Rotating Formations

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Ismaul

Post by Ismaul »

Hi. I just bought Myth the Total Codex, which I wanted to play for a long time, and installed TFL and the 1.5 Update. The problems is that since right-clicking now attacks ground, there is no way I know of to control formation orientation. I was able to find a way to change the facing of a stationary unit, by left-clicking on it and holding while right-clicking and dragging in the direction I want the unit to face. While this is a bit complicated, it's much better than nothing. I hope there is a way to rotate formations and/or to specify, before moving, the desired orientation of a unit at its destination.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Attacking the ground by right-clicking is optional and can be set on or off in preferences, but the way I've always designated direction is by left-clicking and sort of just flicking the mouse in the direction I want units to face.
Industry

Post by Industry »

Wait you mean to tell me that there was some other way to orient units besides the game-sales-limiting "gesture flicking"?
Gleep

Post by Gleep »

From the Myth: TFL quick reference: Quickly move the mouse in the direction you want your units facing as you release the mouse button.

After playing lots of M2 the lack of right mouse button gesture clicking in TFL is very annoying and evident. Also rotating presets with the scroll wheel would be nice. Somehow I doubt a new version of Myth: The Fallen Lords will ever come out, but I can dream.
Ismaul

Post by Ismaul »

First, I don't have the option to set on or off attacking ground by right-clicking, at least it's not present in the Preferences menu. All I have as an option is to right-click to deselect.

Second, flicking doesn't work, or I don't know how to use it. If I select a unit and tell it to move somewhere, releasing the mouse button, and then move the mouse in the direction I want the unit to face, it doesn't work. It happens whether I chose a formation or not. If I do the same thing, but instead of releasing I drag the mouse in the direction I want the unit to face, the unit gets deselected.

The only way I'm able to change a unit direction without having it running around is, like I said before, by left-clicking on it and holding while right-clicking and dragging in the direction I want the unit to face. Right-clicking while holding left-click gives me some kind of yellow arrow that tells the direction the unit will face. This cannot be coupled with a command to move.

By unit formation orientation and rotation, I didn't mean rotating the presets. I guess this needs illustration.

Every time my units are in this position (a), no matter where they are facing, and I move them in the arrow's direction, they will end up as shown (Line formation selected or not).

a b
a b
a --------> b
a b
a b
a b

Is there a way to change the orientation when selecting a formation? (I know that orientation should not be changed when you move without chosing a formation) Like this:

a
a
a --------> b b b b b b
a
a
a

The only way I can get them on a horizontal line when they are in this position is by moving them down (while chosing a formation)

a
a
a
a
a
a

|
v

b b b b b b

Damn, this is getting complicated.

Post by »

Okay, to get a formation to change directions there are three ways to do it. One was the way that was previously mentioned, by clicking and holding down on the selected units until the arrow appears and then dragging in the direction you want them to face. Another way is to hold down option or alt after selecting your units and then telling them which direction to face.
For example...lets say we want a group of archers to be in the long line formation facing east and they're facing south.
1.current formation:

a a a a a a a (facing south)

2. press "2"
3. hold down option (or alt) and click somewhere (while still hold option or alt) and choose a direction by dragging...

4. ending position:

a
a
a
a (facing east)
a
a
a

Another way is to press left or right on the keyboard while you have units selected to get them to face different directions...
Vidmaster's Oath:
I pledge to punch all switches, to never shoot where I could use grenades, to admit the existence of no level except Total Carnage, to never use Caps Lock as my ‘run’ key, and to never, ever, leave a single Bob alive.
Ismaul

Post by Ismaul »

Thanks for the info, but it's still not working.
Alt doesn't help, and units do not change orientation if I press the directional keys. That, coupled with the fact that I don't have the option in preferences to change the right-click to attack behavior makes me think that I'm experiencing some kind of bug. I have also noticed that the myth_tfl.exe process stays after I quit the game, and I need to end it to be able to launch the game again.

Could it be that the TFL 1.5 patch is not made to go over a pre-patched 1.3 version (from Total Codex)? Does someone have some insight on the issue? Anyways, I'll try reinstalling.

Edit: Reinstalling doesn't change a thing.

Post by »

The Codex TFL 1.3 is the same as all the other TFL 1.3 versions. Try updating to 1.4.5 or whatever the heck the previous version was, and delete your preference files too. Also, it could be your computer has set right-click to control-click, check and see.

TFL is older than Myth II, so I could have gotten the commands mixed up. I've found myself (when playing TFL) having to orient the camera towards the direction I want them to face, clicking where I want them to go after choosing a formation and then making minor adjustments using the click-and-hold option described previously.
Vidmaster's Oath:
I pledge to punch all switches, to never shoot where I could use grenades, to admit the existence of no level except Total Carnage, to never use Caps Lock as my ‘run’ key, and to never, ever, leave a single Bob alive.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Ismaul wrote:Second, flicking doesn't work, or I don't know how to use it. If I select a unit and tell it to move somewhere, releasing the mouse button, and then move the mouse in the direction I want the unit to face, it doesn't work. It happens whether I chose a formation or not. If I do the same thing, but instead of releasing I drag the mouse in the direction I want the unit to face, the unit gets deselected.
Yeah, you are doing the right thing here, but there could be one of two problems:
1) You are going to slow, its a quick flick

2) TFL lacks persistent formations (at least when I use it...). So if you tell your units to go somewhere, with out giving them a formation, there new positions will all be relative. Usually this get annoying when your units are in transit, and you click and they get all spread out. You can not "flick" the direction while they are doing this. But, if you give them a formation, you should be able to flick the direction (so instead of *click* ; *flick*, you do "2" *click* *flick*, which will point the formation in the direction you click.

Hope that helps
-DA
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

I think DA is right. The click + flick has to be done in one smooth motion that takes practice. Sort of a quick clickflick even.