Two more questions - Me and my questions

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Cubic Circle

Post by Cubic Circle »

What happens if a netflag is made destructable?
Playing capture the flag, and blowing the thing up!
Seriously, what would happen?

Also, if two units have Morale boosting attributes, what happens then?
Let's say one has an experience bonus of 1, and the other has one of 2... will units close to them fight as if they have three kills? Or two? Or what?
Jinsei wa geemu da
Phex

Post by Phex »

What happens if a netflag is made destructable?
Playing capture the flag, and blowing the thing up!
Seriously, what would happen?

I cant help you here, try it out.

Also, if two units have Morale boosting attributes, what happens then?
Let's say one has an experience bonus of 1, and the other has one of 2... will units close to them fight as if they have three kills? Or two? Or what?

As far as I know moral bonuses are accumulative. There are more questions and answers about morale in this thread.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

so if morale is cummulative that means that let's say you give morale points of 1 to all of your 10 units:
then the closer they fight the higher the morale will be: if all fight together you'll have a 10 point morale bonus....

this could be really good to create a formation fighting technique....
that could make units stronger ifg they fight together...good for my greek hoplite soldiers...

or it doesn't work like that?

:p
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Phex

Post by Phex »

theoretically yes.

On the other hand, I dont know how many "morale spheres" are actually calculated. i.e. when there are 200 units with morale that stand so close toghether that they would affect each other, there might be a limit that calculates only - for example - the 20 closest "morale spheres" for each unit. But I am absolutely not sure about this.

Maybe one of the developers can tell me?

Morale can also easily result in units being too strong. As you say, when there are 10 units affecting each other, every units acts as a 10-kill-vet which is usually REALLY good. You could also enable a "-1 morale for enemy units" which would balance the battle if two parties with similar strength fought against each other. But as soon one party outnumbers the other, its units will become a lot stronger, leaving the weaker team no chance. I have experimented with such moral systems but did not come to any satisfying result except to reduce morale bonuses for special units. Nevertheless it could work perfectly for your project :;):
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

carlinho, it could well work like that. I'm not sure whether it'd cause CPU lag or not with so many units affecting and being affected by morale, but experimentation would tell you :)

OTOH I'd suggest getting the gameplay as good as possible without using morale before introducing it and seeing what effect it had.

For instance with your spear-wielding hoplites, I'd imagine they can attack from quite a long distance? If so then having them in formation means they can all hit an enemy before the enemy gets close enough to strike back, even if the enemy's attack is faster & deadlier. Once the hoplites are spread out though they'd become easy pickings. Kind of like the soldiers in B&G - if in a loose line cavalry can cut them down easily, but in a tight bunch they can usually survive.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

hey guys thanks a lot!!!!!!!!
I'll experiment hehe I like that, and never thought of morale this way, it's really interesting!
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

Another thing to keep in mind, is most units stop vetting after 5 kills, so unless you increase their max vetting value, you won't see any improvement past 5 kills.
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
Phex

Post by Phex »

Moral effects ignore the 5-kill-limit.

In fact, its also possible to make units act as negative veterans* with -2 kills or whatever.

*stupid word, meaning worser than normal units.