M2 1.5.1 Fear app launch error

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
aqaraza

Post by aqaraza »

needless to say, i was chomping at the bit to use the OS X Loathing; but when i hilighted Fear as well, it was labelled as a normal Application [rather than Classic App] with a mod date of today.. with glee, i figured this meant it was now OS X ready too! launched it, and:

Application Launch Failure

The application "Fear" could not be launched because of a shared library error: "<Fear_><Fear_><InterfaceLib><>"

so, i went back and did a fresh install into a new folder. but when i launch Fear, the same error appears. Loathing launches fine.

even if Fear is not done being OSX'ized, i still at least need to be able to launch *some* version of it. :)

any idea what's wrong? thanks!

- aqaraza
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Sounds like its either got the filetype screwed (it should be Creator=FEAR type=APPL) or its not seeing it as a Classic app. To fix the latter do a Get Info on the file and tick the checkbox where it says "Open in the Classic Environment"
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
aqaraza

Post by aqaraza »

hrm, so Fear is indeed still a Classic app? darn. :) any plans to os x'ize it as well? :)
aqaraza

Post by aqaraza »

hm; interestingly, when i switch the checkbox to Open in Classic, it *still* gives me the error on launch.

can anyone else repeat this problem? what environment does it open in for other OS X / Mac users once updated?
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Well ... I'm still running mine in Classic with no problems. Hmm.

I'm afraid Fear will never be updated to become OSX native, but work is well underway on a brand new tag editor which will hopefully fill the void.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
aqaraza

Post by aqaraza »

odd. i did re-install the original Fear and it works; but i am positive that the updater touched the original i had, and that was when it stopped working. maybe that should be removed from the release? hopefully if any others have their Fear incapacitated by the installer, they'll see this thread and re-install the old Fear.
WaaMatt

Post by WaaMatt »

I also get the launch error in Fear, "Launch in Classic Environment" checked or un-checked.

: (

Will this new tag editor incorporate some of the features of the old 3rd part editors? Like the Vista tools? That'd be swell!
Waagh!
OmeR_666

Post by OmeR_666 »

Same for me... It doesn't come from the file type and creator, I've seen it with ResEdit...:(
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Yes, we'll have this fixed shortly w/ an updated installer.
WaaMatt

Post by WaaMatt »

... As a "until the next tool is done" fix? Do you guys have a fancy name for the proposed new tag editor?
Waagh!
CIK

Post by CIK »

Yes, but the problem is there are several in progress. We don't know which one will actually be finished first and be delivered.
WaaMatt

Post by WaaMatt »

See, now would be a time where I'd beg to help in the coding, but since I never stick to what I say I'm going to do, I've never bothered to get in any way proficient with programming languages other than HTML (and, to a lesser extent, CSS).

Well, I'm sure you guys'll do an excellent job at whatever is you release, and I eagerly await it!
Waagh!