Mazz 6 Heroic

Talk about anything here.
Truth

Mazz 6 Heroic

Post by Truth »

Hey Cp, we just been playing heroic mazz 6 and got to black thrall and pop doesnt seem to be working? we had a pop going for like 10 mins at least and this has happened twice.. we're debating whether this is a bug or whether its a curveball youve thrown our way:)
just a yes or no is fine, dont spoil it if its a feature :O
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Truth, you mean Mazzarin's Dispersal spell (blue) or Watcher's Dispersal (red)?
rabican

Post by rabican »

Mazz dream.... watcher dream is very ,very fucked up too tough :o

lost 3 heroics in a row to this dream blackthrall bullshit .
Truth

Post by Truth »

we just did it again.. heh.

blue pop doesnt dmge black thrall on heroic, 3 times in arow. we thought maybe blue might counter the red pop that heals but that didnt work either. so basically fighting invincible black thrall being perma red popped and dying :)

blue pop doesnt do a lick of dmge!
buckweaver

Post by buckweaver »

wathcer's vengance is, was perpetual. I can send a film if you'd like to take a look.

I remember having a perpetual Mazz vengance going in a game once in mazz V for an easy victory, have you ever seen this?
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Ah, I see, you're casting Mazzarin's Disperal on top of the Watcher's red Dispersal. Mazzarin's Dispersal is actually damaging the thrall, just not as quickly as the red dispersal (which acutally damages thrall every other pop too, believe it or not) "heals" the thrall back up.

A perpetual red dispersal is very nasty when it occurs (three games in a row is pretty unlucky though) but there are counters to it. Without giving it totally away, I'll just say the best solution involves the Paladin. If the Paladin is already dead, it gets a lot harder, but it's not necessarily totally hopeless.

One regular dispersal won't help, but try combinations of as many super damage area of effect spells as you can muster. Five or more dispersals combined with multiple seversects might do it. Vengeances, Storm Clouds, Flame Barriers, Spheres of Annihilation, Death Bolts, and Meteors thrown in for good measure could help too if you can cast them fast enough. The best bet, however, is to lure the thrall over a fully matured Rift or two.

If you don't have enough high powered spells left, the only hope is to split the thrall up, but for that you need to have ample units left plus a lot of skill and luck.

The only other advice I can give is to concentrate on killing the black thrall faster as you first detect them, eliminating them before enough can clump for a red Dispersal to go perpetual.
rabican

Post by rabican »

No, we are not talking about that, regular mazz dispereal DOES NOT damage blackthrall on heroic. regardless of watcher disp. happened twice in a row :O just endless popping dungbung
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

I can't think of any reason for that happening other than perhaps the Myth engine's projectile limit being temporarily overrun - but that usually turns off the dispersal entirely. Can you please email me a film of this happening to the same address as win submissions? Incidently, there is no special difference in dispersals, or black thrall, between Heroic and other difficulites.
Truth

Post by Truth »

ive got our last 2 attempts cp, whats you addy? i cant find it in your profiles or anything :O
Truth

Post by Truth »

hah i need to learn to read, "send them to same address as win submissions" nub cakes. sending now
CRC

Post by CRC »

Hi, I'm CRC, a Japanese Mazz freak. :D I was on that game.
ChrisP wrote:I can't think of any reason for that happening other than perhaps the Myth engine's projectile limit being temporarily overrun - but that usually turns off the dispersal entirely.
I think this is it. I saw, A) dream didnt work, B) elec's strike didn't hurt ghost mort but heron attack did, C) mega para arrow didn't freeze watcher but normal one did, D) elec's bolt didn't blow vile. All of these were happened on that game (one truth sent I believe).

Area effect does not to work under certain condition it seems.
ducky

Post by ducky »

yea actually, come to think of it I've had cases where I used chain lightning (i think this happened near the end of a game) on a group with elec to no effect (ie. you can see lightning spread across the pack of ghols, but they're all still alive, unhurt, & attacking). Usually I just thought I was seeing things.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Thanks for the films, Truth. The problem is the engine's simultaneous detonation limit is being overrun. I believe Myth can handle up to 96 simultaneous area of effect detonations. Apparently, enough dispersals going at once can breach that limit, and all the lich whirlwinds that were flying around at the same time didn't help either. I'm still surprised that many explosions were occuring at once as it sure didn't look like it, but perhaps some weren't showing visual effects. By the way, some pops were still damaging thrall; if you look closely, occasionally a thrall would still die or get hurt.

Unfortunately, there's not much I can do about it even were I to release a patch. I know it doesn't happen every game, though it is just as likely to happen on any difficulty - not just heroic. If it does happen again, use melee to kill as many area of effect attacking monsters as possible - especially liches to keep them from casting whirlwinds and fire fountains. Otherwise, keep running till it hopefully eventually dies out.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

I actually saw that problem in a special effect for Dol Baran a few years ago, and it occurred at way less than 96 simultaneous detonations. I'd have said the limit was closer to 16 from what I observed.
buckweaver

Post by buckweaver »

Isn't it more likely to happen on higher difficulty settings?

It seems there are more monsters casting area of effect spells late in an heroic game than there are late in a timid.