Direct3D problems - :(

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
DagorFunk

Post by DagorFunk »

I don't know if I have the right to complain because I didn't take part in the beta test this patch is no good for me. I've never had problems running Myth on this computer for 5.5 years until this patch, and all of a sudden my fps have plummetted. I get about 3-4 fps running in D3D and about 12 in software. This is a far cry from the 50+ I was getting before. I tried updating the drivers and it hasn't helped.

My specs are:
P3 450
256 mb RAM
16 mb ATI Rage 128
Windows 98

One of the reasons I've played this game for all these years is because it ran well on my computer (and its lots of fun). I can still play in software mode but it becomes very hard to micro in large battles and its ugly. If you have any suggestions they'd be much appreciated.

Cheers.
capital

Post by capital »

Not sure, but do you have a rendering option for openGL? If so, try using that.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Hey Dagor, try wiping your prefs (back them up somewhere first if you don't want to lose them altogether) and see if that makes a difference. Also does it happen when playing a solo game, or just when you're online?
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Balor's Nephew

Post by Balor's Nephew »

Hi!

I've had the same problem (if we're speaking of Myth2, aren't we?). My frames were the most time between 10 and 15... *brrrr* veeeery cruel to play ...
Up to patch 1.3 no changes... I was desperating, when suddenly the godlike Magmaists helped me out of my agony :)
Now, with the installed 1.5 it works excellent under Direct3D.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Dagor, please let us know if removing the prefs works or not for you. A few other people have a similar problem & we do want to nail down the solution as soon as possible. Good thing we're releasing a month or two _before_ the MWC for a change :)
ndaggie1

Post by ndaggie1 »

I am having the exact same problem. My computer doesn't support OpenGL I guess because when I enable it and try to load a game my screen turns black and I have to press the power button on my computer. When I try to load Myth after enabling OpenGL it says illegal operation and I have to uninstall and reinstall Myth. I don't like to use software because it looks crappy. But anyway when I use Direct3D my frame rate drops way down in single player mode. I haven't tried it online yet. I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times and it has done no good. I didn't have this problem with the beta of 1.5.1 or with 1.5 and I am wondering if anyone can help me. My system specs are:

500 mhz Celeron
256 mb of RAM
Integrated Graphics
Windows 98
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Okay, everyone calm down and know that we are investigating the issue. A code change that actually boosts fps on some hardware apparently has the opposite effect on others. Everyone who is having the problem, please post your hardware and software information here, so we can isolate the problem to a certain setup, and fix it properly. Thank you for your understanding.

EDIT: So far, it seems Windows 98 is a common system for those with problems. Anyone not on Windows 98 experiencing D3D issues as well?

Edited By Myrd on 1112139121
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

heh, that's Windows for you ...
ndaggie1

Post by ndaggie1 »

I installed a Creative 3D Blaster Banshee I had laying around and it has a setting called BlasterControl that I can use instead of Direct3D. It works fine now. I also think it supports OpenGL. :) Hope ya'll get that problem worked out.
DF Oblivian

Post by DF Oblivian »

OpenGL doesn't work with my card. Its just as bad solo as online. I tried deleting my prefs and that didn't help. I guess I should take this as a sign that I should stop using Windows98 but it would be nice if I didn't have to upgrade until I get a new computer (which will hopefully be soon).

-DF
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Well, we are aware that OpenGL does not work properly everywhere.. that is why the other options are still there. But OpenGL does seem to work for some very well (including myself and iron), and it is meant simply as an extra choice for those for whom it works well.

The problem with D3D is real, however and we are pretty sure of what's causing it, the only other information we need is to identify a consistent link between all those having problems, so we can turn that code off for those set of people. So far, the similarity seems to be Windows98 among all people who use, but we need more people that are having problems to post here with their system specs to confirm this hypothesis.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

No, Win98 is generally a very good gaming platform. We're trying to line up people with the problem who'll download and try a test build of Myth that we hope will address the issue. DF if you'd like to join in just say the word :)
Baak

Post by Baak »

Hey Myrd,

As I mentioned in the private testing forum, our PC players were having serious problems on Saturday with Build 257 that sound just like the other ones listed here. Very slow speeds. I was down to 6.5 fps and another player was at 8. Never had that happen before. I am gathering info from our players (many don't get to email regularly during the week).

For sure two people were on Win98 that had very bad problems. One tried OpenGL and had barely enough fps to play. I will get more of his info ASAP, but I know his video card is an ATI radeon 64meg SDR.

I am on WinMe though and had the same terrible problems with fps. My specs are as follows:

WinMe
512 MB RAM
1 GHz AMD Athlon
32 MB ATI Radeon SDR video card

Note: I tried the OpenGL option which was highlighted and got a hard crash to desktop. I didn't think to save the log file though as I was so anxious to figure out what settings would work. I didn't try deleting my prefs, but went through all kinds of permutations. Software rendering got me up to 20 to 22 where my usual average on Direct3D is 60+.

I also swear that on one game (Smells like Death in here) my video went to software mode automatically (this was before I thought about changing it). I exited Myth completely and started back up and it was still in D3D as I had set it. Not sure what happened there.

I have not tried playing solo on the WinMe boot (I work on the same machine on Win2KPro, which is what I'm on now). A solo game using Build 258 on the same map (Twister) went from the 6.5 fps in D3D I had on Saturday using WinMe to 22 in software mode and 36 to 51 in D3D on Win2KPro (low values over water). This is the 8-dark mesh that has rain as well.

Hope this helps.

I will post more info as I gather it.

[Edit:] Iron: sign me/us up for the test build. I can check it and there's a possibility someone else in our group could as well. I can give them the link privately as we did on Saturday.

Edited By Baak on 1112151967
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Baak ... thanks for the info. Atm we're trying to narrow down what on earth changed from build 256-257 that caused the problem, because there was very little different between the two & nothing obvious to blame...
Baak

Post by Baak »

Glad to be of help. We were originally going to test Build 256 in our Saturday Match but then Build 257 came out after the Wednesday test you guys had.

Another of our PC players just got back to me. I didn't think he really had any problems - nothing like some of us - and as I suspected, he was on WinXP personal. There are two others that also didn't seem to have much of a problem that are also on WinXP personal.

Could it be something to do with using (or not using) something in DirectX or other Windows libraries that is readily available in later Windows versions but not in Win98 or even WinMe? As far as I know, I am the only player in our group using WinMe.

I'll let you know as I get more info. Let me know if there is other info that could be helpful and I will do my best to get it for you.

Some of the guys are organizing a Friday test night. Most of us can't play during the week due to work issues.