Timid, Simple, Normal - any difference?

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
gugusm

Timid, Simple, Normal - any difference?

Post by gugusm »

Is there any difference between these difficulties? I'm looking at the script and I can't see anything.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

on timid your units take much less dmg from the enemy and deal more dmg to enemies. Simple is less apparant, normal is... normal like in multiplayer and i'll let you guess heroic and legendary.
Phex

Post by Phex »

Zeph wrote:on timid your units take much less dmg from the enemy and deal more dmg to enemies. Simple is less apparant, normal is... normal like in multiplayer and i'll let you guess heroic and legendary.
I am not sure if this is correct. I always thought that only unit count and scripted actions might change according to difficulty while the units themselves stay the same.
ozone

Post by ozone »

What zeph is talking about is on solo/co-op. There is no change in damage ratios depending on difficulty level when playing or making a multiplayer map but there is on solo/co-op.
do it.
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

To be clear, I meant solo/co-op. So these damages are changing automatically together with difficulty change? And there aren't any damage difference between normal, heroic and legendary, I think? Cause on heroic and legendary only unit count and scripting does matter, like Phex wrote(?)
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

OK there for sure is a diffirence but does any1 know what exactly changes - lets say on leg : light units have weaker damage or dark units have better resistance ? Also if light units damage on normal difficulty is 100% so whats on heroic and legendary ( 80% and 60% or 75% and 50 % or....) ?
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Timid = Player units resist damage better, giving them an equivalent of 200% health. Enemy AI units attack slower with a 1 second additional pause between attacks.

Simple = Player units have a 120% or 125% health equivalent, I'm not exactly sure which. Enemy AI units have an additional .5 second pause between attacks.

The above only applies in solo/co-op, of course. No non-scripted adjustments for Normal through Legendary.
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Thanks, ChrisP. It makes all clear.
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

ChrisP wrote:Timid = Player units resist damage better, giving them an equivalent of 200% health. Enemy AI units attack slower with a 1 second additional pause between attacks.

Simple = Player units have a 120% or 125% health equivalent, I'm not exactly sure which. Enemy AI units have an additional .5 second pause between attacks.

The above only applies in solo/co-op, of course. No non-scripted adjustments for Normal through Legendary.
So this only matter of light units health and dark units attack speed, right ?
And how about heroic and legendary levels ?
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Tireces wrote:And how about heroic and legendary levels ?
ChrisP wrote: "No non-scripted adjustments for Normal through Legendary."

So, that means you have to script it to make it harder, like adding only Heroic or Legendary units or making some other obstructive actions.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I always was under the imperssion that Timid---Legendary went something like this... and I recall reading it somewhere Bungie related years ago:

Timid Player takes 1/10th damage
Simple Player takes 1/2 damage
Normal Player takes 1.0 damage
Heroic Player takes 1.5 damage
Legendary Player takes 2.0 damage

Not to mention that WITH the scripting and unit settings, you can increase difficulty with monster counts as well. Ie 20 units on timid, but 100 on leg, increasing by 20 each difficulty level as you go up.

The possabilities are endless. :)
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Graydon wrote:I always was under the imperssion that Timid---Legendary went something like this... and I recall reading it somewhere Bungie related years ago:

Timid Player takes 1/10th damage
Simple Player takes 1/2 damage
Normal Player takes 1.0 damage
Heroic Player takes 1.5 damage
Legendary Player takes 2.0 damage
Hmm, on Timid Player takes only 1/10th damage? Maybe these informations are from Bungie, but I don't think it's true :? But maybe I'm wrong, though ChrisP wrote something different.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

In all honesty, I'd trust chris' stats, cause he made mazz, and difficulty in that is a HUGE factor, especially in Mazz 6.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Yeah, my stats above are correct. I tested them a long time ago, and more recently Myrd confirmed them by looking at the code.

Interestingly, the bonus in TFL is x8 player health for Timid and x2 player health for Simple. On one hand, Bungie made the easy difficulties much harder in SB, but they also compensated by allowing solo players to slow the game down to 1/2 speed.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Heh, and then we compensated even further by allowing slowdowns to 1/4 speed from v1.4 onwards :)