os 9  -  os x filesharing network - unrelated to myth*

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
skrew

Post by skrew »

i just got a new comp... well i got it a few weeks ago, and ive been trying, rather halfheartedly to get a filesharing network happening so i can finally resume my mything when my modem is fixed, and it doesnt appear that i can connect them ive tried everything neither computer picks up the other. its an old old imac on 9.2.2 with no firewire so im using an ethernet cable. and i dont have access to the internet to download any software other than the standard osx stuff, any help techie peopley?
King kong died for our sins!
lank

Post by lank »

try downloading a hotline server, or ftp or some such. it's not quite the same as networking two computers with the same OS, but better than none at all. as long as you have a LAN working and know the IP of each machine, you can use hotline or ftp to share files between your computers.
*toot*
CIK

Post by CIK »

Open up your networking prefs on your OS X machine and set your TCP/IP address to 192.168.0.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 for your ethernet connection. Open the Sharing prefs pane turn on File Sharing. On your OS 9 box open your TCP/IP control panel and set it's address to 192.168.0.2, same subnet mask. Now open the chooser and select AppleShare click connect by IP address or something like that and enter 192.168.0.1. You will no be prompted for your user name & password for your OS X box. Finally you will get a list of shared folders from the OS X, at a min you should see the home folder listed for the user you just logged in as.

Now you can just use the good old Finder and move your files across.