sup play-myth

Talk about anything here.
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

while i agree that Blades doesn't owe us anything, it sure would be nice if he could cooperate with getting the word out about mnet rather than let the community suffer. I mean, it's not like adding an extra sentence with a link is gonna take any more time when he puts up news posts.

As for that Ad stuff with the mill, I still think that was a really bad move. The people that submitted those maps did so on the premise that the site was non-profit and ad free. changing things in the middle of it's lifespan was a really shady thing to do. What's shadier is that the administrators REFUSED to take down the creations of people who requested them removed and instead left their creations up and changed the author name. Pretty despicable if you ask me.
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
PrplPplEater

Post by PrplPplEater »

By the time that stuff transpired though, there was a lot of despicale behavior all around to be shared by all.

Also, I can't recall where non-profit should mean "completely out of pocket with no hope of ever breaking even". As some of you know, running this type of stuff is not cheap by any means and the bandwidth costs for that place that many years ago had to have been painful as hell to say the least. For us all to have whined the way he did when all he tried to do was defer costs is shameful. Was he trying to turn it into a proftable venture? Probably... but to deny him even the opportunity to cover his expenses was pathetic of us.
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

No, what was pathetic was ignoring the wishes of the people that created the content that gave his website any value in the first place.

What was pathetic was removing their credit for their creations and replacing their name with "Some Moron" in response to a polite level headed request that his creations be removed. Not once did magma or this individual resort to name calling or any other offensive behavior at that point.

While I wouldn't deny anyone the chance to recoup some of their losses, there was never any statement that he was not trying to turn it into a for-profit venture, and understandably, some people felt uncomfortable with the idea of people making money off of their creations. What made it shameful was the response from the administration.
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
PrplPplEater

Post by PrplPplEater »

Fair points, can't argue them. There is no way that the Mill administration did not carry at minimum equal fault in all of it. My only point is that it was handled equally poorly all around and to even contemplate hinting that the creators of content were completely without fault in the poor behavior department is completely absurd. There was enough jack-asses to go around a few times. Were there exceptions? I'm certain there was, but my recollections are that initially, ads appeared and the Mill was up front about them and about their reason for being there..... and everyone freaked out (again, self included) and started yanking their stuff down.

From there, it degenerated rapidly on every conceivable front.
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

PrplPplEater wrote:From there, it degenerated rapidly on every conceivable front.
Yeah, public relations is a funny beast. Turns out if you act like an asshole, people will treat you like one, who'd a thunk it? ;)
KyleMaclean.net
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

PrplPplEater wrote:Fair points, can't argue them. There is no way that the Mill administration did not carry at minimum equal fault in all of it. My only point is that it was handled equally poorly all around and to even contemplate hinting that the creators of content were completely without fault in the poor behavior department is completely absurd. There was enough jack-asses to go around a few times. Were there exceptions? I'm certain there was, but my recollections are that initially, ads appeared and the Mill was up front about them and about their reason for being there..... and everyone freaked out (again, self included) and started yanking their stuff down.

From there, it degenerated rapidly on every conceivable front.
To be fair, of course you are right, there are 2 sides to every story, and certainly i personally witnessed some authors acting like real jerks, but the fact that they were all painted with the same brush by the administration was very unfortunate.
KyleMaclean.net
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Doobie wrote:[To be fair, of course you are right, there are 2 sides to every story, and certainly i personally witnessed some authors acting like real jerks, but the fact that they were all painted with the same brush by the administration was very unfortunate.
As noted there's always plenty of candidates for "rude ass of the year" when looking back at these kinds of events, but what torqued me off at the time - much more than the author's or the mill admin's actions was how so many people just piled on to criticize one person or the other, talking out their asses about things they didn't know anything about and just flaming anyone who disagreed with them.

Whenever you have creative type people "competing" with each other for prizes, audience appreciation, accolades, or just acceptance there's going to be plenty of boorish behavior and lashing out all around.

Here's to hoping the current crop of sites and individuals can get along better than all those factions and egos did in times past.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

cheers to that...
the last thing we need is to bring down the house (or what's left of it) down in flames fighting with each other
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Ugh...sorry everyone
Last edited by Death's Avatar on Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

-- edited to remove comments related to a post that has been gracefully retracted --

Want to spread the word about mariusnet? Change your username to 'play myth @ mariusnet.com' or 'go to mariusnet.com' if the other is too long, and leave your machine logged onto Playmyth when you are AFK.
Last edited by vinylrake on Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Horus

Post by Horus »

Current News Update.
News Update:
May 30, 2007
Something must be going on because I've been inundated with emails regarding the status of PlayMyth.net. I need to be forthright and honest about the state of things here. The facts of the matter are that I've just been through a bitter divorce, I am not a single father with a seven year old child to raise and I just do not have the frivolous time that I once enjoyed.

That said, the next week will see several things happen:

A web site will return that will feature a fairly simple design
The forum will return complete with all the posts from the day the original site died.
New users will be able to register for ranked accounts.
The administrative ability of this site is going to be limited at first - so there's going to be an honor system in place. If you all become assholes and make it so that I start getting a lot of "so and so is duping during MWC" emails - I'm going to pull the plug and walk away. I will be adding to the site and administrative stuff over time, but I don't have the time to do it right now.

I am going to be gone 12 of the next 20 days in Vegas, Tahoe, and Pennsylvania so this will have to be done by the end of next week in order for it to really ever get done.

Please stop with the emails trying to get me to do things that right now I really don't have the patience for. I've heard your emails, I've heard your wishes, and I'll do what I can. I'm sorry it is this way - but I'm not the one who decided to hack the old web site to shit requiring me to take it offline.
Point

seems like

Post by Point »

seems like no matter what happens playmyth will be down for a bit longer and will likely go down at the next sign of trouble ...

and it doesnt look like the blue bar is going to change...

so stand up and tell people to switch...
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

But since Blades announced that playmyth will be accepting new registrations as of next week, the whole topic of switching over to Marius has died everywhere but here.

Put simply, most people will be on playmyth until it goes poof
I wear a plastic ass on my bag ~ Da Cheeze
RPatrick

Post by RPatrick »

You've got the Playmyth administrator threatening to pull the plug at the first sign of trouble, and you've got the Mariusnet administrator pledging that the server will be fully supported for many, many years. Additionally, I've noticed Purple People Eater is still an active member of the community.

The choice seems so obvious.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Also there now seems to be a permanent bunch of people playing on mnet. There's 20 there now as I post this. I wouldn't say the switching issue's dead just yet.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder