Just an Idea!

Talk about anything here.
zach

Just an Idea!

Post by zach »

What if we could locate somewhere to buy a large number of myth 2 copies for a couple of bucks each. Buy like 1000 copies then advertise sign up an receive a free game somewhere. Is that even legal. How hard would it be to have a donations section to support this cause. People put up money for servers on playmyth. If its possible it might be a way to get new players with out take2 making myth open source.

Just thinking all this work going into myth shouldn't go with out notice i think it should be first priority to get as many people to play as possible. Specially if 1.7 is all i hear it could be.
Arthim

Post by Arthim »

I agree.
Bladetooth

Post by Bladetooth »

Addressing this idea verbatim, I think it’s good. We can support our local indie game stores by offering Myth through the store, and possibly as giveaways at Halo tournaments. I think it would also be a good idea to give free copies of Myth away for Myth community contests (like the mapmaking contest), although I’m not sure that would prove effective at community building per se.

If we could somehow get the rights to release the source code, I think porting the game to the OLPC organization’s XO laptops would be the best community building idea ever, because it lets a bunch of underprivileged third world kids play one of the best games ever made. Hella lag though, I guess. :)

A more profiteering approach would be to try to port the game to XBox Live Arcade. If Marathon can be a successful XBox Live Arcade game, so too can Myth. There’s plenty of analog control for the camera, and enough buttons for game control, I’m sure.
zach

Post by zach »

i was just thinking of something simple that could work we need a few hundred more active people on an it would be a blast playing again i can imagine seeing 2 full rooms of mythers or let alone a full room.

PS myth should never be on xbox MS is scumbags an i boycot there system an XBL for charging like they dont make enough money already.....
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

funny how this discussion comes back every month hehe
vinylrake

Re: Just an Idea!

Post by vinylrake »

zach wrote:What if we could locate somewhere to buy a large number of myth 2 copies for a couple of bucks each. Buy like 1000 copies then advertise sign up an receive a free game somewhere. Is that even legal.
If something has been legally purchased it's entirely legal for it to be resold or given away for free.

I do this on a small scale myself - I've purchased extra copies of Myth II Worlds when I saw it in the bargain bin a few years back and have given them to people I thought would enjoy the game.
zach wrote:Just thinking all this work going into myth shouldn't go with out notice i think it should be first priority to get as many people to play as possible. Specially if 1.7 is all i hear it could be.
No harm in planning ahead, but it would probably make sense to wait until Myth II v1.7 is actually released to start any 'big' advertising campaign. (assuming 1.7 will be out in the semi-near future of course - if it's going to be 6 months off no sense in waiting)
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

1.6 is already great - there's no reason to wait before advertising, else you could be waiting forever (once 1.7 is out, you'll decide to wait until 1.7.1 and then 1.8 or what have you).

Obviously, the detail textures in 1.7 would look more impressive, but that's no reason to wait before starting to promote Myth. Why not promote the current version now, and keep promoting when 1.7 is out - there's no reason that a new update should change any efforts to promote the game...
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

In fact, promoting right after 1.7 may be counter productive. People may complain (as they always do when a new version is out), that there's some bugs or whatever, and would start big flame posts - which may turn off new players from the game, if they see these.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Myrd wrote:In fact, promoting right after 1.7 may be counter productive. People may complain (as they always do when a new version is out), that there's some bugs or whatever, and would start big flame posts - which may turn off new players from the game, if they see these.
heh. if flames are going to turn people off from the game, we better hide the forums completely before we start advertising.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
zach

Post by zach »

good, well that kinda clears some thoughts up from a legal stand point. Now what about having it advertised on a different site you could receive a free game with sign up or something.

Im just thinking we get 1000 copies its possible to get a 200 people out of it or so atleast another hundred online at the same time instead of the 16 people you see on at sometimes.
Bladetooth

Post by Bladetooth »

zach wrote:Now what about having it advertised on a different site you could receive a free game with sign up or something. Im just thinking we get 1000 copies its possible to get a 200 people out of it or so atleast another hundred online at the same time instead of the 16 people you see on at sometimes.
I think we should be really careful about how we distribute copies of Myth. We should target people who haven’t played Myth before, but we should also target people who are LIKELY to play Myth for a while. Advertising free copies of Myth on any old website will just get you a bunch of scroungers who like free stuff.

I’m more inclined to go the “Indie Game Store” route, because you get to know the folks there, and figure out who might actually want a copy. They’ll probably let you demo the game, and that way you can give away copies to folks that actually enjoy it; just don’t try and play AGAINST them, because we don’t want to scare off players with our glorious, magnificent skills.
Arthim

Post by Arthim »

Is there a way to get take2 to start distributeing copies of myth themselves?
for an mmo, click this link:
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Arthim wrote:Is there a way to get take2 to start distributeing copies of myth themselves?
never gonna happen :(
Renwood

What do you have to say ABOUT THIS!

Post by Renwood »

Hostile takeover of T2 with a vanguard of dorfs and gol satchle puss bombs is the only way to get t2 to rerelease the old myth content.

if you want do something like this thread is about, the KEY is TARGETED MARKETING.
As in advertise ONLY where people who would like a product like Myth would see it.

I allways thought those War history magazines for war buffs would be a cool place to start. you know the ones that have real life storys and battlefield accounts from evrey kind of battle throught history.

If you could get the Civil war buffs to know myth has THE BEST CW combat EVER, it would get a lot of players just from them.
Allthough they might only play CW stuff heh.

The current version and fan created myth content over the years is THE BEST combat game ever! myth has it all... Modern combat, Medieval period, Fantasy, Bronze age, WWI, WWII, random fruity future stuff.

Only thing that bugs me is i never see a Revolutionary war myth or any kind of Revolutionary war game from other publishers.

I allways thought approaching the history channel about how they should buy the myth engine and hire a team to make different campains throughout history would be a great idea.

Nepoleonic times, Battle of Thermopylae, Alexander the great,
WWII stuff ( all new units and production, not the old wwii SH plug stuff)

The history channel even uses RTS games in Documentaries to show Combat of whatever period, instead of rendered animations or reinactors. The few times i saw them do this they used IN GAME FOOTAGE from one of the Total War game..i think it was rome, O and i saw them do total war with the Barbarians as well. then even went into the "Fear" part of the game with the developers and talked about how the unit stats were set up.

Heh...it was NOTHING compared to how fear handles things!

OK Happy new year all!

O yea and we could use some more help testing some of our newer content for our Myth Pfhor The wind age project.

Land of Despair COOP map and a new gametype on the new and improved release of Raisin Barn 2. The gameplay works like this and a few other ways as well.

Your hunting peasants in an FFA game...But NPC trow are hunting the pes AND you as well!

www.myth4thewindage.com

Anyways i gotta do some work seeya!

-Renwood
Persica purnus constans dum orbis exustio. Exsequor exequor!
:) Da Cid (: McCl

Post by :) Da Cid (: McCl »

Speaking of hostile takeovers, does your plugin really have anything to do with this thread, Ren?

I like the idea of getting more people to play the game, but I doubt anything could be done without Take 2 getting up in your business.

Has anyone actually asked Take 2 if they're selling, and what for? I'd love to see a port of Myth for the 360 (if they can do the controls right) OR a new Myth game from Bungie. They're probably busy with Phoenix at the moment, though.

-TGP-
Having fun with poser horses and pasted-on Warrior torsos since 1990!™