World of Myth

Talk about anything here.
Floyd

World of Myth

Post by Floyd »

i heard somewhere that with 1.6, map sizes are unlimited?? meaning you can, in a way make an entire world? what kinds of problems would gigantic maps introduce? insane loading times? too much lag?

also, has the color capacity for maps increased at all? or is it still 240 colors (leaving others for mesh stains and burns) or whatever? it'd be nice to have higher color for more detailed maps and more array of colors.

with an unlimited map size, you could have a coop journey. in away a myth diablo. would be untraditional, but could be fun, specially if there was something like online saved games or something.
Muhammad is the most common given name in the world. Chang is the most common family name. There are, however, very few people named 'Muhammad Chang.'
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

While the 'hard' limit has been lifted, I presume that after some certain size, you'd still end up running into problems. Something like Diablo needs the engine to support splicing maps together at run time. Myth doesn't have that feature.
Welly

biggest colormap

Post by Welly »

Someone awhile back posted "The Greatest Map Never Made: Tides of Light in the Dark."

It is just a large picture of a truly gigantic colormap.

I have it on my drive if anyone wants to see it.

BELOW IS FROM THE READ ME

This file is a desktop picture of the best Myth II map never made. Never made? Yes, the best map never maid. About a month ago I started a map so huge in scope, I had strong reservations about even starting it. The goal was a solo map 3000x3000 in size and scripted in such detail it would challenge the most seasoned Myth player. With a landscape composed of 10 Myth II maps forged into one. A personality molded from giant knights cleaving the earth with a single strike; catapults raining storms of stone and fire; wraiths striking from the shadows; gattling gun cannons besting armies of Trow; and a castle three walls deep mocking your every move. This map was to rise above all others, infusing solo play with an immortal life.
Sounds good, at least in theory. After finishing the displacement, media, and reflection maps I noticed it took three minutes and 45 seconds for a Trow to walk from one end of the map to the other at normal speed. This was truly a huge map. After I placed the models and my first pass at the armies, the horror of the monster I was creating began to show itself. Myth required a minimum of 100 Megs of dedicated RAM to run. After the giant knights and catapults were added the memory requirement jumped to 128 Megs. I estimated that after I added gattling cannons, custom physics and finished the scripting a computer would require 256 Megs of ram to run the plugin. The reality - most people don't have that much memory in their computers and therefore the project wasn't really worth finishing, since I only had a month's worth of time invested. So, the closest we will ever get to seeing Tides of Light in the Dark (the name of the map) on your computer is this desktop picture.
Enjoy!

(c)1998 COPYRIGHT IN WHOLE OR IN PART BUNGIE SOFTWARE PRODUCTS CORPORATION.
CREATED WITH BUNGIE'S FEAR & LOATHING & GRAPHICS CONVERTER

Anyone think it can be made? or utilized properly now?
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

yeah post the picture up, id like to see it.
Muhammad is the most common given name in the world. Chang is the most common family name. There are, however, very few people named 'Muhammad Chang.'
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Who was making it?

To be frank, it sounds not so much "complex" as "lots of things piled into one place"...kind of like a Robert Jordan novel. It's a clearly Mazz-inspired view of what grand-scale gameplay means, and it's not my thing, but if it got made I'm sure it would be impressive.

I would also like to see the colormap.
Fury IX

Post by Fury IX »

omfg 256 mb RAM? impossible... who would ever need that much? :wink:
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Yea I'm curious as to when that was written. Most computers these days come with an absolute minimum of 512 mb ram.

I've currently got a mesh in The Fallen's Vengeance that is running cleanly, and is already bigger than the mesh outlined in this thread, so yea the possability of a 'Myth RPG' is _VERY_ real. It'd be more a limit of scripting map actions that i'd be concerned over, rather than the load times for units and stuff.

Older limits such as 400 units visible at a time, and 240 colour cmaps are still relevant, so you're not getting a higher quality game in terms of graphics...but there's surely possabilities in the myth world now that werent there 3-5 years ago.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

i think for the sake of a LARGE scale map, it'd be nice to see the 240color map limit broken. if in theory a 'whole world' was to be made on one map, the whole map isnt going to share one-like colors and weathers, like just autumn (orange red and yellowish cmap) or just a snow map. it will probably have grassy terrain at some part of the map, and when you travel to the mountains, you find that it is snow-tipped, and so on.

as graydon said, a myth rpg is very realistic. this is why itd be very useful to have online saved game loading. you could have a 'mazz-team' kind of group all come together everyother night and load up their vetted units.

even better if there was a way for each player in a game to load up one unit which theyved vetted.

very unmyth-like, but hey it could be fun too
Gjallarhorn

Post by Gjallarhorn »

Fury IX wrote:omfg 256 mb RAM? impossible... who would ever need that much? :wink:
In the 70s, when they first made the 5 megabyte harddisk, they said it was a practically unlimited supply of harddisk.;)
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Nobody is going to alter limits Floyd. It wont happen.