Movement at the station

Talk about anything here.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

why me? did they put some of my "Zeph new bungie maps" in there?
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

From what I've read on TWS and talking to other players, a lot are interested in 1.7. I know 1.5.1 and 1.6 were released without much fuss but for some reason people really want a patch right now.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

I think one reason is that previously some people had a bad perception of Magma - that we're sabotaging the good old myth, etc.

I think that perception is no longer there (or at least is there to a much smaller extent), in part probably because most people were happy with the 1.6 update and realized that our goal is to make Myth better, and not some crazy conspiracy to sabotage the game.

Plus I think 1.7 has been hyped a lot, and it's been a while since the 1.6 update, so people are anxious to get their hands on it.

Which puts more pressure on us to deliver it on time (before MWC), and to not screw it up. ;)
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

The Elfoid wrote:From what I've read on TWS and talking to other players, a lot are interested in 1.7.
I can't find much on the subject, is there a certain thread or series of posts you are referring to?
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Myrd wrote:I think one reason is that previously some people had a bad perception of Magma - that we're sabotaging the good old myth, etc.

I think that perception is no longer there (or at least is there to a much smaller extent), in part probably because most people were happy with the 1.6 update and realized that our goal is to make Myth better, and not some crazy conspiracy to sabotage the game.

Plus I think 1.7 has been hyped a lot, and it's been a while since the 1.6 update, so people are anxious to get their hands on it.

Which puts more pressure on us to deliver it on time (before MWC), and to not screw it up. ;)
Most of the players I talk to didn't know 1.7 was happening at all actually. But got excited when I mentioned anything that was changing (Oak especially).

And yeah, the 1.6 update was one of the smoothest releases I've seen for a patch.

I believe part of why you're "off the hook" is previously Magma were always considered "MariusNet people". Instantly meaning you got a reputation as being sappy, over-obsessed with following strict rules and not very competitive Mythers. This reputation vanished when people switched to MariusNet and fell in love with the place again. The MNA's not so popular in some circles now (the whole "OM and PPE want to ban everyone and ruin Myth" thing that's going on) but now people no longer connect you with MNet so much. Also a lot of people thought patches being official had something to do with Blades (seen as a "myth official" by many of the masses - just like I saw a post the other day saying OM is part of the "myth administration"), which put them off. Now no one's gonna accidentally think that.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

I think you and saint could start a well informed club.
qwarqwa

Post by qwarqwa »

put shaders in it lol
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Death's Avatar wrote:I think you and saint could start a well informed club.
I really, really hate that comparison :(

Saint just reminds me completely of who I was 2004-05. And I don't know, when you grow up you always look back and think "was I really like that?".
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

The Elfoid wrote: I really, really hate that comparison :(

Saint just reminds me completely of who I was 2004-05. And I don't know, when you grow up you always look back and think "was I really like that?".
Or maybe "am I really like that?"

That link included with your Oak post on the TWS09 forum wasn't so smooth man. You should know better. :(
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I guess there's not much point removing it now. I only posted it since it's in Melkor's profile. If anyone looks at any of his posts and clicks that 'www' button it takes you there. That's how I found it....didn't think it would be private if it's in a public link like that - I've not really discussed Oak with anyone on this side of the fence at all. All I know about it I got from clicking a public link and nothing within mentions it as being private. It's just....a page.

People were going on about how we should update Myth's graphics on that forum, I figured they'd like to hear something's being done to make things look prettier. If I'd known anyone would have a problem with it, I wouldn't have done. But you know, I signed up as a beta tester for TFV (which I've played but never gave feedback on, I just never found the time to dedicate to searching it for bugs) - that required validation of a usergroup on the forums and then a password to the uDogs folder. A link posted publicly by the creator alongside over 150 forum posts isn't what I call private. Nonetheless, Pyro's PM'd me about it too so I apologise for any distress caused.
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

You can't fault Elfie for posting a link that he got from hittin the "www" link in Melekor's posts. That would obviously be Melekor's fault if that's the way it happened... fewlish. Go berate him.

[edit] misspelled Melekor[/edit] (oops, several times. But my wrist is broken, makes it tough to type.)
Last edited by Frumius on Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Elf it isn't that anyone is really upset about it. At first we didn't know how you came to find the link... until you explained. Melekor had completely forgotten about that link. Since at the time he placed it there, Oak wasn't even a beta to test. So when it came time to test it, he had forgotten about that link.

It wasn't "just a page", it had the download for the Oak beta. Betas have issues at times. Some of the past betas had certain issues that would cause you to lose certain tags. So if some random user tried to use such a beta and didn't make a backup of their local folder, they could have lost files and would have been upset.

At any rate it doesn't matter, now.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Pyro wrote:It wasn't "just a page", it had the download for the Oak beta. Betas have issues at times. Some of the past betas had certain issues that would cause you to lose certain tags. So if some random user tried to use such a beta and didn't make a backup of their local folder, they could have lost files and would have been upset.

At any rate it doesn't matter, now.
If something carries a beta tag, that's a warning for people ;)
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

The Elfoid wrote:If something carries a beta tag, that's a warning for people
Noobs exist. Besides, if someone tried a beta and it didn't work right, they might not be so inclined to try it again once its final and stable.

I mean there have been lots of players with old 1.6 builds. They hadn't noticed they were outdated and therefore would have issues on some maps. If people can't even keep track of what version of Myth 2 they should be running, imagine some mapmaking tool. They won't need Oak anyways, all they will need is 1.7 to have those fancier maps.