Correct rendering angle and FOV - what izzzzz it?

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
ozone

Post by ozone »

anyone know what the best rendering angles and FOV are for doing myth scenery/units/sprites? Any info would be helpfull thanks....

Edited By ozone on 1127230290
do it.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

iirc the angle for units is 30º from the horizontal, ie looking directly above the unit's head, aim the camera down 30º
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Actually 30º is a bit steep.

In anim8or terms I had the camera's location at 0,370,800, its orientation as -22.2,-180,0 and the FOV at 50. It does depend a lot on the scale of the model you're rendering (mine tend to be on the large side). If the model renders too small within that setup, reduce the FOV until its right - try not to move the camera except for centering the model.

I generally aim at a 300x300 render where the unit's height is around 110 pixels from head to foot.

Hope that helps :)
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Martin

Post by Martin »

It should be posible to get the exact FOV and pitch from myth's source code.
i took a look, but the code involved is pretty complex, macros using macros that use other macros etc :-)

I made a screenshot of a mesh as displayed in myth (fully zoomed out), and compared it to the same map rendered with my own 3D engine, trying different pitches and FOV's

the values i get are very different from those u are talking about, iron, and i'm pretty sure of the values i got, pitch arround -41, field of view 70 degrees (might be expressed as 35 in some programs)

the values, if correct, should allow to render objects of any size.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Its probably best just to render a single frame from the various angles and put it into Myth. See if it looks right & play with the render angle until you're happy.
Point

Post by Point »

Since myths camera zooms in and out... it seems best to pick a value between the two set points... 22.5 and 30 degrees... I use 25 degrees and if my eyes dont decieve me it looks right.... especialy since most players play with max zoom out all the time...
Iron good to see you still around and kicking :) I hope my email found its way to you..... Point
ozone

Post by ozone »

I have made an actual CUBE model and put it into myth dead center on a black cmap. When I take a screenshot of it and match the angle up in a 3d program the angle that matches up almost perfectly is 25 degrees down for horizontal. Now there are alot of other factors involved with this Im seeing. FOV is one of them. If your FOV is too wide the back of your cube/crate would narrow in too much. Now the thing is, FOV has alot to do with the distance between the object and the camera. I found that an FOV of 8-12 with a camera set pretty far away gives you the best results for matching the look of the model cube. Im in the process of making a small diagram to show you what I mean...cheers

here is the diagram:

Edited By ozone on 1127319894
do it.
Point

Post by Point »

Nifty :D
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

So use 25 degrees then ;)

Ultimately, with sprites, you arent going to get a 'perfect' view from all the possible zoom angles, so try to taylor it for the most common viewpoint, which is max zoom.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Or go against the grain and just render your units at 90º, fight the machine!
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

hehe Hara :) Point - sorry I didn't get your email.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I found some perhaps useful info in model making and unit making tutorials by The Pope, and Rohan.

(the links above take you to the entire articles at the myth graveyard. The graveyard is experiencing some funkiness but the articles themselves are still readable)

ON RENDERING MODELS IN BRYCE: "For Rendering Scenery Frames, you'll need to set the Tilt of the camera to Match the Myth2 Engines general characteristics. That's of course 30 Degree Tilt. HOWEVER, sometimes, taking the Tilt as shallow as 20 Degrees is needed(If the scenery looks to top heavy at 30)." --the pope

FOV (in bryce): "Set the Camera using the correct tilt and field of view( Rotate X :20-30 degrees , FOV : 10 )." --the pope

on RENDERING UNITS:

"Myth units are shown from a 30º angle from the ground (more or less). Set your camera accordingly. Also give a lot of room around your unit in the camera window, then add some more room just to be safe. This is the time to set the background in your scene. I use 0 Red, 0 Green, 255 Blue as the background color. This is important later on.

Now scale the window for the camera to get the right size for your unit. Do test renders to see how tall the unit is in pixels, not the unit and the background. Just to give you an idea: A warrior is about 62 pixels tall, and a trow is 74. You can adjust the size of a unit in Fear later on, but the bigger the sprites, the more toll on the myth engine. So just do as I say and everything will work out for the better ;)

Before you move on, make sure your unit is not huge or your camera lens is not set to something wacky like fish eyed or panoramic. We don't want him/her/it distorted later on." -- Rohan
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

units the strange way tutorial, my favorite said 25 degrees angle and an 80mm lens for poser units.
That always makes them look good.
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.