make any sense, don't worry about it - just trust me there is a reason why duplicates are in this list.

2) In the case of a unit tagset, standard bungie unit names will be listed because the plugin keeps the same units but overrides the familiar bungie standard collections with a (presumably) new collection.

Also, sometimes a plugin gets listed twice (like the Star Trek one at the beginning of the list) so there aren't really 5700 "new" units, probably only 2500 or so new and unique units.

Oh right, almost forgot the link - it's here.
Welly

Post by Welly »

By Wyrd vinyl thanks for that list... it's less daunting for me because I've listed a few of the big ones already.

Boy this will be fun... I got dreamseedz all catalogued (thank you a-red), just waitin around for my archive in the mail, and the time to flip through your giant list to make some heads and tails of its finer points. The hardest part will be finding all the plugs with units that are outside of my criteria (likely the vast majority of them)...

Sometime after this weekend I'll post what I've got so far, hopefully some folks will peruse it and add stuff that I've missed.

again vinyl: thanks a million.. my work has just begun, lol :roll:
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

carlinho wrote:Isle of storms (www.carlinho7.tripod.com)

Is this one available anywhere? That tripod page doesn't exist anymore it seems.

Edited By iron on 1127886437
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Floyd is Pink

Post by Floyd is Pink »

oo im interested in this 4-armed fetch. infrom the forum if u find it
the longer you hold it, the warmer it gets.
Welly

Post by Welly »

iron wrote:
carlinho wrote:Isle of storms (www.carlinho7.tripod.com)

Is this one available anywhere? That tripod page doesn't exist anymore it seems.

I got mine from just http://carlinho7.tripod.com/. The "WWW" was added by default or accident it seems.

While I gotcha Iron, would this be your complete list of the Hi-Res units you've made?

Ghol
Wight
Shade
Trow
Heron Guard
Mortar Dwarf
Fetch
Jman

Floyd is Pink @ Sep. 28 2005,06:46
oo im interested in this 4-armed fetch. infrom the forum if u find it

Believe me, when I find out, I'll post the filename here. I don't abandon my threads :roll: But it might happen that someone else finds it out first, in which case, I urge you, o unknown future person, to post here as well.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

vinylrake wrote:ok, I came up with a rough list of 5700 units that use collections other than the standard Bungie unit collections.

Oh right, almost forgot the link - it's here.

That's pretty awesome! Did you use a particular archive of plugins to compile this list, and if so, where is it? There are a few plugins in there--Roland's Dream, shalome.beta, and The Might of the Living Dead--that sound particularly interesting, but I've never even heard of them before and they aren't on the Map Atlas or udogs.

A-Red