How to install Myth II from scratch w/o OS 9

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
dcf

How to install Myth II from scratch w/o OS 9

Post by dcf »

I have the original disks for Myth I and Myth II, but I no longer have OS 9. Is there a method for constructing a full installation without requiring the execution of the Classic OS installer? The documentation appears to be silent on this point. I would love to get back to playing Myth again.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Grab the 1.5.1 disk image here: http://hl.udogs.net/files/Myth%20II%201 ... h2_151.dmg

Mount it, and use the Installer (not the updater) while you have your Myth II CD inserted, it will Install from the CD straight onto your hard drive with all the updates. Have fun!
Elfinstone

having difficulty

Post by Elfinstone »

I got the disk image from the link in this thread, ran the installer with my disk in the drive. Installation went ok. I ran the updater next, all seemed ok. I already had the 1.6 beta in my application folders. I dropped that 1.6 folder into the updated myth folder, but when trying to start the 1.6 game I got the message that fondation files could not be found and even with the cd in the drive 1.6 would not fire up.

So what's next?
Suggestions welcome.
regards,
tm

Macbook Pro Intel Core Duo - 2.16 Ghz
Tiger - latest update
2 gb Ram.
Elfinstone

Post by Elfinstone »

Oh one other thing.
I did this twice. The first time I ran the full installer without running also included updater. Did all the rest....still gave the same non game working result.

Looking for what I can do next...
again ...regards,
tm
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Ok, you don't need to run the Updater. Just use the Installer.

For 1.6, don't place the folder in your Myth II folder, instead place the contents of the 1.6 folder into your Myth II folder. Specifically, Myth II 1.6 application should be in the same folder as stuff like the tags folder, plugins folder, etc.
Elfinstone

Post by Elfinstone »

ok will give this a try.
thanks
E
Elfinstone

Post by Elfinstone »

no luck.

I do have a copy of a working game folder on my G4 which I brought over and was playing through Rosetta.

I copied the folder contents from 1.6 into that but that didn't work either, though the game as 1.5.2 or the latest version...worked fine itself.

when copying I allowed some of the contents to overwrite...not sure if I should have done that.

ah well...maybe try this all again from scratch later tonight.
thanks
tm
Elfinstone

Post by Elfinstone »

Ok figured it out.
After using the full installer script to get the 1.5.2 installed properly using the install CD's. You don't just drag all the contents of the 1.6 os x package into the myth II folder. You copy into that folder all things from 1.6 but you do not OVERWRITE any existing files.

So that dumps just certain files into the older mythII folder.

Worked fine after that.
cheers,
E
davidmcmillen

Myth I approach?

Post by davidmcmillen »

Hi, I have exactly the situation described in this thread (I have my old Myth I and II CDs, and part of something called "Myth: The Total Codex"), and I'm trying to get them installed. One extra wrinkle is that I'm doing it on an Intel-based Macbook.

I can't run the installers directly from the CDs, for either game: I get a "you cannot open the application because it is not supported on this system" error.

For Myth II, the 1.5.1 dmg file included an installer, and using that allowed me to install from the CD, and that all seems to work, so far.

What I'm trying to find is something equivalent for Myth I TFL, but so far all the updaters I've seen seem to assume that I've already installed the game, which I can't do without some sort of Intel-compatible installer, it seems. Is there a Myth TFL installer out there that someone could point me at?

I'd be grateful for any help!

Thanks,
Dave
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

You don't actually need an installer. Just copy over the 'Myth The Fallen Lords Æ’' from the TFL CD, and then copy the "Tags" and "Modules" folders in the CD into that folder. Then you can do the 1.5.1 update. That's how I got it onto my Intel Mac.
The cake is a lie.
davidmcmillen

Thanks

Post by davidmcmillen »

Thanks so much for the fast help, it worked perfectly! I never did play through TFL the first time (years ago), just Soulblighter, so I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks again.
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

If you like singleplayer, be sure to play the "Chimera" plugin in Myth II as it's another solo campaign from Bungie.