What color is Maeldun's cloak? - In your opinion

Talk about anything here.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Maeldun is the guy on the right of the first picture, the still from a pregame of whatever it was. Murgen is probably the guy on the right of the screenshot from the TFL opening movie. Get your head in the game wallet.

-DA
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Death's Avatar wrote:Maeldun is the guy on the right of the first picture, the still from a pregame of whatever it was. Murgen is probably the guy on the right of the screenshot from the TFL opening movie. Get your head in the game wallet.

-DA
Well I diagree that in the intro that is Murgen... the one in red. Since in TFL all we see is Alric in game and in pregame pics. I still strongly believe that the pic with Rabican, Murgen, and Maeldun... its Alric in the center... the narrator never said... THESE are Rabican, Murgen, and Maeldun. Don't you think it's easier to just draw Alric again rather than come up with a new image? And as for the agrument about the Avatara's hat in the center being shorter than Alric's... is it too hard to believe Alric can tilt his head slightly back? At any rate... Maeldun has been decided by the majority of the community that is the Avatara at the right with the staff.
Horus

Post by Horus »

"The cities of Scales, Covenant and Tyr have all fallen to him in the last three weeks. It seems that too many years of peace have softened the once legendary armies of the West. Rabican, Murgen and Maeldun have been dead sixty years, and today only Alric remains of the great leaders who defeated the Fallen Lords."

Mentioned in specific order, whilst the picture was on the screen.

See http://myth.bungie.org/legends/journal/js09_gate_storms.html
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Horus â„¢ wrote:"The cities of Scales, Covenant and Tyr have all fallen to him in the last three weeks. It seems that too many years of peace have softened the once legendary armies of the West. Rabican, Murgen and Maeldun have been dead sixty years, and today only Alric remains of the great leaders who defeated the Fallen Lords."

Mentioned in specific order, whilst the picture was on the screen.

See http://myth.bungie.org/legends/journal/js09_gate_storms.html
How many times have people not understood what I meant on this subject alone? Yes I know what happened and I know what it said and when it was said... but pregame pics have been known to be wrong sometimes (look at the whole Watcher's arm situation). You said it yourself Horus... when people think of Avatara they think of TFL Alric. It's not hard to imagine that Murgen might have a similar clothing style as Alric but does it really have to be that close?
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

"Maeldun has been decided by the majority of the community that is the Avatara at the right with the staff."

Yes but it's not a democracy and a bunch of people 'agreeing' won't make it some kind of Testament!
It doesn't really bother me because I don't make maps anymore so it won't affect any stories I don't come up with - but the guy in the middle is sufficiently different looking (for me) to be 'not Alric'. Besides they got Rabican right, who's to say that the picture isn't those 3 guys (in order)?
---
Uh what the hell? I just watched the pregame and it said the guy on the right was Maeldun? HAHAHA, boy did I fuck this up.
---

Looks like I agree after all, I just got the names in the wrong order.

But I stand by what I said because it's still valid, just not in this example. For instance, if someone makes a campaign that fills in other members of the Nine and I think the new material sucks, I wouldn't hesitate to simply ignore it and make up my own alternatives.

Rock on!
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
floyd

Post by floyd »

completely agree with william on ignoring following peoples' made up nine. (the missing 4) people coming up with terrible names and all that junk
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

completely agree with william on ignoring following peoples' made up nine. (the missing 4) people coming up with terrible names and all that junk

Are there any names you would suggest, Floyd, or were you just stating your thoughts? Don't worry I'm sure those people are not trying to write additions to the accepted Myth history (and yes you know this so no point in saying "yes i know that Pyro")... they're simply trying to create some entertaining stories/plugins about the unknown Avatara.

Yes but it's not a democracy and a bunch of people 'agreeing' won't make it some kind of Testament!

I never meant to say that JUST cuz a bunch of people said one thing or another that I would JUST accept it, but am more inclinded to agree with the opinions people have been giving on the subject. Is it so hard to believe that maybe JUST maybe I agree with what other people said... specifically the people who agreed that Maeldun is the Avatara with the staff? If the M2 narrator said it was Maeldun and it was just reinforced by many others here... and I agree as well... I see nothing about making it some kind of 'Testament!'

For instance, if someone makes a campaign that fills in other members of the Nine and I think the new material sucks, I wouldn't hesitate to simply ignore it and make up my own alternatives.

Well who wouldn't just ignore it? (It was a rhetorical question... just incase some people want to agrue... because they didn't bother to understand a simple opinion.) :D Furthermore... there is no point in saying that, WW! And before you or someone else goes about and tries to explain the purpose you had in mind when typing that... shh! :p The reason there is no purpose is that we all do that... or many of us. I feel I have to cover all bases or else somebody will try to correct me when there is no such correction... how can you correct an opinion? (rhetorical again)

Uh what the hell?"

Are you always confusing yourself WW? :p

And here is what I dugged up about images of Alric in TFL... Which is why I just think that the "Murgen" image we see is just another copy of TFL Alric in which they don't have to make a whole new looking image for Murgen. And as for the arguement that he still looks different... well look at the images.. they all look different but is stated that they are all Alric.

ImageImage
ImageImage

:0 Is it possible that maybe Pyro has a valid point? :lol:
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Pyro wrote: Yes I know what happened and I know what it said and when it was said... but pregame pics have been known to be wrong sometimes (look at the whole Watcher's arm situation). You said it yourself Horus... when people think of Avatara they think of TFL Alric. It's not hard to imagine that Murgen might have a similar clothing style as Alric but does it really have to be that close?
Waiiit. Now I agree that it looks like Alric, and that it could have just been Bungie being lazy, but you can't just discredit it like that. Being pretty much the only reference we have to other Avatara, it is definitely worth something. I mean sure, you can believe whatever you want, but I think it is clearly stated that the man in the middle is Murgen.

-DA
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Not to worry Pyro, I realised my initial error, you were right to call this new thing "Maeldun".

However I still reckon it's not Alric in the middle. The artist in this case was pretty familiar with Myth (it's Ramirez, is it not?) and clearly knew what he was doing since he put Rabican on the left.

"And here is what I dugged up about images of Alric in TFL..."

It's true that they differ - however, a different artist worked on these unused pregames, did they not?

"completely agree with william on ignoring following peoples' made up nine. (the missing 4) people coming up with terrible names and all that junk"

Now now Floyd, don't be so comfortably numb. They aren't junk *just* because us fans thought 'em up! I would more or less assess these things on a case by case basis - they could be really good, ya never know.

"specifically the people who agreed that Maeldun is the Avatara with the staff?"

Nah I agree with that entirely, I just forgot the order in which the names were read because I haven't played M2 in a while.

"Are you always confusing yourself WW?"

Confusion is a rare beast, for me. What you were reading was a sudden revelation because I happened to be playing Gate of Storms when writing that post. :D
floyd

Post by floyd »

lol i would be completely fine with people making good 'nine' members, but i was just saying i'd be pissed if someone made a nine named James and put him in the collection of a brigand and called him an official missing nine.

and my post wasnt pointing out about maeldun's unit, pyro, cuz i really like it.

as for the picture of murgen, the middle could be alric, and ive thought so for a long time, but looking at the new pictures you dug up, (assuming theyre dug out from bungie) they all look the same to eachother, but looks a bit different from the guy in the middle. the guy between rabican and maeldun has little shoulder pads while none of the pictures of alric ive seen does.

but anyways keep up the good work pyro
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Guys this really isn't that hard to figure out:

"The cities of Scales, Covenant and Tyr have all fallen to him in the last three weeks. It seems that too many years of peace have softened the once legendary armies of the West. Rabican, Murgen and Maeldun have been dead sixty years, and today only Alric remains of the great leaders who defeated the Fallen Lords."

Rabican, Murgen and Maeldun

The pic came up right as the narrator starting saying the names. Rabican left, Murgen middle, Maeldun right. End of story.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Godzfire it's true, it isn't hard to figure out... and besides we all know what the narration had said... even William corrected himself.

Floyd, yes there are differences between the TFL Alric drawings and the Gate of Storms pregame image... but incase people haven't noticed... none of the M2 images look like the same style as the TFL drawings. Just look at them. The Gate of Storm pregame pic looks more... umm detailed? compared to the TFL drawings.

Willam Wallet, I am not saying it is Alric in the middle but that it looks just like Alric. That Bungie either was being lazy or maybe plans changed on the narration. Just cuz an artist knows Myth very well doesn't mean he/she can draw a perfect representation of a character of Myth. Look at all the drawings for Soulblighter, all of them have the basic idea but are different on the details... and therefore there are some Soulblighter pics I think suit him better than others.

DA, I don't mean to discredit Bungie's drawing of Murgen... just trying to open people's eyes and not have them just assume that Murgen looks just about the same as TFL Alric. If someone were to create a Murgen unit... I would hope they don't just copy the TFL Alric. For example, if somebody were to port the Myth3 Avatara... to be Murgen... I think that would be great... although it has a lot of similar details as good old TFL Alric it is distinctly different.
Horus

Post by Horus »

BTW I might note that "Murgen" has a what seems to be claw made scar traveling from above his left eye to just below it (his left not our left).

Methinks Alric and Murgen just like to wear "official" Avatara clothing, while Rabican wanted practical and intimidating, and Maeldun went for mysterious and intimidating.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Horus â„¢ wrote:BTW I might note that "Murgen" has a what seems to be claw made scar traveling from above his left eye to just below it (his left not our left).

Methinks Alric and Murgen just like to wear "official" Avatara clothing, while Rabican wanted practical and intimidating, and Maeldun went for mysterious and intimidating.
Well I thought that was the face paint that Alric seems to wear for some reason or another back in TFL. Look at the intro cutscene and his portrait image as well. But I would like to think that it is the standard Avatara robe.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

I've just had an astonishing revelation (again).

Perhaps it is Rabican and Maeldun, left and right. Yet just after this, the narrator says "today only Alric remains of those who yada yada..."

Perhaps Alric is in the middle because he's the only one left?

This is vague reasoning and I don't actually agree with it, I prefer to think it's Murgen in the middle. However, it's a possibility.