Making units run... - HOW?!!!!  EEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.

Post by »

Okay, I'm stuck...the manual you gave me said I could only get units with a running animation to "Charge". So, how do I get say, a default warrior to charge, or a beserk to charge? As far as I know, they don't have running animations. I could be wrong, but how do I find out and where do I add one in? If you can't tell, I'm trying to make a simple plugin (well, decently simple, its probably more complicated than I realize...but...), before I move onto harder stuff.
Vidmaster's Oath:
I pledge to punch all switches, to never shoot where I could use grenades, to admit the existence of no level except Total Carnage, to never use Caps Lock as my ‘run’ key, and to never, ever, leave a single Bob alive.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

here's a copy of the myth 1.4 mapmaking guide project magma did:

Grass Terrain Cost, value 4 - Charge!
This only applies to units that have a Running sequence. It uses two other terrain fields - Snow Terrain Cost must hold a value being the distance in world units from enemies within which the unit will start running, and Rocky Terrain cost holding the percentage by which its speed is to increase (eg 50 to increase speed by 50%). The unit will run not only when ordered to attack, but also when damaged by an enemy within the Snow cost range. We considered stamina, but did not find a satisfactory method of implementing it in Myth.

this means that in fear, in the monsters tag, if you go to the terrain parameters of the unit and you check the grass terrain and you add a #4, and then the same with the other 2 parameters= and your unit has a running animation= this will make the unit charge.
Now this means you NEED your unti to have a running sequence.
I have no idea if berserks have one, the sequences are conformed in AMBER, a program that let's you import sprites into the game and lets you create animations.
If a unit doesn't have a running sequence BUT you still want to create one (without making new sprites) you could copy the walking animation to a new running sequence and make it happen "faster" that way the unit would accelerate in the last paces of his attack.
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.

Post by »

So I need to use Amber? Damn, this is more complicated that I though...oh well...
Vidmaster's Oath:
I pledge to punch all switches, to never shoot where I could use grenades, to admit the existence of no level except Total Carnage, to never use Caps Lock as my ‘run’ key, and to never, ever, leave a single Bob alive.
ozone

Post by ozone »

I dont think you need to actually have a "run" sequence in the collection. You only need one SET in fear. For my monsters I have run set to the walk sequence and the animation seems to speed up on tis own when they charge...

The important part is the terrain costs carlinho mentioned.
do it.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

you are right!
...you can use the walk sequence and change the other parameters to make it faster
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.

Post by »

ozone wrote:I dont think you need to actually have a "run" sequence in the collection. You only need one SET in fear. For my monsters I have run set to the walk sequence and the animation seems to speed up on tis own when they charge...

The important part is the terrain costs carlinho mentioned.
right, but run is as new feature in 1.4 isn't it? Or has it always been there? Cause, as I've said, I have the Mac version...
Vidmaster's Oath:
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Run is a new setting for 1.4, but enabling it is done using settings that were originally unused in Fear (ever noticed the Terrain Cost boxes that sit there doing nothing?).
So the charge option and several neat unit options (as noted in the 1.4 map-maker document which Carlino quoted and which you can view here) are available for Macs. It's a little bit more fiddly to enable them, but they are there!
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
ozone

Post by ozone »

in the monster tag open, click on the sequences button on bottom right..this si a list of sequences the monster uses for certain actions. You should see run there.
do it.