couple bugs Im trying to squish

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Point

couple bugs Im trying to squish

Post by Point »

Any thoughts on these...

bug one... random collection references.... seems in civil war reloaded on some maps some of the gray guys come up blue at start of game any ideas as to why... the monster tag is the same though the unit tag clearly points to a different Collection reference for each side... is this just an overload kinda error since I have many monster types on the map?

Bug two and maybe this isnt a but but cant we have more than 7 unit trading types.... I thought 8 was the max... yet 7 always is all that shows.. ?
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

I dont know about the color bug, I ran into this problem with AvA too and we're dealing with it on our Power of Ten map..

ANd yes, you can have 8 tradable units, make sure they are all properly set for trading, it should work..
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Well, if it's happening on a Power of Ten map it's not an overload of monster types.

Really bizarre. I've never heard of that happening before.
Point

CR hue change problems....

Post by Point »

ya this seems to be worse... other tags loose the hue change on hard death sometimes... it seems random when it happens ...

also noticing sometimes the cr doesnt activate at all.... so the unit simply has its base amber colors... rather bright and unfortunate....

Any thoughts on whats up?

corupted local or simply the new engine limits leaching in some bugs?
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
cyan21

Heh.

Post by cyan21 »

Bug two and maybe this isnt a but but cant we have more than 7 unit trading types.... I thought 8 was the max... yet 7 always is all that shows.. ?
Also make sure that all the specified units have a unit cost in their monster tags.
Roadwyrm

Post by Roadwyrm »

Did you check the collections for hue changes? There may be a slider color option that is doing this.
toecutter

Post by toecutter »

Also make sure if you used amber that you changed the tag ID when making a dupe of anything.
toe
Baak

Re: couple bugs Im trying to squish

Post by Baak »

Point wrote:bug one... random collection references.... seems in civil war reloaded on some maps some of the gray guys come up blue at start of game any ideas as to why... the monster tag is the same though the unit tag clearly points to a different Collection reference for each side... is this just an overload kinda error since I have many monster types on the map?
Not sure if this is the same problem but it sure sounds similar:

Over the years we've seen a problem in many OoH plugins where a large number of units are converted to the same unit. We've seen it in RDF, UGR, the IWIHM conversions, and others. I've reported it in the past but alas it still crops up.

A very simple example is VR's "I wish I had more Archers" - this converts everything to Archers. Try this plugin with two teams - after hosting a few games (perhaps the key) - and you're almost guaranteed to see it.

What we notice is you'll tend to see it in large team games or FFA games with many players after hosting a few games. If you have a teammate and are captain, selecting all the units that are showing up as the wrong color (they show up as other player's colors), detaching them to a player, then taking them back as captain "resets" the unit colors to your own team. We've never been able to figure out another way to reset them.

To me it seems like some kind of internal buffer overflow in the Myth Engine. Hit so many units using the same colref and it starts using other players/teams for some odd reason.

In RDF 5.1 I made four separate sets of mons/units/collections/colref's for conversions to see if it made things better - and it did - but it is not a 100% solution as we still see it crop up (much to my chagrin), typically if the host has hosted many games without reloading Myth. So it is probably related to that as well.

All-in-all it's an evil little bug that's managed to survive for a very long time. :P