myth vault, myth 3

Talk about anything here.
Floyd

myth vault, myth 3

Post by Floyd »

ayy i checked the myth vault today and liked it. i was curious to who is making the Myth 3 for Myth 2?
Muhammad is the most common given name in the world. Chang is the most common family name. There are, however, very few people named 'Muhammad Chang.'
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

check the owner of the screenshots (i'll give you a hint, it's Gizmo).

As for the status of the project, I believe it's stalled/abandoned but you would need to get the details from him.

Perhaps with the right motivation it could be picked back up again. I for one think it's a great idea, much like magma's original project to convert m2 maps and units to m2.
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

Doobie wrote:much like magma's original project to convert m2 maps and units to m2.
That sound like waste of time to anyone else?

:oops: :lol:
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

If the project is cancelled, I hope he'd be willing to release the meshes--they look great.
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

TheHelmet wrote:
Doobie wrote:much like magma's original project to convert m2 maps and units to m2.
That sound like waste of time to anyone else?

:oops: :lol:
Heh, my mistake, to convert m2 maps and units to TFL...
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

yeah although its quite some time since I had M3 installed, I felt very nostalgic remembering my M3 gamespy days looking at the screenies.

I always thought it would be awesome to have the M3 multi maps ported to M2, Tour de Forts, Seasons, Leadfeathers "A Place to Stand" and some other maps were muchos fun to play and I miss them.
I wear a plastic ass on my bag ~ Da Cheeze
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

I only remember hurting my eyes the first time I played that winter map... it's beh-rigght!

I think what puts people off trying to port m3 stuff to m2 is that the colourmaps could get a lot more detail in m3 which would get lost in the port, and the models used in m3 are a pain to port (or, something, I think I've overheard, some time back, maybe).

If I knew the m3 community wouldn't be anal about the accuracy of the ports I might give it a try myself. Time is an issue though.. :oops:
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

Well I wasn't overjoyed seeing that they had simply replaced an Avatara m3 unit with a m2 shade unit while porting and replacing Connact with Alric seemed a bit lame to me.

However I'm pretty sure I could live with it
I wear a plastic ass on my bag ~ Da Cheeze
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Some M3 units were cool (I like the Iron Trow, Moagim, and The Watcher - well, I liked the model, but it's not how I had The Watcher pictured myself). On the whole, though, I much prefer the look of the M2 units. I'll take M2 myrks over M3 myrks any day.

The only other thing I really liked about M3 was the variety of weapons among a single unit type - warriors with swords and axes, for instance. But I'm not sure that's even possible in M2 without having different unit tags for each weapon variety...?
The cake is a lie.
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

Oh, is it a complete plug already?

Well, as with most conversions and larger mapmaking projects made these days new units are getting more and more scarce since the few people who knew how to make units have been dropping off one by one and there isn't really any influx of animators or modellers for a game that's almost 10 years old now.. :(

And the whole Amber issue is another problem I guess. Not that I can model worth a damn either..
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

Khadrelt wrote:The only other thing I really liked about M3 was the variety of weapons among a single unit type - warriors with swords and axes, for instance. But I'm not sure that's even possible in M2 without having different unit tags for each weapon variety...?
It is possible :)
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

The plugin has about 20 of the 25 maps working, and some of them are simply unportable... ones like The Spider God, and Crypt of Mazzarin... where the level 'unfolds'.... with all the black darkness and lighting up the torches and stuff.... it's just not possible in M2's engine. Also, the Sunhammer level would be impossible to get the effects right. Not to mention the intense amount of work it would be to actually re-create some of the levels with proper models and stuff. It's just such a massive project, for a campaign that isnt _that_ spectacular at all anyway.... for such a small community.... I think those are some of the main reasons it was dropped. I've got a local though.
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

Were any of the multiplayer maps ported?

I might try my hand at one of those, if I can find one whose layout I like.. but I guess models and the like will be an issue there to. Anyhow.. 8)

Great job with the vault, doob!
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Zeph wrote:It is possible :)
How do you do it?
The cake is a lie.
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

A Myth III Multipack plugin for Myth 2 would be good.