Myth crashing on stock maps?

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
RoT

Post by RoT »

Hey dudes, Whenever I play a stock map like The Wall or Desert or Float, Myth will suddenly crash about 3 mins into the game, as if I force-quitted or something. This doesnt happen to all stock maps, but it happens ONLY to stock maps. Is there anything I can do, save a reinstall, that can keep this from happening?

Thanks

RoT

ps. I'm running on windows xp.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Does this also happen when you play back films (of games played by other people and completed succesfully) on the same maps?

Does anything show up in your mythlog?

Do you notice any patterns between the maps it crashes on (ie certain unit types, scenery types, etc).

If this is happening with DirectX rendering, if you switch to Software Mode, does this still happen?

The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for us to debug and hopefully fix this problem.
RusherOfThrall

Post by RusherOfThrall »

Myrd wrote:Does this also happen when you play back films (of games played by other people and completed succesfully) on the same maps?

Does anything show up in your mythlog?

Do you notice any patterns between the maps it crashes on (ie certain unit types, scenery types, etc).

If this is happening with DirectX rendering, if you switch to Software Mode, does this still happen?

The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for us to debug and hopefully fix this problem.
Yes, It happens in films, too. In fact, in both my films and actual games I reliably crash about 10 minutes into the action. I'm off to test it in software rendering mode right now, so I'll have an answer for you soon. I am fairly certain that the game crashes regardless of my unit configuration.

As for the myth log, what is that?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

mythlog.txt is a text file in your Myth directory (which would be something like C:\Program Files\Myth II) which is where myth records information when it's running, and thus this file can sometimes help with debugging.
RusherOfThrall

Post by RusherOfThrall »

It crashed again but there was nothing wierd in the mythlog.

In software mode the error doesn't happen
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Try seeing if there are updated drivers available for your video card, since we've narrowed it down to a problem with DirectX.
RusherOfThrall

Post by RusherOfThrall »

Ok, it happened again, even with the latest drivers ;( here is the mythlog:

2004-12-21 22:03:24
Myth II Build 234 running under Modern Windows 5.010000 ----------------------------------------------
Scanning for software devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for Direct3D devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for 3Dfx devices...
Found 0 to use
Using DirectInput
Mouse appears to have 3 buttons and 3 axes.
Initialized for DirectSound3D using COM
Loading Patch Files...
Patch 1.2
Patch 1.3
PlayMyth v1.2.1
PMI_WWII Theme
Patch 1.4
Patch 1.4 Interface
Patch 1.5
Loading Patch Files Succeeded
Error: Data Missing in .\Myth2Code\cutscenes\cutscenes.c, line #369: Unable to find the following cutscene - prologue.smk

Running Direct3D (SAPPHIRE RADEON 9600 ATLANTIS) at 1152 x 864, 16 bit
Starting mesh "The Wall"...
Quitting networked game...
Running Direct3D (SAPPHIRE RADEON 9600 ATLANTIS) at 1152 x 864, 16 bit
Starting mesh "The Wall"...
---------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing wierd.